Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your most anticipated futures books

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 08:08   #301
rollingthunder

I am going for this one as there is a known resident birder involved with the team.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Mongo...VKRBDZXYT2TQHN

Laurie
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 15:03   #302
James Lidster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
I am going for this one as there is a known resident birder involved with the team.

Laurie
My review here https://www.dutchbirding.nl/recensie...ds_of_mongolia
Have just ordered the new book,
James
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 15:12   #303
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post

Laurie
My criteria would likely center on who painted the plates. If I were to purchase any of the two (for now I need more coverage of South America instead)

Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 21st October 2019, 10:59   #304
andyadcock

I just received this,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Guide...g=vigukb-87-21

It's pretty good in fairness and if it were the only work available for the area, I think we'd be more than happy with it.

Versus the Helm guide, very similar as most FG's are these days and following the usual format with plates facing species account and range maps. On the plus side, slightly cheaper with larger range maps but illustrations are better in the Helm.

Last edited by andyadcock : Monday 21st October 2019 at 11:12.
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 17:26   #305
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I just received this,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Guide...g=vigukb-87-21

It's pretty good in fairness and if it were the only work available for the area, I think we'd be more than happy with it.

Versus the Helm guide, very similar as most FG's are these days and following the usual format with plates facing species account and range maps. On the plus side, slightly cheaper with larger range maps but illustrations are better in the Helm.
I hope we'll get to see some comparative page spreads in the future. Often, Amazon has this view into the book feature, but not so far for this one.

Edit: Thank you James for your fine review in Dutch Birding. There, I also found out, that NHBS already does show some plates and pages for both books! And as most of the time, each book has its advantages and weaknesses.

Another apparent insight: Mongolia has a great number of species that one can see (and possibly already has seen) elsewhere as well. So my question would be about the endemics.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Monday 21st October 2019 at 18:00.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 21st October 2019, 19:44   #306
CerambyX

Quote:
I feel that the Helm guide illustrations are too much of a 'mixed bag' for me. And considering that I've probably already seen most of the illustrations in other Helm guides - I ordered the second book (but haven't received it yet - so maybe there are also some consistency issues). In sample pages the illustrations looked comparable in quality with Helm guide (good, but of course not on Collins level), but at least they were different
Old Tuesday 22nd October 2019, 22:32   #307
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Very much looking forward to two books coming next week :)

Birds of Prey of Australia - a Field Guide_Stephen Debus
https://www.publish.csiro.au/book/7863/
Attachment 707225

Australian Birds of Prey in Flight - a Photographic Guide_Stephen Debus
https://www.publish.csiro.au/book/7792/
Attachment 707226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
I ordered it just on the Author alone - anything by Stephen Debus has got to be worthwhile. Very dedicated man.

Here are a few reviews:
https://www.lfwseq.org.au/australian...rey-in-flight/
https://blog.csiro.au/its-a-bird-its...tizen-science/
Quote:
I really don't like this format at all and it is expensive for what it is!
I had super high expectations here. Agreed. I wasn't as thrilled with the Australian Birds of Prey in Flight Photographic guide as I thought I would be - no rush to get this edition (though there's nothing else better out there. A great idea that could have been executed far better - a lot lot better ! - full review to follow).

The Australian Birds of Prey Field Guide 3rd Edition looks much better value - and I would suggest is all that is needed at this point (+ some judicious internet searches ! :) ..... again, I will do a review later down the track.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 22nd October 2019, 22:43   #308
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Hoping to redeem myself a bit here - fascinating train of thought by Dr. Jan Porkony related to climate science and what I've been banging on about in the "Natural Sequence Farming" thread.

Excellent little summary video here:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...cus_composer=0

Includes links to download the 94 page pdf "Water for the Recovery of the Climate_A New Water Paradigm

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 30th October 2019, 11:23   #309
James Lidster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lidster View Post
My review here https://www.dutchbirding.nl/recensie...ds_of_mongolia
Have just ordered the new book,
James
Having now bought both books its an easy choice for me, the Helm is much better. There is still a lot of room for improvement though....
James
Old Thursday 31st October 2019, 01:56   #310
sicklebill

I did a short review for it FYI
Birds of Mongolia by Gombobataar Sundev and Christopher Leahy (Helm Field Guides 2019)

It is great to finally have the long awaited complete and up to date bird guide for Mongolia, a huge country where for years we have only had frustratingly partial coverage from Mark Brazil’s Birds of East Asia or Aye et al Birds of Central Asia. The senior author is the foremost ornithologist in Mongolia, with a fine track record of publications and booklets on the subject.

