• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bresser corvette 10x40 (1 Viewer)

[QUOTE famous bino"s like american brand"s [vortex/vixen/opticron/leupold / bar&stroud and more.... with best quality and less then 50% !! so in all kind of product [ not only bino"s ] need to be wise and smart bayer![/QUOTE]

Opticron is a UK brand and company.

We all have different opinions and that is entirely an individuals privilege. You have your beliefs, others maybe opposite, but neither is right nor wrong.

PS. I was fortunate to visit the Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss factories about 17 years ago and was amazed at the process and production that went into manufacturing a high end model. My thought then, as now, is they are worth the price. Your claim that 50% is just added on for the brand is nonsense to me, I think you're just guessing but that is your claim. All the companies are in business to make money even " Bresser". How much mark up do they charge - 50%?

Last edited:
I just saw a gold coloured Ferrari.
I almost burst out laughing as I took a photo.
The two people approaching were also giggling.

I don't think it was gold plated, although it looked like it was.

The point is that I would not go in this car even as a passenger, except perhaps on a dark night when nobody could see me.
To me this Ferrari looked hideous.

I would be very pleased to drive some other cars. Aston Martin, Jaguar, smaller Rolls Royce or a Mini.

It is all up to a person's tastes and values.

The binoculars I use the most are an old Leica 8x32 BA, an old 8.5x44 Swift HR/5.
Canon 18x50 IS and Docter 10x25.
But I am not a dedicated birdwatcher, although I view birds.

Each to his or her own.

B.

I AGREE with binastro each to his own. each to his test and values. most of us in this forum have a good professional knowledge about bino"s we just try to make conversation and share knowledge and learn from each other. by the way binastro you have realy nice collection .

p.s I asked you about russian bino"s vintage bino's [ tento/komz/baigish if they all bk7 prism or some have bak4? [all of them made on the fiftieth - seventy"s I estimate?

publin,

The Soviet binoculars are usually easy to date as the two first numbers of the serial number is the date.
New, they actually have the date of final manufacture and the final testers signature with the enclosed paperwork.

From 1950s to about 1990.

After the Soviet breakup many still have the date.
I have Russian binos with serial numbers from the 2000s.

However, with say the 20x60s made after the Soviet breakup, there is no serial number just a double figure date on the lower spindle/axle cover.
It seems many were made from spare parts and the quality dropped alarmingly.
However, especially export models, both Soviet and Russian/Ukrainen etc. were usually better, depending on the importer.
In the U.K. TOE imports were mostly good.

But the quality could vary drastically.

When China wiped makers out worldwide with dumping, then Russian quality could be very poor, as quality control was sacrificed for price.

I consider the Chinese practices, especially early in their rise to power to be very lax.
Basically, these Chinese binoculars were called one use binoculars, so lamentable was the quality.
Things have improved, but there are still unbelievably poor Chinese binoculars all the way up to very good.
In my opinion the quality and quality control of consumer Chinese binoculars is driven by who imports them and how rigid the importers standards are.
Where big names are involved such as Nikon, quality and quality control is generally good.

With both Russian and Chinese binoculars importers just threw poor ones in the trash and got credit notes on the honesty system.. They were not even worth returning.
With 30 low priced Chinese waterproof 6x18s bought retail over about two years, I found ten good ones, ten usable and ten for the trash can.

With the crazy 10-70x30 and similar Chinese binoculars, I reckon that only 2% are fit for use.
It just shows how the general public will buy anything.

It really doesn't matter about BK7, Bak4 or other numbers. There is a lot more about glass quality than this.

And birdwatchers do understand the quality, at least the expected quality, of a £2,000 binocular.
It is difficult to make money selling decent quality binoculars.

It is probably the cheap binoculars sold in large numbers that make money, as most end users have no idea about binoculars.

Regards,
B.

B,

You have all the bases covered daytime and night time viewing, with the glass you mentioned using most frequently. I just have one question, how the heck do you keep that light Docter 10X25 steady to fit your pupil. Perhaps a 10X42 is something to think about. Yes the Aculon 10X50 is a nice glass for the night sky.

Andy W.

Andy,
I have absolutely no problem keeping the Docter 10x25 steady and properly placed for my eyes.
It is in my pocket, no case. I open it and it stays in place with no problems.

I do have problems with the Trinovid 10x25 and Swarovski 10x25. These have too much eye relief for me and are difficult to open correctly, They are just finicky.
They are better optically than the old Docter 10x25, but the Docter does everything I want.

I have a Conquest HD 10x42, which is excellent in all respects for me, but lately I find the Leica 8x32 BA and Swift 8.5x44 being used more.

Over time I have sometimes changed my most used binoculars, not necessarily for any logical reason.

Regards,
B.

Glass

"Over time I have sometimes changed my most used binoculars, not necessarily for any logical reason".

+1 on that B.:t:

Andy W.

Glass

"Over time I have sometimes changed my most used binoculars, not necessarily for any logical reason".

+1 on that B.:t:

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back