• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Very Happy Zen-ray Owner (1 Viewer)

Thus, the alpha comparisons, unfair as they are. It's more about what people really want than about how good the Zens really are.

I'm not sure the alpha comparisons are really unfair. In point of fact when one looks at the image of the ZEN, it is the alpha comparison that is in fact the logical one to make. It is good enough that it makes people forget that they are dealing with a $400 instrument, not a $2,000 one. So when we get into certain facets of picking the thing apart, then it should not be unreasonable to begin to see the flaws in the less expensive glass. It is just at that point, the direct alpha comparison breaks down.

At some point it becomes obvious that certain refinements are going to cost $$$$$. If that is worth it or not is an individual choice. ZEN can't get much closer for $400. Can the alpha continue to justify the $1,200+++ price difference for the improvement they offer? This just gives a lot of people who won't or simply can't spend alpha money a very satisfactory alternative.

Thanks for the info.
If you consider the close focus distance, maybe this binocular is not as slow as you guys perceive? Would it not be inevitable that a close focusing binocular needs more turns? What if you compare it with the alphas from six ft to infinity? I reckon most 8x32s have a close focus of approx 6ft.

The 7x36 is about 1.75 turns from close to infinity. Most of that, say .5 turns goes from close to maybe 10 meters. About another,say .75 turns takes you to infinity and the rest past infinity.

Most of the slow is gone by the time you hit 15-20 meters, or maybe even closer. So unless you are really birding up close, even the ED 1 was really not so bad.

The 7x36 is about 1.75 turns from close to infinity. Most of that, say .5 turns goes from close to maybe 10 meters. About another,say .75 turns takes you to infinity and the rest past infinity.

Most of the slow is gone by the time you hit 15-20 meters, or maybe even closer. So unless you are really birding up close, even the ED 1 was really not so bad.

I'm not surprised. The closer you get, the shorter the the dept of field (in any binocular). Therfore a comparison should be made from the distance where most binoculars focus, say 6-12 ft to infinity.

I'm not surprised. The closer you get, the shorter the the dept of field (in any binocular). Therfore a comparison should be made from the distance where most binoculars focus, say 6-12 ft to infinity.

The real issue is the focusing objective has a linear travel as the focuser turns (I think) but the focusing distance goes more like 1/f so the docusing rate is the differential of that and changes slowly (as the lens moves so the focuser moves) at short distances and "speeds up" at long distances.

The replacement objective covers arrived, today, only an hour after I ordered the Bushwackers covers. I am hopeful that the Bushwackers will provide some shading and improve the view.
Incidentally, I find the focussing stiff. Has it loosened for anyone?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

do you like the new covers? No, my focus is still too stiff, and now the winter is coming. Good thing i need to refocus so seldom, due to large dof

do you like the new covers? No, my focus is still too stiff, and now the winter is coming. Good thing i need to refocus so seldom, due to large dof

Hello Kristoffer,

The covers stay tethered on the tubes, which is what is needed.

I ordered the Bushwackers from Eagle Optics, who assured me that they would probably be selling a 7x36 Atlas made at the same factory as the Zen-Ray. I think that Eagle may be able to "tweak" the design to overcome some of the shortcoming of the Zen-Ray. Then again they may not, as the design specifications may have been set, months ago.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

received mine.

got the new covers yesterday. They fit much better on the barrel. I had to stretch the retaining ring a bit to get it on.

ok, thanks för the info guys. The BW covers seems to be great but hard to find/get shipped to sweden so great that the replacement fits.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back