Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

ABA Big Year 2019

Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 21:03   #26
trptjoe

He's adding things he photographed. According to the list he sent me of back-dated birds, they're all up but six of them. When inputting things earlier I found it hard to believe that he was at Magee and didn't get Barn & Tree Swallow. Turns out he did.

Joe
Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 14:30   #27
trptjoe

Addressing all three of Brian's questions, John has removed Franklin's Gull from his list. His Swainson's Thrush photo has been updated, as Brian was correct, of course. That wasn't a photo of a Swainson's Thrush, but a Swainson's Warbler. The Mew Gull photo has also been replaced.
Updated lists will be forthcoming this evening, most likely.

Joe

Last edited by trptjoe : Sunday 19th May 2019 at 14:35.
Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 14:40   #28
Muppit17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trptjoe View Post
John has removed Franklin's Gull from his list. Updated lists will be forthcoming this evening, most likely.

Joe
What else has gone? Lucy's Warbler dropped from #601 to #599

Knowing some of the locations he has been, I am really surprised that some of the 'easy' species that he is missing - No;
  • White-faced Ibis
  • Heerman's Gull
  • Northern Bobwhite
  • Gambel's Quail
  • Wilson's Phalarope
  • Vaux's Swift
  • etc

This must be the close to the lowest code 1 & 2 list in reaching 600!
Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 18:18   #29
trptjoe

The other change was that he replaced his Swainson's Hawk listing (which was a listing error as opposed to an ID error) with this week's sighting, accounting for the Lucy's shift.

Joe
Old Monday 20th May 2019, 22:38   #30
trptjoe

Here's an updated list, as of this morning. I'm still missing one of John's species, most likely a common one that he entered after the fact. He's going to look for it, too, but if one of you with a fresh cup of coffee (or tea, for my friends across the pond) wants to comb through his sightings, please feel free!

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx (614.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019.xlsx (130.9 KB, 14 views)
Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 09:12   #31
Tikli

Quote:
Here's an updated list, as of this morning. I'm still missing one of John's species, most likely a common one that he entered after the fact. He's going to look for it, too, but if one of you with a fresh cup of coffee (or tea, for my friends across the pond) wants to comb through his sightings, please feel free!

Joe
Altamira Oriole is the missing one.
Old Wednesday 22nd May 2019, 00:38   #32
trptjoe

If I had any brains I'd have checked the Forum before diving back in. Thanks, Tikli! I was just coming on to tell everyone that I found it, and you beat me to it. A fine, helpful community this is.

Joe
Old Thursday 23rd May 2019, 03:09   #33
trptjoe

John put up a new blog entry, with a shout-out to this forum!
Joe
Old Tuesday 4th June 2019, 19:13   #34
Tikli

Now that John Weigel has finally some blog updates, time for a little analysis.

Still no blog updates from following periods:
March:
17.-20. California
21.-28. Arizona (Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (3) and Black-capped Gnatcatcher(3))

April:
11.-15. Hawaii (nine code 3:s, four from pelagic trip)
16. Florida - Key West Quail-Dove (4) twitch
21.-24. Dry Tortugas, Florida (Masked Booby (3) and Bahama Mockingbird (4))
25.-26. ???
27. California
28.-29. ???
30.4. offshore cruise, California

May:
1.-2. offshore cruise, California-Oregon (Murphy's and Cook's Petrel (both 3))
4.-5. and 8.-9. Ohio, interrupted by
6. New York - Common Greenshank (3) twitch
7. Newfoundland, Canada - Black-tailed Godwit (3) twitch
10. California
11.-14. apparently a trip home to Australia
15. Arizona - Common Crane (4) twitch

I would be especially interested in the period between Dry Tortugas and California offshore cruise. Some unsuccessful twitching trips?

He has dipped at least Tamaulipas Crow (4) in Brownsville, Texas and had no time for Zenaida Dove (4) before Alaska. Also the trip to Australia in prime migration and rarity time must have cost him a couple of good birds.

He has 610 species, of which 52 are coded and two provisional. He's missing 67 Code 1:s and 94 Code 2:s! Seems huge.
Old Thursday 6th June 2019, 02:09   #35
trptjoe

Richard & Gaylee Dean become the first to hit 650 for the year (at least as far as I know)!
I don't have John's list, but I saw a list of some of the initial Attu sightings. Not bad out there this year, I'm thinking.

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019.xlsx (130.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx (614.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by trptjoe : Thursday 6th June 2019 at 15:08.
Old Thursday 6th June 2019, 23:12   #36
keeneone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikli View Post
Now that John Weigel has finally some blog updates, time for a little analysis.

