• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where can I watch birds in Spain? (And how can I convince my sister to join me?!) (1 Viewer)

G

Gleb Berloff

I am very interested in observing certain bird species in Spain, as I sometimes arrive there for holidays and am based in Santa Pola when there, without a car.
I would very much recommend any advice at all on observing certain species below. Mostly this is all about raptors and owls again, but there are some others I am interested in.
For Alcoy and its Griffon Vultures, I would like to just find out whether anything else nests of interest in the Barranc del Sinc and in Sierra Mariola in general. Do any golden or bonelli's eagles or eagle owls nest there, or anywhere close by?
I am extremely interested in golden eagles, and wonder if there are any good places near Alicante where they can be encountered. Preferably places to which I can get to using public transport! Do they still nest in Sierra del Maigmo? The same applies for bonelli's eagles- where could I see them? I have a superzoom camera so won't disturb them 100%.
Are there any locations anyone recommends for eagle-owls? If at all possible, just tell me the general area, as I would like to find them myself!
What is the likelihood of observing white-headed duck and marbled teal in El Hondo visitor center, as I have signed up for a private tour to this place?
Are there any places which you would perhaps recommend for colourful birds like golden oriole?
For Petrola and its great bustards, are any raptors found in that region at all?
In addition, I want to plan a visit to nature to a different part of Spain for the summer, a place where I can observe birds like Spanish Imperial Eagle, Black Stork, White Stork and Black Vulture. Lammergeier as well, maybe?
Are there any nice locations in Spain for where those can be observed?
Is it worth joining a tour to the Cantabrian Mountains to look for brown bears there?
In addition, I have a hard time convincing my sister to join me on at least one trip. She never walks, and her idea of fun is to sit 24/7 in front of a computer screen. How can I convince her to visit a nice area with me?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back