• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (2 Viewers)

Thanks Dan.

I wondered if you were still in Perth and hope you enjoy the report of my travels in WA. I had a great time there.

Princess Royal Harbour

6 November 2019

After checking the (very complex) tide table, June and I set off for a quick visit to the hide. For some reason I had difficulty getting decent images that day.

Firstly a species I'd just missed by a couple of days when with Hans, they turned up after I'd left.. Yellow-billed Spoonbill so now I had both species under my belt. I had seem some at the Gorge Wildlife Park, but these were the first wild ones.

Then a White-faced Heron chasing after a Common Greenshank. A Caspian Tern was loafing at the water's edge, and an Australian Ibis overflew two Black Swans.

We were now walking back the 'long way' and found two adorable fledgling Welcome Swallows on a post.

Attachments

• BF Yellow-billed Spoonbill thread.jpg
    BF Yellow-billed Spoonbill thread.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 14
  • BF White-faced Heron, Greenshank thread.jpg
    BF White-faced Heron, Greenshank thread.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Caspian Tern thread.jpg
    BF Caspian Tern thread.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Australian Ibis fl with Black Swan thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ibis fl with Black Swan thread.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 13
  • BF Welcome Swallow fledglings thread.jpg
    BF Welcome Swallow fledglings thread.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 12
Wonderful report, but painful for me. I was only few short days in Australia, and just got a one little bite of the country's wildlife. It is a place I hope to return one day and make a loong trip full of birding. :)

There were quite a few terns around, I've already shown you the Caspian so this one is a Greater Crested Tern. Close to them was a Great Cormorant, with a juvenile Silver Gull and a huge Australian Pelican.

Also out in the bay were some Grey Plover, some beginning to show a black belly.

Straw-necked Ibis and Little Eagle also showed up.

I didn't get any good pictures on the way back but got this record shot of a Western Whistler (I'd been hearing one on both trips down and back to the hide) ... now to get a better picture LOL.

Back home, waiting to greet me was a Western Rosella

Attachments

• BF Greater Crested Tern thread.jpg
    BF Greater Crested Tern thread.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Great Cormorant & Silver Gull thread.jpg
    BF Great Cormorant & Silver Gull thread.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Australian Pelican thread.jpg
    BF Australian Pelican thread.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 10
  • BF Western Whistler thread.jpg
    BF Western Whistler thread.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 15
  • BF Western Rosella thread.jpg
    BF Western Rosella thread.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 12
Wonderful report, but painful for me. I was only few short days in Australia, and just got a one little bite of the country's wildlife. It is a place I hope to return one day and make a loong trip full of birding. :)

Thank you so much Jurek.

Do get yourself back there - maybe this report will give you ideas of which areas you'd most want to visit.

In the afternoon we drove round the other side of the bay, through Albany and up onto the cliffs for some lovely views overlooking King George Sound.

The two small islands are both nature reserves and one of them is called Michaelmas Island, as it was discovered on Michaelmas Day.

The second view shows the Vancouver Peninsula, part of which I think was used for quarantine purposes in the past. This peninsula almost completely encloses the Princess Royal Harbour, the water on the right of the picture.

We then headed up to the war memorial, which is just beautifully laid out and has fine views too. Well, at least an Australian Magpie seems to approve!

On the way home, another stop looking over Princess Royal Harbour and I think that's a Little Pied Cormorant flying over.

Attachments

• BF Michaelmas Island, King George Sound thread.jpg
    BF Michaelmas Island, King George Sound thread.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 21
  • BF Vancouver Peninsula thread.jpg
    BF Vancouver Peninsula thread.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Albany War Memorial thread.jpg
    BF Albany War Memorial thread.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Australian Magpie thread.jpg
    BF Australian Magpie thread.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 19
Back at home there was a collection of birds waiting to greet us.

A very handsome male Red-eared Firetail watching his son having a bath; but a Silvereye chased him out so he could soak himself.

An Australian Ringneck hogged the fence feeder keeping away a male Red-capped Parrot.... however, there was another feeder on the grass and that was were they all congregated!

Attachments

• BF Red-eared Firetail male thread.jpg
    BF Red-eared Firetail male thread.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 23
  • BF Red-eared Firetail juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Red-eared Firetail juvenile thread.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Silvereye bathing thread.jpg
    BF Silvereye bathing thread.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Australian Ringneck thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ringneck thread.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Red-capped Parrot thread.jpg
    BF Red-capped Parrot thread.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 26
Then just a couple more pictures to finish up with.

I was always pleased when I got a picture showing the pretty iridescent wing pattern on a Common Bronzewing, there was also a pair of Laughing Doves in the garden.

Then one of the Red-caps was deserted by three of his mates! There was constant comings and goings of these guys.

Attachments

• BF Common Bronzewing thread.jpg
    BF Common Bronzewing thread.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 27
  • BF Laughing Dove thread.jpg
    BF Laughing Dove thread.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Red-capped Parrot flight thread.jpg
    BF Red-capped Parrot flight thread.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 26
Then just a couple more pictures to finish up with.

I was always pleased when I got a picture showing the pretty iridescent wing pattern on a Common Bronzewing, there was also a pair of Laughing Gulls in the garden.

Then one of the Red-caps was deserted by three of his mates! There was constant comings and goings of these guys.

