• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sicalis (1 Viewer)

Born 26 Jun 1811, Tarnowitz, Silesia (now Poland), died 16 Dec 1890, Santiago, Chile, according to Cubillos 2002 [pdf].

or 14 Dec 1890 Anales de la Universidad de Chile - vol 108 - p 971
De regreso a Europa, Bernardo se incorporó en la Escuela Naval durante la estacion de invierno i en las otras hacia viajes a San Petersburgo, Matanzas, en la isla de Cuba i New Orleans. En 1838 una vez rendido satisfactoriamente su exámen de piloto, efectuó un segundo viaje de circunnavegacion, pero esta vez como piloto tercero, i la suerte quiso que fuera en el mismo barco, la Princesa Luisa, i en éste iba también un médico-cirujano encargado de colectar objetos para el Museo de Berlin: era el doctor don Carlos Segeth que desde ese año vivió en Chile i especialmente en Santiago, hasta su muerte, 14 de Diciembre de 1890.

P.S. Here b. 1821

OK. I assume he came to South America with Captain Johann Wilhelm Wendt (1802-1847) and Franz Julius Ferdinand Meyen (1804-1840) who wrote Reise um die Erde, ausgeführt auf dem königlich preußischen Seehandlungs-Schiffe Prinzeß Louise, commandirt von Capitain W. Wendt in den Jahren 1830, 1831 und 1832.

Sorry this have to be corrected as he was part of the fourth expedition where Dr Karl Segeth was onboard. We can find him as well in the key as

Leads me to...

...in here. I have no clue how JIŘÍ MLÍKOVSKÝ and SYLKE FRAHNERT came to this dates.

OK we have already his life dates but this addition

Fregetta grallaria segethi (Philippi & Landbeck, 1860) OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
White-bellied Storm-petrel ssp. Fregetta grallaria segethi R.A.Philippi & Landbeck, 1860
Dr Karl Segeth (Seghet) (d.1890) was a German surgeon and naturalist. He was the surgeon-naturalist on board the Prussian vessel Princess Louise collecting on behalf of the Berlin Museum. A seaman on board the same vessel, Bernhard 'Bernardo' Philippi, worked as Segeth's assistant (1837). The two decided Museum. A seaman on board the same vessel, Bernhard 'Bernardo' Philippi, worked as Segeth's assistant (1837). The two decided to go into partnership and jumped ship to become professional collectors in Chile. Bernardo Philippi was killed in Tierra del Fuego (1852). His brother Rodolpho Amando Philippi (1808–1904), a zoologist and palaeontologist, described the petrel.

But Eduard Klee still not solved.

Based on these docs:

NameCarl Eduard Klee
Birthabt 1814
Death4. Sep 1879 (4 Sep 1879) Danzig, Freie Stadt Danzig, Preußen

Attachments

• B3191_00028.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 42896_srep100^012302-00343.jpg
    42896_srep100^012302-00343.jpg
    926.7 KB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back