• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray on the way (1 Viewer)

I am surprised you didn't bite on tht 9x Pentax Tero. I look forward though to reading your and Bob's reviews of the 9x36 Diamondback when the time comes.

Zen data and pics at
http://www.zen-ray.com/
The Vista 8x42 seems to be challenging the Diamondbacks.
The 80mm scope looks like a good beginner scope. Hmm, do I need a scope? I need to sell one first.
price $185.99

I'm looking for a basic spotting scope to get started with. What would the Zen-Ray scope compare with? The 80mm size is tempting and the price is great. Any ideas?

I'm looking for a basic spotting scope to get started with. What would the Zen-Ray scope compare with? The 80mm size is tempting and the price is great. Any ideas?

This is just conjecture. If the assumption is made of a close optical relationship between the Promaster ELX ED, the Hawke Frontier ED, and now maybe the ZEN ED, can we assume the same relationship exists with spotting scopes from the same companies? I'm not sure. If the same relationship exists, I'll point out that I've seen two reviews of the Promaster ED spotting scope that pretty well indicated they were not the same optical quality of the Promaster binoculars. Beyond that, maybe the ZEN spotter is a different sort of instrument.

I don't think you can make that assumption Steve.

The reason we assume the Hawke ED and Zen ED are similar is because the specs match up and the external appearance looks like they match. Of course well know for sure when we AB them.

The Promaster seems similar but has some slightly different biases in design (or perhaps it's just down to the diameter of a field stop in the eyepiece).

With scopes you don't know if they're buying them from the same OEM even so that seems like a bigger stretch. Plus with scopes they have a choice of tube and objective from menu A and EP from menu B (so long as it screws into the 36.4mm thread). Unless you get a good match on specs (focal length, physical dimensions, EP spec) trying this on scopes is a bit more of a risk.

One thing I'd be more confident about ... I suspect the bin and the scope don't share a designer. I don't think they could be that close yet so far apart. If you see what I mean.

This is just conjecture. If the assumption is made of a close optical relationship between the Promaster ELX ED, the Hawke Frontier ED, and now maybe the ZEN ED, can we assume the same relationship exists with spotting scopes from the same companies? I'm not sure. If the same relationship exists, I'll point out that I've seen two reviews of the Promaster ED spotting scope that pretty well indicated they were not the same optical quality of the Promaster binoculars. Beyond that, maybe the ZEN spotter is a different sort of instrument.

Kevin

I agree, this can't be made and after I read it closer I decided it was not worth posting and promptly hit submit. I intended to not post that. Didn't realize I had until just now. |:d|

I got to thinking that I really did not remember anything other than the Zen-Ray Sedona looked like the Promaster ELX ED scope. It looks like they appear to have the same basic enclosure, but neither site gives enough specifications for any comparisons to be made. About the only thing that can be said is that the Zen-Ray does not appear to have ED glass. The Zen-Ray scope also looks more like the lower grade Promaster scope too.

It is however advertised for $189 on the Zen-Ray site. That might make it a decent start point, but it would not seem to indicate much else.

Any ideas what this scope would compare to. I've never had aspotting scope before so I have no point of reference. Might it be in the range of a Stokes Sandpiper or is that asking too much?

I am going to be in the market for a solid, but inexpensive, backup to my Pentax spotter. Maybe a review of the Zen Ray scope would be in order.

;)

I got notification from Zen Ray today that they still are waiting for their shipment of ZEN ED from the factory. They hope to have them in time to overnight mine for Friday. But sounds like Tuesday is more likely. It would be nice to have them for review over the long MLK weekend. They sent me the same photos posted elsewhere, so I will not duplicate here. They did say the "phase coated" and "ED glass" lettering on the eye cups is laser engraved. I was disappointed to hear the engraving was not Zen Rayed! ;)

Sounds like the ZRS will be along by the end of the month.

I am going to be in the market for a solid, but inexpensive, backup to my Pentax spotter. Maybe a review of the Zen Ray scope would be in order.

;)

What do you need two similar spotters for, Frank? I have an extra spotter and it has not been easy to get rid of. Starter spotters/travel spotters are a dime a dozen. When used.

Last edited:

;)

I'd be very interested in a review of the scope. With all the attention the bins are getting I'm hoping the scope is a good value as well.

Tero,

I did have a nice little Celestron Ultima 65 that I sold to Kevin awhile back. I used it basically as a stationary scope to point out the back window at the feeders. The Pentax is what I tote around when I go birding around the area. I was thinking of actually keeping my digitial camera attached to the "house scope" in case I was able to get any more good digiscoped shots of the pine siskins. I wish more scope companies provided a 20-25x wide angle eyepiece alternative to the 20-60x zoom found on so many models.

Steve,

I was thinking of asking them to overnight mine as well but I have my hands full at the moment. :)

I did have a nice little Celestron Ultima 65 that I sold to Kevin awhile back. I used it basically as a stationary scope to point out the back window at the feeders. The Pentax is what I tote around when I go birding around the area. I was thinking of actually keeping my digitial camera attached to the "house scope" in case I was able to get any more good digiscoped shots of the pine siskins. I wish more scope companies provided a 20-25x wide angle eyepiece alternative to the 20-60x zoom found on so many models.

And I've got it as a loner/wife's scope coupled with a cheap (and a bit wobbly) Pentax branded but made in China $30 tripod with QR (and bag that the scope actually fits into). Not great but handy for just throwing around.

One thing I'd like to try with this scope (wrong sub-forum I know) is to get a 36.4mm to 1.25" visual back (eyepiece adaptor). This is another of those Synta/Vixen scopes with a 36.4mm externally thread EP so with the adpator it may be able to take a 1.25" eyepeice. Might be a cheap route to a x20 to x25 fixed scope which would be a decent match for this scope.

If anyone has a 36.4mm to 1.25" visual back/eyepiece adaptor hanging around they don't want PM me I'll buy it from you. Celestron used to include them in the box so you may have one you've never used.

My decent scope is a Vortex Sandpiper but it needs a decent tripod/head.

On a more relevant to this thread note: I got mail back from Charles saying they were Priority mailing the bins to me. I'm just 150 miles up I5 from them so it shouldn't take long assuming they have stock.

Good bin testing weather coming up: perhaps overcast and foggy (perhaps the toughest for a bin ... a hemisphere of light) and maybe sunny.

I don't mind waiting, but I like to follow the UPS tracking. I am getting a pair sometime, maybe even this month. ;) I did enclose email, this store did not bother sending the UPS tracking. OK, it was a good price. Next time at EO.

The scopes should all adapt to digiscoping, I just did not get that much out of it. I get a nice view and a positive ID, I don't need to wreck that with crappy photos of the bird.

On a more relevant to this thread note: I got mail back from Charles saying they were Priority mailing the bins to me. I'm just 150 miles up I5 from them so it shouldn't take long assuming they have stock. Good bin testing weather coming up: perhaps overcast and foggy (perhaps the toughest for a bin ... a hemisphere of light) and maybe sunny.[/QUOTE said:
Kevin,
Which ones?? The Zen ED??

Dave

Kevin,
Which ones?? The Zen ED??

Dave

Yeap, the Zen ED interest me most.

I can compare to the Hawke/Promaster (and plenty of others). Plus I'd like to see the difference between the 8x and 10x.

Depending on how this goes I might look at the ZRS (Summit) 8x later.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back