• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ilfracombe area (1 Viewer)

Richard G

We've decided to book a last minute family cottage break for October half term week near Ilfracombe.

Never having been to the area I would be grateful for any pointers as to suggestions where to visit. No specific targets in mind, but would be nice to visit new areas.

Richard

I think the paucity of replies gives you a bit of a clue - it can be a bit of a birding desert up here!

The Taw Estuary is the best area locally - all the way from Westward Ho! around to Crow Point - mostly it is accessible by bike on the Tarka Trail.

More local to Ilfracombe try Morte Point - there was a Barred Warbler there last autumn. It might be worth trying Wistlandpound Reservoir up on the western side of Exmoor.

OK, thanks for replying anyway Jon.

It's only a family break so was looking for places to go where we might see something/anything!! Not a serious birding week.

Richard

There is one place listed in Opus near Ilfracombe and that's Chapel Wood.

At one time you needed to make an appointment to visit, but looking at the website, it seems the reserve is now open all the time.

RSPB Chapel Wood is a small piece of hanging oak woodland. Er, I go there once or twice a year - usually in spring to see the local woodland birds....... Don't think I've been this year.

None birding suggestions.

Braunton Inn is on the A361 South - overlooks the Taw River and does great food.

Bideford - a bit further South is on the banks of the Torridge and is a nice little place to spend an hour or two. There's an absolutely fantasic music/film shop there called Sounds Interesting - if you go in - leave your credit cards outside as it is very easy to get carried away http://www.localstore.co.uk/store/436394/sounds-interesting/bideford/

As Jon said, there's not a huge amount of birding done up north ;)

My thoughts would first run to Lundy. I don't know if the ferry still runs in October, but if it does then it might be worth a trip?

Lynton/Lynmouth and the Valley of the Rocks are worth a visit, as are Appledore and Northam Burrows [with birding probably better at the latter].

Further afield, Meeth Quarry to the south, Hartland Point and Bursdon Moor to the west[ish], and Exmoor [such as Tarr Steps] and Wimbleball Reservoir to the east are worth thinking about.

Even further, the north edge of Dartmoor gives something for the family and the chance of some birds. Try accessing via Okehampton Camp [follow the army signs from the town to get right up onto the high moor] or Belstone village. Looking east, Dunster is a nice place to visit, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back