Another senior moment there Delia ( I know the feeling!) - Laughing Doves I think ;)

Beach, Albany, Two Peoples Bay

7 November 2019

June and I were back down to the hide early the next morning, passing an Australian Ibis in a neighbouring garden en route.

Mostly the usual species, but not all available for photographs. A White-faced Heron was about the closest to us, then an Australian Pelican flew in to join his mate, buzzing some Greenshank as he went.

Also in the bay were Grey Plover, Great Cormorant, Caspian Tern, Great Knot (not actually a Lifer but the first one in Australia and a year tick. Sadly couldn't get a picture of Greater Sand Plover, Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Black Swan, Silver Gull, Great Egret, Grey Teal, Little Pied Cormorant, an Eastern Osprey on his favourite post and Little Black Cormorant.

Walking back we heard and got glimpses of a Western Gerygone but couldn't get a picture of him either! Nor a Western Whistler and New Holland Honeyeater!! Had to make do with a Red Wattlebird on a power pole and a very attractive a Western Rosella eating some weed seeds.

Attachments

• BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 17
  • BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Pelican, Greenshank thread.jpg
    BF Pelican, Greenshank thread.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Red Wattlebird thread.jpg
    BF Red Wattlebird thread.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Western Rosella thread.jpg
    BF Western Rosella thread.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 24
We got back to the house and there was a lovely Silvereye having a bath, thought I'd let you see one of the funny ones for a change.

A Magpie tried to get into the house but sang a song when he found the door shut. Such a sweet song they have too. June relented though and came out with some titbits for him. He's the only one she feeds, apparently!

I made sure I had my phone with me after that, so I could record the song if he struck up again, but that was the only time I heard one.

I can't remember now if it was Alex or June spotted a Whistling Kite down on the beach. In order to get this picture I had to stand on a pile of garden slabs, carefully positioned so I could see past the neighbour's washing line!

In the afternoon I was taken out for a drive and I hope I keep it together as to where we went, 'cos we covered a lot of ground.

As we drove round the bay towards Albany we came across a paddock with a load of Straw-necked Ibis holding court. Half an hour later, on the other side of Albany at Seppings Pond, were another lot with some Australian Ibis.

Attachments

• BF Silvereye bath thread.jpg
    BF Silvereye bath thread.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Australian Magpie titbit thread.jpg
    BF Australian Magpie titbit thread.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 24
  • BF Wedge-tailed Eagle thread.jpg
    BF Wedge-tailed Eagle thread.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 36
  • BF Straw-necked Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Straw-necked Ibis thread.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 30
  • BF Australian & Straw-necked Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Australian & Straw-necked Ibis thread.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 22
Delia, I think your WTE on the beach is actually a Whistling Kite :flyaway:

(the tarsus are unfeathered, the head a uniform sandy colour, and the beak smaller than wte) ..... no drama as you'd already previously recorded both species as lifers earlier - among your 20 million birds seen ! :-O

P.S. the Straw-necked Ibis are the most fantastic looking birds aren't they ! In the right light the wings have a beautiful iridescent rainbow shine to them :)

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Thanks KC.....

.... and thanks too Chosun. I posted in the ID forum for a check and they agree with you, so I'll amend my post accordingly. I probably got confused when I wrote in my notebook.

Still at Seppings Pond we saw Maned Duck and Eurasian Coot foraging on the grass, while in the water was a Pacific Black Duck and the star.... a pair of Musk Ducks.

There was also an Australian Swamphen, but no picture for it.

Then moving on round the corner to Lake Seppings, we started with a lovely little Hoary Grebe.

Attachments

• BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 16
  • BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Musk Duck thread.jpg
    BF Musk Duck thread.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 31
  • BF Hoary Grebe thread.jpg
    BF Hoary Grebe thread.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 26
A good spot this lake, as we had quite a few species there, starting with this Blue-billed Duck in company with some more Hoary-headed Grebes.

The rest, I didn't actually get pictures of but the list I've made has Grey Fantail, Musk Duck, Australasian Grebe, Eurasian Coot and... what sounded like a Australian Reed Warbler; I've got a recording on my phone but don't know how to download it.

Apparently that lake is a popular spot for Carnaby's Black Cockatoo but we didn't get any!

We then continued driving round the edge of Oyster Bay up to the causeway over the King River.

First we saw an Osprey sitting in a dead tree, didn't give me a good view though, did he LOL. Out on the water was a Common Greenshank then a bit further out a large rock with Australasian Darter and Little Pied Cormorant.

An Osprey flew over, giving me my best flight shot of one yet!

We gradually picked up a few more species as we moved on to cross the river. So seen/heard along here were Brown Honeyeater, Western Whistler, Pied Oystercatcher, Red-necked Stint, Silver Gull, Australian Pelican and Australian Ibis.

Attachments

• BF Blue-billed Duck & Hoary Grebe thread.jpg
    BF Blue-billed Duck & Hoary Grebe thread.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 31
  • BF Eastern Osprey thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Osprey thread.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 21
  • BF Common Greenshank thread.jpg
    BF Common Greenshank thread.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 22
  • BF Australasian Darter & Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Darter & Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Osprey flight thread.jpg
    BF Osprey flight thread.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 27
Lovely stuff Delia - that Blue-billed Duck certainly lives up to its name! The photo of June and the magpie is delightful too! Keep it coming Lass!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back