• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Savannah Sparrow (1 Viewer)

Proposes the following arrangement:

• Passerculus sandwichensis Savannah Sparrow (incl princeps 'Ipswich Sparrow')
  • Passerculus beldingi Belding's Sparrow (incl guttatus)
  • Passerculus rostratus Large-billed Sparrow (incl atratus)
  • Passerculus sanctorum San Benito Sparrow (monotypic)
As with Rising's AOU proposal 2008-A-8, guttatus 1867 is again invalidly treated as a subspecies of beldingi 1885 - should be P guttatus with ssp beldingi.
[Cornell/Clements also includes guttatus in the beldingi 'group' (and better still, includes sandwichensis in the nevadensis group rather than the sandwichensis group!).]

The map on p48 indicates that both magdalenae and anulus are synonymised with guttatus. However proposal 2008-A-8 stated that beldingi intergrades into anulus, and guttatus intergrades into magdalenae.

All other subspecies are synonymised with sandwichensis.
[Navarro-Sigüenza & Peterson 2004 suggested that allopatrically-breeding brunnescens of the Mexican highlands may deserve recognition as an 'evolutionary species'.]

Richard

Last edited:
I notice that in all of the AOU/Rising's documents listed in Richard's post, the following study is omitted:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3247750

Has anyone seen the full length Zink et al (2005) paper, and does anyone know why it was ignored or not referenced by the AOU, Rising, etc? Or have I missed something blindingly obvious?

Cheers
D

I can't speak really of the methods, as I am not familar enough with genetics to know what effect their gene sampling had (only ND2 was sampled)

However the NJ tree presented would argue for one species, as the the major division was between Northern birds and Southern Californian birds. However Northern birds from as far away as Ontario and Newfoundland cluster with the Socal birds. So it doesn't appear that the genetics match up well with the morphotypes. I would guess the addition of extra genes would probably clear up this problem, but I can imagine if you are arguing for separate species status for some of the Savannah Sparrows, this might not be the best paper to use to support it.

Actually, Zink's paper is cited in the AOU proposal, it is simply omitted from the reference list...

Most of what appear on p54 in the Rising paper (header "Genetics", and the figure) is quite clearly directly derived from this paper as well, even if Zink's name doesn't appear anywhere (Birding papers are not referenced...).

Actually, Zink's paper is cited in the AOU proposal, it is simply omitted from the reference list...

Most of what appear on p54 in the Rising paper (header "Genetics", and the figure) is quite clearly directly derived from this paper as well, even if Zink's name doesn't appear anywhere (Birding papers are not referenced...).

Ah, so I did miss something blindingly obvious, then. Seems like the AOU are right to hold back on this ...

'Anulus'

The map on p48 indicates that both magdalenae and anulus are synonymised with guttatus. However proposal 2008-A-8 stated that beldingi intergrades into anulus, and guttatus intergrades into magdalenae.
Just realised that I neglected the distribution summary on p55:
...the two subspecies would be beldingi, found from San Luis Obispo County, California, south to Bahía Vizcaíno, Baja California; and guttatus, found from Laguna San Ignacio south to Bahía Magdalena, Baja California Sur.
So, contra the map (which depicts Bahía Vizcaíno [ie anulus] within the range of guttatus), anulus is indeed synonymised with beldingi.

Richard

Just realised that I neglected the distribution summary on p55...
The WebExtra Feature includes van Rossem's 1947 map:
www.aba.org/birding/v42n6p44w1.html

Interesting post by Louis Bevier on ID-FRONTIERS yesterday (includes a link to van Rossem 1947):
If there is still interest in this topic, folks might want to look at my photos of five Savannah Sparrow specimens from San Luis Obispo County, California: http://gallery.me.com/lrbevier#100121. I photographed these while visiting the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) in December 2007. The five birds include three individuals of migratory western Savannah Sparrows, a resident breeding bird from Morro Bay (alaudinus; these are called Belding’s in the Birding article), and a Large-billed (rostratus). I think one can see two things: (1) none of the specimens from San Luis Obispo County look anything like typical eastern birds; and (2) among the migratory western birds, the small, finely streaked coastal breeding birds from sw. British Columbia to extreme n. California (brooksi) are fairly distinctive, although perhaps not readily so in the field. The two other migratory western birds are similar to each other and nevadensis and/or anthinus. Would birders be motivated to learn something about the biogeography, migration, and wintering ranges of these birds if all continental populations were subsumed under one name? A paper by Jim Rising last year (Wilson Journal of Ornithology 121 [2]: 253-264, 2009), notably unmentioned in the Birding article, analyzed plumage pattern and coloration among Savannah Sparrows. Surprisingly, no specimens of these coastal Pacific Northwest birds were sampled. This makes me wonder if we aren’t susceptible to the pendulum swinging too far the other direction, lumping taxa with perhaps the same gaps in sampling on which some poorly defined subspecies were defined.

Moving the species boundary between Belding’s and Savannah Sparrows into San Luis Obispo County raises interesting questions. The Morro Bay bird in my photos was difficult to distinguish from beldingi specimens (s. Santa Barbara County south); so allying them with Belding’s is plausible. The same dark birds as found in Morro Bay also occur to the south at two river estuaries in w. Santa Barbara County (Santa Maria R. and Santa Ynez R.) but are disjunct by 60 miles of coastline and a major biogeographic break from the northernmost "true" belding in s. S.B. Co. To the north, similar birds to Morro Bay occur all the way to Humboldt Bay. This is the range of the subspecies alaudinus (= bryanti of older literature). Unlike the populations currently defined as beldingi from s. Santa Barbara County south, however, these northern birds are not as closely tied to saltmarsh, also nesting in the fog-belt grasslands along the coast. I think the break between southern Santa Barbara birds and the w. S.B. Co. birds included by Rising with beldingi is so far unexamined; also, the nature of the transition to the north of San Luis Obispo County to central Monterey County (and northward) remains poorly studied. I should point out that these nuances were noted by Grinnell and Miller (1944) decades ago.

No doubt many subspecies are erroneous or simply arbitrary subdivisions within a cline. But a serious attempt to properly quantify and rigorously define subspecies has been underway (see "Avian Subspecies" Ornithological Monograph no. 67, 2010). Some who have attempted to gauge the validity of subspecies suggest that as many as half might not be valid (e.g., Patten et al. in "Birds of the Salton Sea"). Nevertheless, disparagement of the junky subspecies in the empty half of the glass discounts the wonderful utility of the other half for evolutionary inquiry. Forgotten also, I think, is the role that these old names play as a link to the literature and the descriptive history of birds. Many of the nuances and exceptions to geographic patterns are there in those old papers but too often overlooked. Lastly, I think there has been an over-reliance on molecular genetic analyses, which often are based on even fewer samples with less regard to proper geographic sampling than some original descriptions of subspecies. Molecular markers hold great promise, but evolutionary inferences based on mitochondrial DNA, for example, have major limitations. The results are also misinterpreted with regard to what constitutes subspecies (e.g. and expectation of reciprocal monophyly when by definition there is gene flow between subspecies). One can spot genetic results that don’t make sense when the trees (cladograms) do a poor job of explaining the morphology or biogeography; the Birding article (and the paper upon which the genetic data are based, Zink et al., Condor 107: 21-28, 2005) seems a good example of this, with Ipswich and Large-billed Savannah Sparrows unresolved.

I’ll admit a bias, I really like the idea of Large-billed Savannah Sparrow as a species, but just as the lower limit of what constitutes a subspecies is problematic, so is the delimitation of some closely related species. Are the San Benito birds good species because they don’t nest in saltmarsh but share alleles and many morphological traits with the mainland birds? Nesting away from saltmarsh also occurs in at least one population of beldingi on the Todos Santos islands off Ensenada. This shift away from saltmarsh is also shown in the birds from w. Santa Barbara County north in California. What if rapid evolution or a short time in isolation means mtDNA is the wrong marker to reveal genetic differences of the Ipswich Sparrow, and we are misclassifying it as a subspecies? A paper published this year by Joseph Tobias et al. on delimitation of species would seem to be the perfect tool to analyze these questions. Those authors outline a system for quantifying and weighting characters that I think is a step forward (see Ibis 152: 724–746, 2010).

I agree with Alvaro that it would be great to come up with another way to communicate geographic variation without the typological connotations inherent in names. I’ve thought that a sort of shaded topographical map representing character changes across a geographic range would be effective. But the problem with naming clines or trying to represent them with gradations on a map is that the underlying data are likely to be just as inadequate and sparse as the data for some described subspecies. The practical effect would be graphs or names that mislead as much as outlining ranges. Another approach is that taken by David Sibley, where groups of populations are identified with geographic regions. I like this and it works well. Nevertheless, one loses the link to the underlying specimens and associated localities identified in the literature. The regional names can be nebulous, or misconstrued, too. I think we just have to accept that organisms are variable and remember to read the fine print. As an example, look at the marvelous plate by George Miksch Sutton in A. J. van Rossem’s paper on the Baja and northwest Mexican Belding’s and Large-billed Savannah Sparrows (http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Condor/files/issues/v049n03/p0097-p0107.pdf). The diversity is there to see, and I don’t think the names really matter.

Louis Bevier
Fairfield, Maine

[Earlier posts in Dec 2010, week 3, subject 7:
listserv.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind1012c&L=birdwg01]

Richard

“The same dark birds as found in Morro Bay also occur to the south at two river estuaries in w. Santa Barbara County (Santa Maria R. and Santa Ynez R.) but are disjunct by 60 miles of coastline and a major biogeographic break from the northernmost "true" beldingi in s. S.B. Co. (There is the Transverse range that goes east /west north of Santa Barbara which is the northernmost and southernmost for many plant species. ) To the north, similar birds to Morro Bay occur all the way to Humboldt Bay. This is the range of the subspecies alaudinus (= bryanti of older literature). Unlike the populations currently defined as beldingi from s. Santa Barbara County south, however, these northern birds are not as closely tied to saltmarsh, also nesting in the fog-belt grasslands along the coast. “

I participated in the Santa Maria/Guadalupe Christmas Bird Count today (Central coast Cali) and was surprised to see a (northern dark beldingi -ish? (Morro Bay-like) Savannah Sparrow) a few miles inland from the estuary in a grassy cow pasture. Wish I took a picture to show this. It was really dark. I never thought that the birds that breed in the Santa Maria River Estuary were beldingi but I was not sure what they were. (Lehman 1994, “intermediates between (alaudinus) and beldingi are possibly involved”) In fall and winter there are all kinds of ssp of Savannah Sparrows in this area.

Wait, “I don’t think*the names really matter.” Names matter for 'Nomenclature Geeks' (thanks for giving us a name Guy) .

In the San Francisco Bay Area the birds breeding in the bay, in salt marsh habitats are distinctly darker and have less of a median crown stripe than birds that breed in uplands (such as the coast where I live). Unfortunately it is very difficult to compare apples to apples, as sun, heat, salt and so forth in the salt marshes create pretty messy plumages by late spring/summer, while coastal birds (lots of cloud cover) look pretty good and dark still. If you wait until you have fresh plumages in fall, well then we have all the migrants. The seeming difference in coloration within such a short distance (albeit slight) has not been dealt with adequately in the literature I think. In other words - where does beldingi actually end towards the north? Alvaro.

In the San Francisco Bay Area the birds breeding in the bay, in salt marsh habitats are distinctly darker and have less of a median crown stripe than birds that breed in uplands (such as the coast where I live). Unfortunately it is very difficult to compare apples to apples, as sun, heat, salt and so forth in the salt marshes create pretty messy plumages by late spring/summer, while coastal birds (lots of cloud cover) look pretty good and dark still. If you wait until you have fresh plumages in fall, well then we have all the migrants. The seeming difference in coloration within such a short distance (albeit slight) has not been dealt with adequately in the literature I think. In other words - where does beldingi actually end towards the north? Alvaro.

Sounds like a long-running study is needed, combining constant-effort ringing sites, DNA analyses and stable isotope ratio analyses. All it needs is money, resources and expertise... just like dozens of other ornithological puzzles!
MJB

Belding's Sparrow

Rising 2010. The Many Savannah Sparrows. Birding 42(6): 44-55.
www.aba.org/birding/v42n6p44.pdf
As with Rising's AOU proposal 2008-A-8, guttatus 1867 is again invalidly treated as a subspecies of beldingi 1885 - should be P guttatus with ssp beldingi.
[Cornell/Clements also includes guttatus in the beldingi 'group'.]
Birding 43(2) [Mar 2011] includes a follow-up letter from James Rising (p12-14) which notes that although Passerculus beldingi might be a preferable name for Belding's Sparrow, the rules of nomenclature dictate the use of P. guttatus.

San Benito Sparrow

Salinas-Ortiz, Roldán-Clarà, Marina-Hipólito, Urbina-Torres & Malagón-Rodríguez 2015. Éxito reproductivo del gorrión sabanero (Passerculus sandwichensis sanctorum) en el archipiélago San Benito, México. Reproductive success of Savannah sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis sanctorum) in San Benito Archipelago, Mexico. Rev Mex Biodivers 86(1): 196–201. [pdf] (in Spanish)

Rising 2011 (HBW 16).

Phred M. Benham & Zachary A. Cheviron. Divergent mitochondrial lineages arose within a large, panmictic population of the Savannah sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis). Molecular Ecology, Accepted Article.

Abstract:

Unusual patterns of mtDNA diversity can reveal interesting aspects of a species’ biology. However, making such inferences requires discerning among the many alternative scenarios that could underlie any given mtDNA pattern. Next‐generation sequencing methods provide large, multi‐locus datasets with increased power to resolve unusual mtDNA patterns. A mtDNA‐based phylogeography of the Savannah sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) previously identified two sympatric, but divergent (~2%) clades within the nominate subspecies group and a third clade that consisted of birds sampled from northwest Mexico. We revisited the phylogeography of this species using a population genomic dataset to resolve the processes leading to the evolution of sympatric and divergent mtDNA lineages. We identified two genetic clusters in the genomic dataset corresponding to (1) the nominate subspecies group, and (2) northwestern Mexico birds. Following divergence, the nominate clade maintained a large, stable population, indicating that divergent mitochondrial lineages arose within a panmictic population. Simulations based on parameter estimates from this model further confirmed that this demographic history could produce observed levels of mtDNA diversity. Patterns of divergent, sympatric mtDNA lineages are frequently interpreted as admixture of historically isolated lineages. Our analyses reject this interpretation for Savannah sparrows and underscore the need for genomic datasets to resolve the evolutionary mechanisms behind anomalous, locus‐specific patterns.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back