• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax *istDS - ? (1 Viewer)

KatBar

I'm planning to buy digital camera. Now I use Pentax MZ-5N with a couple of Pentax lenses and it would be obviously logical for me to take digital Pentax. But it looks strange that Pentax digital cameras are never mentioned in reviews and discussions (at least I failed to find any information - maybe I searched incorrectly?) Are there any Pentax users??? Or maybe it will be better to save money and later switch to Canon?

I'm happy

KatBar said:
I'm planning to buy digital camera. Now I use Pentax MZ-5N with a couple of Pentax lenses and it would be obviously logical for me to take digital Pentax. But it looks strange that Pentax digital cameras are never mentioned in reviews and discussions (at least I failed to find any information - maybe I searched incorrectly?) Are there any Pentax users??? Or maybe it will be better to save money and later switch to Canon?

I bought an *istDs about a month ago. Have used it a lot since purchase. Very happy with it. Main reason I bought Pentax was brand loyalty , ( had several Pentax 35mm SLRs ) and the fact that I had several decent Pentax lenses - all manual focus , some with aperture ring.
After reading a lot of reviews , was an easy decision. The *istDs viewfinder is very good and the camera is compact - both factors I liked.
And you can't complain about the price - $990 has been a common walkin price for a while. All I needed was a wide angle - got the Pentax 16-45mm - feels a bit plastic to handle , but it's a great lense , and I really like the "quick shift" focus system.
I'm not super impressed with the overall build quality , but you can't have everything for less than a grand. (I have not closely compared the competition, so maybe this is unjustified criticism?)
would be happy to send some sample pics
Dave

Last edited:
KatBar said:

Stumbled across this discussion on a dpreview forum, thought it was highly relevant to this thread.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=14175806

Keep the lenses, buy the Pentax would seem to be the conclusion. I'm thinking of doing just this to get the use out of my now sadly underused Pentax film SLR lenses.

Duncan.

I've been using a Pentax DS for nearly three months. It's still better then I am. It's fast enough to catch the action and I have yet to use up a set of batteries in a single days shooting. I believe the sensor is the same one used by the Nikon D100. If you shoot RAW, the quality of your pictures will depend mainly on your ability.
Depending on what you're coming from, if you already have and like Pentax lenses, I would recommend it. I was able to use an old 50mm left over from a Spotmatic I had thirty years ago. The only limitation I know of is the relatively limited selection of lenses when compared to Canon or Nikon. I got the body, the kit lens and a decent zoom for a little over a thousand U.S. and immediately I was able to get shots no P&S camera could touch. Phil Askey put it best. He called a good serviceable tool. I'm happy with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back