• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taxonomic changes to the British List (1 Viewer)

Steve Dudley

aka The Toadsnatcher
United Kingdom
In the October issue of the British Ornithologists’ Union’s journal, Ibis, the BOU publishes the latest taxonomic recommendations for British birds by the Taxonomic Sub-committee (TSC) of the BOU Records Committee (BOURC) (Sangster et al. 2012. Ibis 154: 874-883).

You can see a summary of the key items from the report on the BOU website here.

The full report will be available free to view from 20 September 2012).

Steve Dudley | BOU

Interesting stuff. But I was disappointed not to see Northern Harrier on there as a newly recognised species...
I wonder if there have been proven any records of Siberian Nuthatch as yet unsubmitted, or photos of migrant 'Nuthatches' from the Northern Isles awaiting to be unearthed?

Mark

pdf

The full report will be available free to view from 20 September 2012.
Thanks, Steve. :t:

The full report is actually online already:
  • Sangster, Collinson, Crochet, Knox, Parkin & Votier 2012. Taxonomic recommendations for British birds: eighth report. Ibis 154(4): 874–883. [pdf]

I wonder if there have been proven any records of Siberian Nuthatch as yet unsubmitted, or photos of migrant 'Nuthatches' from the Northern Isles awaiting to be unearthed?

Mark

If I remember rightly Siberian Nuthatches are confined to far eastern Russia (the country's first endemic too I think) so a pretty unlikely candidate for the British List.

Siberian Nuthatch

If I remember rightly Siberian Nuthatches are confined to far eastern Russia (the country's first endemic too I think) so a pretty unlikely candidate for the British List.
IOC's recommended English name 'Siberian Nuthatch' for Sitta arctica had previously been used by Birding World and Dutch Birding for S europaea asiatica - although DB later revised that to 'Asian Nuthatch'(!!!) following IOC's unilateral name grab ;). But given that S arctica reportedly breeds up to 68°N, perhaps 'Arctic Nuthatch' would have been a good alternative to avoid potential confusion.

PS. Red’kin & Konovalova 2006.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any surprises here, perhaps apart from the Nuthatch. I assume the relevant work is convincing - the Arctic far east isn't an area I'd normally associate with endemics! The fact that Madeiran Storm-petrel sensu lato is still retained on Cat A, does at least suggest that, by analogy, "Southern Skua" might be acceptable for the same...

cheers, alan

Madeiran Storm Petrel

The fact that Madeiran Storm-petrel sensu lato is still retained on Cat A, does at least suggest that, by analogy, "Southern Skua" might be acceptable for the same...
Technically, Madeiran Storm Petrel Oceanodroma castro (monotypic) is on the British List. The BOURC 41st Report (Oct 2012, in Ibis Jan 2013) will confirm which of the TSC 8th report recommendations will be formally adopted by BOURC. Presumably BOURC will accommodate band-rumped storm petrel sp (and southern skua sp) on the British List...

Last edited:
Technically, Madeiran Storm Petrel Oceanodroma castro (monotypic) is on the British List. The BOURC 41st Report (Oct 2012) will confirm which of the TSC 8th report recommendations will be formally adopted by BOURC. Presumably BOURC will accommodate band-rumped storm petrel sp (and southern skua sp) on the British List...

Richard, I am only using the BOURC phrasing, which verbatim is
"There is a single British record of ‘Madeiran Storm Petrel’ sensu lato (off Isles of Scilly, 28 July 2007; British Ornithologists’ Union (BOU) 2012)."
..though i guess '.....' are important in these situations..;)

a

btw, can anyone find a good photo of Siberian Nuthatch online? I struggled to find anything in a brief search earlier.

cheers, alan

Richard, I am only using the BOURC phrasing, which verbatim is
"There is a single British record of ‘Madeiran Storm Petrel’ sensu lato (off Isles of Scilly, 28 July 2007; British Ornithologists’ Union (BOU) 2012)."
Alan, splitting hairs, but more precisely you're using the TSC phrasing. ;) There's a (subtle) distinction between (BOURC)TSC and 'BOURC'. To quote Martin:
The process is quite simple, at least since we simplified it... the Taxonomic Subcommittee publishes recommendations relating to the British List. BOURC incorporates those changes into the List when changes are detailed in the BOURC reports published annually in January's Ibis.

BOURC is responsible for managing the List, which involves sorting out the collateral damage |=)| from TSC reports i.e. includes determining the status of 'new' species and subspecies, adopting vernacular names and setting a timescale for big (high ranking) sequence changes.

However, in this context we really need to rename the concept, into 'feather-splitting' 8-P

B :)

Niels

Siberian Grouse? And there are many breeding endemics, for example, several species of arctic waders.

Thanks guys. Bloody publishers! It wasn't free when I checked when I posted the announcement and was told by our publisher it wouldn't be available until tomorrow.

Ah well. At least it is available and thats the main thing!

I assume the relevant work is convincing - the Arctic far east isn't an area I'd normally associate with endemics!

I think we're going to see more of these east Siberian endemics. There are quite a few species over there that seem to be closer to their American counterparts than to the European ones: Vega Gull, borealis Northern Shrike, Barn Swallows to mention a few. Some sort of glacial refugia must have been going on.

And then we have the American waders that also breed in the East Asian Arctic: Long-billed Dowitcher, Pectoral Sandpiper! Plus Eastern Yellow Wagtail.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back