There are some 278 pages excluding the index and references, and it is a mercifully compact size book following the tried and tested Helm format, with the text and maps opposite the plates, which is very handy in the field. The team of 12 artists have done a good job depicting the range of species in Mongolia, often with the local subspecies as well which is always helpful.

The text is necessarily brief but covers the main identification points, some notes on voice, the type of habitat and also behaviour. Importantly there is also a useful section on the status in the country, and also the overall conservation status. A section at the very end covers recent vagrants and hypothetical species, and it is good to see these not cluttering up the main section as they are of little likelihood for visitors. The taxonomy is up to date and largely follows IOC, with future developments flagged, as with the splits among Asian and Lesser Short-toed Larks.

The introductory section on Mongolia and its Birdlife is very good reading with lovely photographs by the two authors of the beautiful landscapes and habitats, and useful maps of ecological zones and birding sites. A chapter on migration and conservation makes for good background, and another about Birdwatching in Mongolia is also invaluable. Highly recommended and essential for any birders coming to this lovely and still little known country, I look forward to using it in the field.
Old Wednesday 6th November 2019, 21:08   #311
Melanie

Steven Hilty who already published a famous book on the Birds of Colombia in 1986 will publish the new Lynx field guide on the Birds of Colombia in summer 2020. I think it will be a great work.

https://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-of-colombia/
Old Thursday 7th November 2019, 09:10   #312
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Steven Hilty who already published a famous book on the Birds of Colombia in 1986 will publish the new Lynx field guide on the Birds of Colombia in summer 2020. I think it will be a great work.

https://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-of-colombia/
I still think there is a greater need for the very poorly covered but bird rich Argentina before this.

Who's doing / done the plates in the new book?

Last edited by andyadcock : Thursday 7th November 2019 at 09:13.
Old Friday 8th November 2019, 01:59   #313
swamp_rattler

Quote:
I still think there is a greater need for the very poorly covered but bird rich Argentina before this.

Who's doing / done the plates in the new book?
I thought the Lynx field guides just used paintings from the HBW series, and added in supplemental illustrations where needed (i.e. immature, non-breeding, in flight, etc).
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 21:50   #314
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:

…..
And MEXICO!

I wonder how they select? Maybe depending on available authors?

I just noted that the LYNX list of most desirable new FGs includes Australia! That must be a rather absurd result. There is hardly a country with better coverage and updated editions. Might be that participants of the survey were simply not sufficiently familiar with what is available. Also, New Zealand has a pretty good coverage, yet it made it on to that listing.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Thursday 14th November 2019 at 22:02.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th November 2019, 11:07   #315
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
I just noted that the LYNX list of most desirable new FGs includes Australia! That must be a rather absurd result. There is hardly a country with better coverage and updated editions. Might be that participants of the survey were simply not sufficiently familiar with what is available
The revised Australian Bird Guide (Menkhorst et al 2018**), which I got in Perth, WA (Boffins Bookshop) last month, is hugely improved over the very recent original edition, which rather goes to make your point. I'm unsure as to whether it is available in Europe, yet...
MJB
**I was told that it first went on sale in 2019...
Old Friday 15th November 2019, 11:43   #316
andyadcock

Quote:
And MEXICO!

I wonder how they select? Maybe depending on available authors?

I just noted that the LYNX list of most desirable new FGs includes Australia! That must be a rather absurd result. There is hardly a country with better coverage and updated editions. Might be that participants of the survey were simply not sufficiently familiar with what is available. Also, New Zealand has a pretty good coverage, yet it made it on to that listing.
This is a valid observation and one already made by others Robert, there are many other places where a field guide of any kind will be much more greatly appreciated.

Argentina surprisingly, has no single field guide dedicated solely to that country, birders have had to use a combination of titles dependent on which part of the country they visit.