Still no blog updates from following periods:
March:
17.-20. California
21.-28. Arizona (Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (3) and Black-capped Gnatcatcher(3))

April:
11.-15. Hawaii (nine code 3:s, four from pelagic trip)
16. Florida - Key West Quail-Dove (4) twitch
21.-24. Dry Tortugas, Florida (Masked Booby (3) and Bahama Mockingbird (4))
25.-26. ???
27. California
28.-29. ???
30.4. offshore cruise, California

May:
1.-2. offshore cruise, California-Oregon (Murphy's and Cook's Petrel (both 3))
4.-5. and 8.-9. Ohio, interrupted by
6. New York - Common Greenshank (3) twitch
7. Newfoundland, Canada - Black-tailed Godwit (3) twitch
10. California
11.-14. apparently a trip home to Australia
15. Arizona - Common Crane (4) twitch

I would be especially interested in the period between Dry Tortugas and California offshore cruise. Some unsuccessful twitching trips?

He has dipped at least Tamaulipas Crow (4) in Brownsville, Texas and had no time for Zenaida Dove (4) before Alaska. Also the trip to Australia in prime migration and rarity time must have cost him a couple of good birds.

He has 610 species, of which 52 are coded and two provisional. He's missing 67 Code 1:s and 94 Code 2:s! Seems huge.
I checked my text messages from John from April 25 & 26. The Red-legged Thrush showed up on the 25th while he was still in Florida. He drove to the area and tried for it early on the 26th but it was gone.

He tried for the Mexican Violetear on May 16 in San Antonio - only 20 minutes from my house but I was in Ohio! The violetear was seen early that morning, then never again. He missed it by only a couple of hours.

Laura Keene

Last edited by keeneone : Thursday 6th June 2019 at 23:14.
Old Sunday 9th June 2019, 23:36   #37
trptjoe

Okay, all updated. The Deans are back in the Lower 48, with 654. The McQuades only added four species, but they were a Code 1, 2, 3 & 4, giving them 627. John did well with shorebirds on Attu.
He added one species from the past; don't know which it is. This time I'll let my esteemed Forum colleagues find it!
Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019.xlsx (131.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx (614.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by trptjoe : Monday 10th June 2019 at 17:17.
Old Monday 10th June 2019, 22:03   #38
Tikli

Quote:
He added one species from the past; don't know which it is. This time I'll let my esteemed Forum colleagues find it!
Joe
Marbled Murrelet. Nor back-added, but wrong date (27-Apr instead of 27-May).

John got 12 coded birds in Attu and Falcated Duck in Anchorage, five of which (bolded) not seen by him in 2016:
Taiga Bean Goose (3)
Falcated Duck (4)
Lesser Sand-Plover (3)
Great Knot (4)
Long-toed Stint (3)
Red-necked Stint (3)
Common Snipe (3)
Terek Sandpiper (3)
Common Sandpiper (3)
Gray-tailed Tattler (3)
Short-tailed Albatross (3)
Steller's Sea-Eagle (4)
Siberian Rubythroat (3)

So far total of 643, of which 65 coded and two provisional.
Missing 59 Code 1 and 82 Code 2.
Old Monday 10th June 2019, 22:07   #39
Tikli

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeneone View Post
I checked my text messages from John from April 25 & 26. The Red-legged Thrush showed up on the 25th while he was still in Florida. He drove to the area and tried for it early on the 26th but it was gone.

He tried for the Mexican Violetear on May 16 in San Antonio - only 20 minutes from my house but I was in Ohio! The violetear was seen early that morning, then never again. He missed it by only a couple of hours.

Laura Keene
Thank you!

The pain of dipping... understandable that he is not eager to blog on these.

John also posted a blog update on his Hawaiian trip (including a very good pelagic). There's a picture of a Pacific Golden Plover, but it's not on his list. Can someone inform him?
Old Tuesday 11th June 2019, 00:35   #40
trptjoe

Tikli: you just did; he checks this blog.
And thanks for spotting the Murrelet!

Joe
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 12:21   #41
Muppit17

Quote:
Marbled Murrelet. Nor back-added, but wrong date (27-Apr instead of 27-May).

