• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray Prime HD (1 Viewer)

I recently dipped my toe in the Chinese binocular waters with the purchase of a Leupold Yosemite BX-1 8x30. I am very impressed with its optical performance for the $79 new, USD price.
I am interested in learning more about this model from Zen Ray. Given the price point, perhaps it will have better mechanical aspects than have been reported about its older siblings. I look forward to reading more about them.

I find myself thinking about the cheaper porro bins from time to time. Sounds as if you're happy w/purchase.

El Primo glass grande, as I understand, is supposed to raise the bar and become the pinnacle of Chiney-Yank offerings in a no holds barred, steel caged, lumberjack, tour de force, death match.

Cutting edge red technology w/good ole Yankee ingenuity determined to scale up the mountain a notch or two hoping to catch a glimpse of the alpha promise land.

Yet, as Juan Valdez only picks the ripest bean, so must we wait for the little engine that could to reach the pinnacle of elitist lens; where only the richest kind is grown, sown, sliced, diced, julienne, scattered, covered and smothered.

Perchance a press release from das Wolfsschanze will be imminent as I await w/bated breath.

Nix,

I was hoping Charles would chime in. The last I had heard they were still working out all of the kinks so that the nitpickers wouldn't have as much to nitpick about.

Just like everyone else I eagerly await its release.

Bob,

I am totally relaxed. My earlier post was said more "tongue in cheek". Truth be told I look forward to getting my hands on one but it is not essential. Now if it were a 7x wide angle that was sharp edge to edge with ED glass.....

;)

Bob,

I am totally relaxed. My earlier post was said more "tongue in cheek". Truth be told I look forward to getting my hands on one but it is not essential. Now if it were a 7x wide angle that was sharp edge to edge with ED glass.....

;)

Frank:

I think the only one I can think of to fit your wish list currently would be
the Nikon EDG 7x42, 8 deg. widest FOV of all the EDG models.
I have not tried them, but have others, and I bet they would be quite good.;)

Happy New Year.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you for the suggestion. I did handle one once and I would agree that it is an excellent overall binocular. I am sort of "hooked" on these wide angle 7xs lately. If we could add a hundred or more feet onto the field of view of the EDGs then they would certainly be everything I am looking for.

A Happy New Year to you and yours as well Jerry.

Happy New Year to all of you.

I really appreciate your interest in our upcoming PRIME HD binoculars. Our original plan for PRIME HD was to launch it before the Christmas. In the last few months, we discovered a couple of potential items that may cause long term reliability issues with the original design. We could either stick with our current design and schedule and deal with the issues years later, or provide a solid product to our customers by postponing the products by a couple of months so we can iron out those kinks. Obviously, we made a conscious decision to prioritize quality over schedule. Stay tuned, we will officially announce the availibility date of the PRIME HD later this month.

Thank you very much for your patiene and support.

Charles

Hi Charles,

Any plans for an 8.5x 42 (~400ft FOV) with this Prime HD?

3:) Happy New Year to all........cheers B :) B :) ;)

Hi Charles,

Any plans for an 8.5x 42 (~400ft FOV) with this Prime HD?

I guess it is a little bit too tight to squeeze in 8.5x between 8x and 10x. As mentioned earlier, since we are not going to produce 7x42 for PRIME HD, 8x will be as close as one can get for lower power, wider FOV format.

Charles

Thanks for the response Charles.......your reasoning is understandable - though probably not the news I was hoping for....

How about a 9x comprimise? :smoke:
With the 65 degree AFOV of this Prime HD design, that would pan out to about ~7.2 degrees FOV (~380ft@1Kyd).
It should still be close to the 20mm ER as well..... :t:

A pretty useful addition to the marketplace (fairly competitor free at those specs too.....)
Just a thought......:brains:
With over 4500 views to this thread so far, it would seem there's a fair bit of interest out there.....

All the best, Chosun :gh:

FrankD,

There is a Feb. 22nd post to your Zen-Ray Prime HD tread on the Optics Talk forum saying the poster received an e-mail from Zen-Ray stating pre-orders will be taken starting early March with a delivery by mid May.

Yes, I remember that.

It would be interesting to see some actual Prime HD pics though not computer generated drawings. I eagerly await seeing the pre-order page on the Zen Ray website. Excitement has been building for a good 6 months now. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back