• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Links not working in Firefox (1 Viewer)

David in NC

I KNOW this sounds like a Firefox problem BUT I only noticed this when I got a new Dell Laptop (running Windows 10, with Kaspersky Total Internet Protection). I have been dealing with this since October!

I have posted and searched in vain on Kaspersky, Mozilla, and other computer forums and either I'm not able to articulate this well enough or no one else is experiencing it.

PROBLEM:

When I view a page on BF, and there is a link to another page (this is called an HTML link isn't it?) I click on it and it FAILS to open a second page. The TAB will read the correct (new) link I WANT to open, but the ADDRESS BAR will read the URL of the page I just came from (ALTHOUGH the screen is blank and NO PAGE is actually displayed.) I tried "safe mode" and "Private Window" but it still does it.

I first thought it was Firefox so I disabled add-ons one by one, and extensions one by one, to no avail. I toggled pop-up blockers on and off, and Kaspersky on and off, but no luck. I then tried this in Explorer and got THE SAME RESULT.

WEIRD NOTE---I DID discover that if I click the POST the link is in-and view as an INDIVIDUAL POST-the links work everytime! :-C I go page to viewing the entire thread and they do NOT work.

I'm wondering now if it's a vBulletin thing?

Examples: (which will probably work fine for you):

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=338483
(link in post 1 does not load for me-problem as described)

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3516156&postcount=1

Link works everytime! :-C:-C

Aaaagh! Help!

Hi David

You first link works fine for me in Pale Moon, so I tried Firefox too and it works for me as well. I have V 50.1.0 but am still on Win8. Are you using the latest version of Firefox?

I don't think this is a Birdforum issue, so will move post to the Computer forum, maybe someone there will have some ideas for you.

Yes latest Firefox which I only updated tonight (didn't realize I had an older version). It does not work in either. Firefox (Mozilla forums) gave me cookie cutter answers but nothing helped (that was my FIRST try back in October).

I sometimes have an issue with some links, but find if I close it and try the link again it works properly.

This is most noticeable for me when clicking on a BFTV link. The first time it takes me to the BFTV Home Page, the second time to the actual video or, from the search bar in Opus, all the videos for the species or location. This only started for me about 3-4 months ago. I've just got used to clicking-closing-clicking LOL

Just a thought David, have you tried Pale Moon, a FF cousin, also by Mozilla?

It might be worth having a go in there and seeing if your problem is the same with that browser.

https://www.palemoon.org/

This seems like a very odd problem to have.

What happens if you righ-click on a link that doesn't open for you? You can then select `open in new tab/window'.

At first I thought this might be to do with opening in a new tab, but it seems that the links that dowork for you are exactly of a kind with the ones that don't.

Andrea

Interesting Andrea - I'd not thought of doing that. It certainly works for me from an Opus search, as in this one.

But it didn't work from a thread, the Click here to view video, took me to the BFTV home page. Interestingly, going down to another thread, clicking on the view video link took me straight to it!

I'll re-check that oddity later on.

David,
I am using Win7 on this machine, Win10 at home. Clicking links work for me and my main browser is firefox. Try the google browser, and if it is the same there, it has to be something with the setup of your PC or Windows or virus-checker.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back