John got 12 coded birds in Attu and Falcated Duck in Anchorage, five of which (bolded) not seen by him in 2016:
Taiga Bean Goose (3)
Falcated Duck (4)
Lesser Sand-Plover (3)
Great Knot (4)
Long-toed Stint (3)
Red-necked Stint (3)
Common Snipe (3)
Terek Sandpiper (3)
Common Sandpiper (3)
Gray-tailed Tattler (3)
Short-tailed Albatross (3)
Steller's Sea-Eagle (4)
Siberian Rubythroat (3)

So far total of 643, of which 65 coded and two provisional.
Missing 59 Code 1 and 82 Code 2.
Interesting. From the blog photo, the big records on Attu for the 2019 crew appears to include Bluethroat. No mention in the blog or in John's list. Did he miss it?
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 12:46   #42
DMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppit17 View Post
Interesting. From the blog photo, the big records on Attu for the 2019 crew appears to include Bluethroat. No mention in the blog or in John's list. Did he miss it?
I thought Bluethroat had a well-established breeding population in Alaska and is readily observable at e.g. Nome?
Old Friday 14th June 2019, 15:12   #43
Tikli

John has added ten birds from Nome, Alaska, but no Bluethroat or Northern Wheatear.

Two coded birds:
Slaty-backed Gull (3)
Gray Wagtail (4)
Old Friday 14th June 2019, 17:11   #44
Seth Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
I thought Bluethroat had a well-established breeding population in Alaska and is readily observable at e.g. Nome?
That's what I understand.

From what I've picked up from others, Attu was good for shorebirds, but underwhelming for Asian passerines. Would you all agree?
They had the Rubythroat but that was about it. Usually you'd expect maybe some pipits, brambling, hawfinch, etc. Right?
Old Friday 14th June 2019, 22:28   #45
Tikli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Miller View Post
From what I've picked up from others, Attu was good for shorebirds, but underwhelming for Asian passerines. Would you all agree?
They had the Rubythroat but that was about it. Usually you'd expect maybe some pipits, brambling, hawfinch, etc. Right?
John had Brambling earlier this year. And he back-added Bluethroat (code 2) from Attu.

In 2016 he got following coded birds from Alaska during May and June (bolded not seen yet this year):
Smew (3) Adak
Common Ringed Plover (3) Gambell
Far Eastern Curlew (4) Attu
Long-toed Stint (3) Attu
Red-necked Stint (3) Gambell
Common Snipe (3) Adak
Pin-tailed Snipe (5) Attu
Terek Sandpiper (3) Attu
Common Sandpiper (3) Attu
Gray-tailed Tattler (3) Attu
Common Greenshank (3) Gambell
Short-tailed Albatross (3) Attu pelagic
Common Chiffchaff (5) Gambell
Eyebrowed Trush (3) Attu
White Wagtail (3) Attu
Red-throated Pipit (3) Gambell
Rustic Bunting (3) Attu

So it's +6 (Taiga Bean Goose, Falcated Duck, Great Knot, Steller's Sea-Eagle, Siberian Rubythroat, Grey Wagtail) and -9 (bolded above). Also missing some Alaska code 2 species, like Spectacled Eider and Northern Wheatear.

But I guess he's still going to Gambell?
Old Friday 14th June 2019, 22:50   #46
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:

But I guess he's still going to Gambell?
What are the odds?
Old Saturday 15th June 2019, 03:35   #47
trptjoe

He's heading back to Arizona now. He just put up a blog entry about his last AZ visit. I emailed him about the Pacific Golden-Plover, and also about how I liked his photo of the Gambel's Quail so much that I thought he should add it to his list!

Joe
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 03:05   #48
trptjoe

Time for an update, huh?

Amanda Damin just hit 600; a number of past and current Big Year birders are trying to get her to submit. Maybe now that she's hit this milestone it'll be time!

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019.xlsx (130.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx (614.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2019.xlsx (175.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx (661.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by trptjoe : Wednesday 19th June 2019 at 20:03.
Old Thursday 20th June 2019, 17:09   #49
Tikli

John's latest Arizona trip blog post:
https://birdingyear.com/15-18-june-q...ip-to-arizona/

He got two coded birds:
Buff-collared Nightjar (3)
Five-striped Sparrow (3)

And another bird with a picture but not mentioned on his list: Black-chinned Sparrow.
Old Saturday 22nd June 2019, 06:49   #50
John Weigel

Hi folks,

As one of the ABA big year birders that this discussion group is following, let me say thank you. It makes a fun year that much more fun to know that there are other crazy birders who share the interest. I do enjoy checking out the comments on the discussion occasionally – and have benefitted from observations relating to errors, emissions, and so on, on my list. Those determinations are always helpful, and appreciated. Joe Lill always lets me know when he, or someone in the discussion group finds a discrepancy of any sort.