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 15th November 2019 at 11:53.
Old Friday 15th November 2019, 14:16   #317
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Argentina surprisingly, has no single field guide dedicated solely to that country, birders have had to use a combination of titles dependent on which part of the country they visit.
Actually there is such a FG, but it is rather old and definitely not meeting today's standards: the book by Narosky and Yzurieta. It's presently out of print, however, but it might still be found, I suspect. Well, it has Uruguay in its title as well, but that small country hardly has any major endemics. So essentially it is a "single country" FG. I had used it for a 2005/6 birding trip with satisfactory results. I much preferred it over the De la Pea & Rumboll Southern SA book that I had along as well, but only used that one as a back-up.
https://www.nhbs.com/search?q=birds%...&qtview=200195
!

Old Friday 15th November 2019, 14:48   #318
andyadcock

Quote:
Actually there is such a FG, but it is rather old and definitely not meeting today's standards: the book by Narosky and Yzurieta. It's presently out of print, however, but it might still be found, I suspect. Well, it has Uruguay in its title as well, but that small country hardly has any major endemics. So essentially it is a "single country" FG. I had used it for a 2005/6 birding trip with satisfactory results. I much preferred it over the De la Pea & Rumboll Southern SA book that I had along as well, but only used that one as a back-up.
https://www.nhbs.com/search?q=birds%...&qtview=200195
It's Argentina and Uruguay so it's not a single country volume, I have it.

Expensive to buy it now....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...3829254&sr=1-1
Old Friday 15th November 2019, 19:29   #319
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
It's Argentina and Uruguay so it's not a single country volume, I have it.

Expensive to buy it now....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...3829254&sr=1-1
Of course you are actually right.

It's just that Uruguay is only kind of an "annex". I say this despite the fact than my daughter in law is from Uruguay.
!

Old Saturday 16th November 2019, 08:13   #320
andyadcock

Covering a large number of birds in a species rich country, effectively whilst at the same time, trying to kep a book prortable is alwasy goung to cause issues, perhaps more authors should apply the two volume approach?

They'd minimise the text in the ID volume to keep it light for the field and then be free to write a fuller account in the second volume which birders could choose to either leave at home or in a hotel room.
Old Sunday 17th November 2019, 09:52   #321
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Covering a large number of birds in a species rich country, effectively whilst at the same time, trying to kep a book prortable is alwasy goung to cause issues, perhaps more authors should apply the two volume approach?

They'd minimise the text in the ID volume to keep it light for the field and then be free to write a fuller account in the second volume which birders could choose to either leave at home or in a hotel room.
I fully agree. Though, looking at some South America books, there was still way too much in the ID volume.
!

Old Sunday 17th November 2019, 14:14   #322
jurek

They should split field guides to such bird-rich countries into several pieces geographically, say tropical North vs Central and South. Assuming field guide-books will survive the next decade without being replaced by apps.

Tropical field guides are often unnecessarily cluttered. Often there are species-clones which are separated geographically, identified by location and essentially not possible to confuse with each other in the field, only with sympatric birds from another species-group.
Old Monday 18th November 2019, 20:35   #323
birdboybowley
BF Supporter 2019

Just seen the sample plates for Mongolia....jeez they are crap. Very disappointing. One I won't be buying for sure

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 18th November 2019, 22:18   #324
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboybowley View Post
Just seen the sample plates for Mongolia....jeez they are crap. Very disappointing. One I won't be buying for sure
Which one?
Old Monday 18th November 2019, 22:47   #325
CerambyX

BTW I received the Mongolia guide (the second one by Ganbold & Smith) and was a bit let down in the end - quality of illustrations unfortunately is also rather inconsistent with many plates being rather disappointing. Well they are different from Helm guide illustrations so that's good (for me at least - I got what I wanted I guess), but inconsistent quality was my gripe with many of recent Helm guides so it not really an upgrade in that area. The sample pages that are available are picked out carefully to show some of best that are in the book (can't blame them of course - it's all about marketing these days) - so if you already do not like the sample pages... Rest will not change your mind

The species accounts also are somewhat too concise for me - for many difficult species the combo of text+illustration would be difficult to use for correct field identification (especially if you do not have previous knowledge/experience with these species or don't have other more in-depth sources available to check). So in the end I would rate this book as 6,5/10 - not bad of course, still usable for most of the time (of course haven't tested in the field - it could change my opinion for better or worse) but obviously not without flaws.

Last edited by CerambyX : Monday 18th November 2019 at 22:49.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: