• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scrub Jay - Canada BC - Feb. 16 (1 Viewer)

Indobirder

Hi all,

The following Jay visited my place in Chilliwack this past Saturday. Scrub-Jays are rare in the area, and the expected ones would be California (seen somewhat regularly). However this doesn't look like a California, but rather much more like a Woodhouses's.

I posted on a local birding forum, and it is suggested that it's possibly a hybrid between Steller's and Woodhouses's. (there's a link to another thread about a local Jay that was supposed to be a hybrid) http://bcbirding.proboards.com/thread/11572/jay

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 0Y7A4379.jpg
    0Y7A4379.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 0Y7A4389.JPG
    0Y7A4389.JPG
    408.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 0Y7A4391.jpg
    0Y7A4391.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 0Y7A4397.jpg
    0Y7A4397.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 0Y7A4421.jpg
    0Y7A4421.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 31
Does anyone think it looks different than regular Woodhouses's? Or does it look like a hybrid of some sort?
If it had been seen in Utah I wonder whether anyone would question it being Woodhouses's.
I do have more pictures, but the above covers most everything (so let me know if you need me to post more :) )

Thanks!

Wow, an interesting bird!

Although I have very little experience with western jays, this bird certainly doesn't tick all the boxes of any of the three species mentioned in the OP.

The strong white throat seems wrong for Woodhouse's, but the underparts are wrong for California. I would say that the back fits Woodhouse's better, but to me it looks a bit too dark, especially on the face, for any normal scrub-jay.

Not sure what to make of this!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back