• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dogs on Nature Reserves (1 Viewer)

Deseo

I am trying my best (feels like swimming in treacle) to open people's eyes to the ways in which dog owners are affecting wildlife. I was unfortunate enough this week to witness a mute swan ripped to bits by a dog whose owner thought it ok to let off the lead and walk through a field with around 100 swans in it. I videoed it and took photos and have made them into this video. Please, if you care, post this video anywhere you can (facebook etc) and help me to get the word out to as many people as I can. I must warn you that the video and pictures are a bit graphic so if you are easily upset then please don't watch. Thank you.
http://youtu.be/id6b-ER1-G8

Not appearing on my tablet Deseo.

Rich

PS there is a thread about dogs being (allegedly) a threat to our bio-diversity already on here. Not sure how to link it for you. It's fair to say that it provokes mixed reactions.

Not appearing on my tablet Deseo.

Rich

PS there is a thread about dogs being (allegedly) a threat to our bio-diversity already on here. Not sure how to link it for you. It's fair to say that it provokes mixed reactions.

They not allegedly a threat, they and their walkers are a very real threat unless the dog is very closely controlled. The video make that very clear to anyone but an idiot.

They not allegedly a threat, they and their walkers are a very real threat unless the dog is very closely controlled. The video make that very clear to anyone but an idiot.

I heartily condemn idiots who neither train nor control their dogs but as you know perfectly well threats to individual animals are not threats to biodiversity. Eye on the ball please.

John

Your opinion remains just that - your opinion. Not fact. I still cannot access the link provided by the OP. I do not condone irresponsible dog owners.

Rich

Why dogs have to be taken to reserves is beyond me,there are enough places for them to be walked,let of the lead etc for there not to be a need to go to a reserve.
If someone wants to go to a reserve and has a dog,leave it at home for a few hours.
People choose to have dogs,the same as they choose to have children,if you choose a dog,then you should have to realise you probably are restricted to where you can go with them

Why dogs have to be taken to reserves is beyond me,there are enough places for them to be walked,let off the lead etc for there not to be a need to go to a reserve.
If someone wants to go to a reserve and has a dog,leave it at home for a few hours.
People choose to have dogs,the same as they choose to have children,if you choose a dog, then you should have to realise you probably are restricted to where you can go with them

It is impossible to make a reasonable argument against what Sniper is saying here.

Cheers Deseo. Unfortunately he quoted my response to you so I'm not to sure. It's fair to say that I don't agree with many of SW's posts but then we're all entitled to our point of view. I tried that link again this morning and I still couldn't get it to work.

Rich
I don't think Speckled wood was aiming that at you clark. I think you misunderstood the post.
Cheers.

Whether or not dogs (collectively) are a threat to biodiversity may be a matter of debate, but the fact that irresponsible dog owners and their hounds are a threat to my blood pressure is beyond doubt,

Why dogs have to be taken to reserves is beyond me,there are enough places for them to be walked,let of the lead etc for there not to be a need to go to a reserve.
People choose to have dogs,the same as they choose to have children,if you choose a dog,then you should have to realise you probably are restricted to where you can go with them

I agree with you. So does the RSPB, which bans dogs from its reserves. However, many LNRs and similar places are "amenities" to be used by the entire public, and dogs are both permitted and often facilitated with dog bins etc. Those situations you simply have to live with - except where dogs/owners are breaking the law in which case you have every right to take action as a concerned citizen.

John

I think the world has gone mad (actually I know it has), we have a lovely marshy field on the pretty dried up marsh on my patch, it has been deliberately turned back to grazing marsh and is fenced off and now stocked with cattle. There is a clear sign to keep dogs away from the cattle, there is no need to enter the field anyway.

Today, two owners set their dogs into the field and then encouraged them to run up and down. The field they were standing in was plenty big enough for them to run around in but they had to chose the cow field. Naturally the dogs went for the cows who admittedly didn't seem much fussed though I was half expecting them to head butt the mutts.

I had already been rushed by another large 'thug' dog earlier, its owner totally not in control. It makes me appreciate the reservoir bit of the patch where dogs are not allowed. I don't know what harm the dogs do to the wildlife, flushing and killing apart, but it certainly diminishes my enjoyment.

Of course everyone has a right to their thing, maybe even dog owners, but responsibilities come with those rights.

Not a happy bunny:-(

I am a volunteer wildlife warden for a local site near me,it is not a wildlife reserve as such but is geared up as "open space for all"
Dog walkers,birders,kids mix together and on the whole get on well.
There are plenty of paths and on the whole the dog walkers are fine,but every now and then one or two leave their dog poo bags tied to trees etc.and every now and then the odd arguement takes place between dog walkers who see their dog attacked by another and every now and then,me and others who bird,have our equipment bashed,licked or barged into by a bounding or every now and then threatening dog.
But it's not a nature reserve,its open space for all and I choose to bird there and accept the consequences.The same as those with dogs,should understand that a nature reserve is exactly that,for nature and the well being of it,not some little pooch to run around,crapping everywhere and bounding in and out of bushes,reeds,nesting areas etc etc

I think the world has gone mad (actually I know it has), we have a lovely marshy field on the pretty dried up marsh on my patch, it has been deliberately turned back to grazing marsh and is fenced off and now stocked with cattle. There is a clear sign to keep dogs away from the cattle, there is no need to enter the field anyway.

Today, two owners set their dogs into the field and then encouraged them to run up and down. The field they were standing in was plenty big enough for them to run around in but they had to chose the cow field. Naturally the dogs went for the cows who admittedly didn't seem much fussed though I was half expecting them to head butt the mutts.

I had already been rushed by another large 'thug' dog earlier, its owner totally not in control. It makes me appreciate the reservoir bit of the patch where dogs are not allowed. I don't know what harm the dogs do to the wildlife, flushing and killing apart, but it certainly diminishes my enjoyment.

Of course everyone has a right to their thing, maybe even dog owners, but responsibilities come with those rights.

Not a happy bunny:-(

Hi GH,
I had similar experiences before Xmas on an Essex Wildlife Trust site,as well as another site the day before,I like dogs,just don't like the sometimes idiot owners who own them.
I wrote a blog entry about it,to which I actually got a nasty pm from some "staff" owner,claiming I should be bitten by one for what I wrote.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back