• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ljubljana Airport! (1 Viewer)

GrumpyEagle

Just wondering whether anyone has been to Ljubljana Airport and knows what the raptors that are so abundant there are likely to be? Saw lots of them from the plane, just sitting around close to the runway. I think they were probably Common Buzzards, but could someone please confirm whether this is likely to be correct?

Hi GE...

Dragged this one up from the past, I know...

Haven't seen any Buzzards myself at the airport, but there are loads and loads on the flatlands of Slovenia.

I am by far the worst raptor identifier in the world, but I am in agreement with you that they were very likely Common Buzzards.

When it comes to belated replies, this one is sure to snatch the gold medal!

Judging by the time of your visit, the most likely species is indeed Common Buzzard. Otherwise, the area around the airport can be quite productive during migration: Montagu's and Hen Harriers and both kites are all possible, not to mention the resident hosts of Kestrels and the aforementioned Buzzards. In winter, the fences on the far end of the airfield host a considerable number of Great Grey Shrikes.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back