I thought it worth taking a minute to give warning that there are additional adjustments to be made on my year-list, reflecting yet more errors than even poor Joe was aware of! I can’t really offer any reasonable excuse – other than my choice to not bite the bullet and start using eBird has its drawbacks, especially since my method of registering new sightings on my blog is a bit complicated. In a nutshell, most of the goofs have to do with my ‘thinking’ the species is properly reported, and on my current ‘the list so far’ list. What goes wrong is that when, too often, I’ve made errors in the reporting process, which I do through a different website, which cause the new listing to not appear on ‘the list so far’. For the most part, the goofs have involved common species, for which I had actually entered one or two photographs. That’s why, when Joe says – Hey John, you clearly have seen a Gambell’s Quail – you even published an image on a blog post, so why isn’t it on your list?, my first instinct is to argue that it is on my list – though upon looking into it, of course Joe is right.

The two times that I’ve found the time to sit down and compose my way-too-extensive ‘still needed’ list, I’ve found a bucket-load of species not on my ‘list so far’, that I thought had been properly entered. The first time was when I was back home in Australia for a few days four weeks ago – and now, again, at my home office, having returned again, due to continuing family health matters. I’ll warn everyone in advance, this time was a doozy, with about a dozen species that I’m about to add to my list (or for the most part, fix the dodgy data entries that hid them from ‘the list so far’ page. Here’s a quick preview of these. I’ll of course have locales and photos (for most, I think). I believe they are just about all ‘Code 1’ birds. In any event, I apologise for the issues, as I do appreciate the interest in this year’s ABA big year, including for my own part in the contest. Speaking of ‘contest’, I must say, the frontrunners of the game this year, at this stage, are two of my favorite people – Richard and Gaylee. If they, or the McQuades (who I somehow haven’t met up with, but hear only good things about) finish on top, I’ll be the very first to sincerely congratulate them.

Although, it’s doubtful that this (third visit) will be my last return visit home this year due to ongoing issues, the seemingly slow start to my year is not entirely due to that – I know it. But the plan is to hit the road running in a few days, so watch this space. I hope to score most of the lingering coded birds (Texas, Florida, Maine) while on a counterclockwise race around the perimeter of the US, finally taking the time to scoop up a kazillion common birds I’ve not yet pursued. My Australian birding buddy Murray will be joining me for a couple of weeks, maybe longer. We’ve kicked some goals in Australia over the years, chasing bird and reptile rarities, and had a blast together during my chicken run and coastal Texas Spring migration big year legs in 2016. It was during that trip that Murray began to notice soreness in various bones, whereafter he ended up getting some imaging back home in Brisbane. To the devastation of everyone – especially Murray – one of the fittest (and funniest) people I’ve known, the images revealed rampant melanoma disease, with sizeable tumours in bones and body organs, the biggest being a cricket-ball sized tumour in his right lung. Of course, we all thought that was ‘it’. Who could have known that an experimental treatment study required one more participant to get off the ground? And who’d have guessed that there could be a way to alert an immune system to the presence of enemy cells that had previously been cloaked? As of last week - three years after getting his affairs in order, Murray is tumour-free. It looks like the treatment system works for about 40% of melanoma sufferers, and promises wider cancer-treatment use. So on more than one level, I’m very excited about snapping out of the apparent droll, and turning things around – mainly on the continent this summer (with a few unusual sea-plans), and the hope that instead of a repeat of 2016’s ‘worst ever year in Alaska for rarities’, I can catch a break on the islands, and hopefully score some of the Asian passerines that were not blown into view on Attu this spring.

Here’s the list of species I’ll be ‘back-dating’ – again, sorry about that – but as always, the intention is to lift my game!

Birds from Attu that I somehow goofed in reporting:
Tufted Duck (we saw numerous)
Red Phalarope (at sea)
Short-tailed Shearwater (by the hundreds at sea).

Others:
Gambell’s Quail (! – like maybe twenty different sightings)
Pacific Golden Plover (Hawaii)
Greater Frigatebird (Hawaii)
Common Waxbill (Hawaii)
Yellow-billed Cardinal (Hawaii)
Least Sandpiper (!)
White-faced Ibis
Tropical Kingbird
Vesper Sparrow
Pyrrhuluxia (!!)
Sora
Bank Swallow

Last week in Arizona:
Dusky-capped Flycatcher
Western Wood-pewee (though I have seen/photographed it several times earlier as well)

Last edited by John Weigel : Saturday 22nd June 2019 at 13:16. Reason: remove Cassin's Sparrow -
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: