• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper's & Razor's on Sale @ eagleoptics.com (1 Viewer)

bearclawthedonut

For everyone's information:

Just checked the eagleoptics.com website and they now have Vortex Vipers's and Razor's on sale, click on binoculars under "Hot Deals". No, I don't work for E/O, unfortunately. I saw the following at 9:30 pm, 09-30-2010:

All are Vortex Binoculars:
Viper 6x32 @ $330
Viper 8x32 @ $340
Viper 10x32 @ $350
Viper 12x42 @ $370
Viper 8.5x50 @ $380
Viper 10x50 @ $390
Viper 15x50 @ $400
Razor 8.5x50 @ $500
Razor 10x50 @ $520
Razor 12x50 @ $530

I'm tempted by both the 8x32 and 8.5x50, but ....
8x32 only have 16 mm of ER and I wear eyeglasses ....
I've never even tried a 50 out, also not read any reviews on the Vortex Viper 8.5x50 ....

I wonder what's up with Vortex? New lines coming out?

bearclawthedonut

It would appear the Fury, Viper, and Razor lines have been deemed EOL ("end of life"), so either Vortex is slimming down their offerings or have something new in the works. Or (speculation warning!), they've just bought Zen Ray and are going to introduce "new" ED and HD lines that are competitive! :)

Does anyone know why the are discounting the 6x32 and 8x32 binocular line so much?

I believe all those being discounted are models recently introduced (they haven't discounted any 8x or 10x 42mm models--and these are their award winning mainstays). It could just be they decided having a limited number of models made better business sense. But I don't think anyone but Vortex really knows at this point.

Best,
Jim

I was thinking more just the Vipers, and I guess they do. Maybe they will just have a TOP and MIDDLE line and both will be ED, plus Diamondback. MID range priced like ZRs.

Not sure the economy has picked up yet, so more likely than the end of the models, they are getting rid of as much stock as possible before new lots are made.

Last edited:
Just picked up a pair of Viper 8.5x50's for my son, FOV is a bit narrow otherwise a very solid buy. They were intended as an upgrade from his Fury 10x42's. Compared to his Fury's: Definite improvement controlling lens flare, much better focus and diopter controls, very good eye relief and better eyecups. Resolution seems just as good if not a bit better, overall a very good upgrade.

I have not yet been able to find a pair of Vortex Viper 8x32's to check out but I did find the Fury 8x32. My main concern is with eye relief. Both are specified as having 16 mm of ER. The Fury's have a poor (to me) eye cup design that keeps eyeglasses an extra 2 to 3 mm away from the ocular lens. This reduces the effective eye relief from 16mm to 13 to 14 mm. Not good enough for me and my eyeglasses. All of the various Viper binoculars that I've been able to check out have a much better (again, to me) eye cup design; allowing eyeglass wearers to take full advantage of the available ER.

However, I was very pleasently surprised by the Fury's handling. Generally, I find that Fury's (except for the 28's) are too heavy. But the Fury 8x32's are longish 32's at 5.3" and as such their 22 oz weight is perfectly balanced and is not a concern. Bravo to Vortex!

Hmm, now I would very much like to find a pair of the 6.5x32 Fury's as well as the 8x32 Viper's.

bearclawthedonut

I tried the 8x32 Vipers and found them lacking in the clarity I expected from a binocular that originally cost over $500. Even at $339 I found them not at the "value" point for me. All I can say anymore is that my requirements, if I'm going to spend any kind of "real money," seem to demand the level of my old Swift Audubon 804R porros, and it doesn't appear I'm going to find that anymore unless I spend a fortune (which I won't). I know, I know.. there are the ZEN-RAY 7x36's. Just give me a high quality 7x35 porro with a decent field and I'll be happy. Sort of. Maybe....

Vortex Fury 6.5x32

You may find the November 2010 Mid Sized Bino review from Birwatching.com interesting as they have the 8x32 Fury & Viper in their comparison.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2010midsizebins/chart_main.html

Lilcrazy2:

Thanks for the birdwatching.com link. It was a very interesting chart. I will have to quibble with their assessment of the 8x32 Fury being eyeglass friendly. I found that their eyecup's extend some 2 to 3 mm beyond the point of reasonable protection of the ocular lens. This reduces usable ER to about 13 to 14mm, too short for me and my eyeglasses. Overall, they really liked the two Vortex (Viper & Fury) 8x32's.

That said, I've been seduced by all the good reviews here and at EO's wedsite for the Vortex Fury 6.5x32's. At 21 mm of ER, I can afford to have 2 or 3 mm wasted and still be very comfortable. Additionally, most commented on their very good (many said excellent) depth of field. Two prior 8x32's that I tried (Burris Signature Select & Minox HG) had very shallow DOF, which I did not find to be a positive attribute. Most of my successful bird watching is at a fairly close range, 10 to 50 yards, so the 6.5x magnification should not be a detriment. To me, their chief negative, perhaps the only negative - is their weight. 22 oz is pretty heavy for a 32. But, I did find that they were very well balanced. Anyway they will give me something between my 28's and my 42's.

bearclawthedonut

I'm heading to EO tomorrow to buy a Raven 6.5x32 for my son, and plan to check out some of the other offerings. If I hear any news about what's up with the Fury line, I'll post here again. Part of me wants to spend the extra $50 on the Fury 6.5x32s, but . . . well, we'll see.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back