• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Big Year - 2016. 398 so far. (1 Viewer)

He didn’t go about it to tell others - he did it for himself. He’s quiet and unassuming. His effort was “outed” by others (I’m not naming here).
I doubt at this stage he’s going to want to go back and document everything - he was even asked for photos of each bird to “prove” he saw them etc.
Enough to spin anyone out maybe?
It is a shame maybe I agree - it would be a fascinating read.

Daniel

It seems pretty clear that this thread and indeed the contributions on it from those with some first hand experience of this effort (yours & those from Gomphus, knotsbirder & Paul) were well intended to provide Mark with some recognition for what appears to have been an extraordinary effort.

But it cannot be a surprise when you and others have done that (and indeed particularly as the number is twenty higher than the previous highest mark passing a landmark barrier - 400) that people will ask the most basic of questions ie what was the geographic area (Britain), what was the listing authority (UK400) and what did he see.

Anything that he reveals is of course a matter for him but he must have kept a simple list so it is not as a result a significant effort to reproduce it.

I yearlisted once rather half heartedly in 1994. It was a quarter of a century ago and it would take me an hour to produce the list. That said it was 70 short of this effort!

Indeed, I remember some contributors on here who made landmark yearlisting efforts in the mid-80s and I suspect that they could find their lists.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back