Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Opticron MM4 60ED or Kowa -602?

Old Wednesday 6th November 2019, 07:50   #1
pw74

Opticron MM4 60ED or Kowa -602?

hi there

I have an old swaro tirol drawscope…

I prefer straight body but fancy either
opticron mm4 60ed

or I see kowa 602

which is better for my money ?

or other recommendations in that bracket with straight body

thank you

Paul
Old Thursday 7th November 2019, 19:58   #2
marcsantacurz

I have the Opticon MM4/60. I mostly use it with the out-of-production 32x wide eyepiece. I also the the SDLv2 for more reach or if I want the zoom. It is very light and compact, which were two of my big check boxes, along with a reasonable price. I'm happy with it. I mostly do photography, so the scope is secondary for me.

I use the angled MM4. It can rotate around the tripod mount, so in a car I can turn it sideways and it mostly works fine, though I do not use it this way much.

I have not used the Kowa 602. I think the MM4 is a tiny bit more compact based on the specs. They are about the same weight.

Based on someone else who recently went through the purchase and comparison process, he much preferred the TSN-660 to the MM4 in terms of the view and other features. He ended up getting the TSN-663. Again, I've not used that.

Marc
Old Friday 8th November 2019, 10:20   #3
mayoayo

The MM4 ED got excellent reviews .The 602 uses standard glass ,so I dont think is going to be in competition with a good unit of the ED MM4.The MM4 should be better controlling Chromatic aberration and probably even brighter.You can fit the Baader hyperion MkIV zoom to the MM4 for a little bit more of reach and a wide wide for that matter.That should be a quite excellent combo for a reasonable price.
Old Tuesday 12th November 2019, 17:46   #4
bioscope

Hello Paul, you can read alot in my describing in the german forum Jülich, Bonn. There are also links to the decision of the tripod and other issues. My Diascope 85 is my azimut.

Hallo mayoayo - the Baader Mk IV can be used in the MM4 with pure disconnecting the black 1,25"-barrel? I think of changing this way because the apparent field of the v2 in the lower mags is very tall, but the sharpness is therefore excellent from 15-45x. Is the Hyperion (near) homofocal in all focal lengths?

Greeitngs from the Opticron-fanboy
Manfred
Old Tuesday 12th November 2019, 17:49   #5
bioscope

There is a very good review of the Hyperion Mk IV at binomania from Italy. You can translate with the Translator at the upper part of the site.
Old Sunday 17th November 2019, 01:49   #6
mayoayo

Hello...The Baader zoom has to be disconnected of the barrel ,yes,and then a small step down ring needs to be fitted,Baader provides those rings if needed,not sure of the price.The eyepiece is not parfocal at high and low magnifications,but in between settings will come to focus really close...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: