• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northam Burrows/Bideford (1 Viewer)

mijmoth1

I seem to spend a number of weeks a year in the Bideford area, and always seem to have trouble identifying birds that I see. for example this week I saw a number of what I took to be golden plovers on the Northam Burrows with what I took to be Ringed plovers. However I am never sure. Are there people out there who would be willing to post sightings that may help poor souls like me. Just a thought because I do not seem to be able to find any postings for the area ( unless I am looking in the wrong place)
Thank you:

Jim

I seem to spend a number of weeks a year in the Bideford area, and always seem to have trouble identifying birds that I see. for example this week I saw a number of what I took to be golden plovers on the Northam Burrows with what I took to be Ringed plovers. However I am never sure. Are there people out there who would be willing to post sightings that may help poor souls like me. Just a thought because I do not seem to be able to find any postings for the area ( unless I am looking in the wrong place)
Thank you:

Jim

Hello Jim,

I visit the area regularly with my wife to visit the MiL who lives in Northam. The Burrows is a regular 'escape' for me and if our visits ever coincide I'd be happy to help.
Send me a pm when you visit and I'll make contact.

Mick

P.S. They are likely to be Golden plover. Several hundred spend the winter there.
This photo includes a prematurely summer plumaged bird (taken in Feb16)

Attachments

• Feb16-029UK.jpg
    Feb16-029UK.jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 60
The two big flocks around there are Golden Plover and Lapwing which in winter plumage could resemble large Ringed Plover perhaps?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back