• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scillonian Pelagic Sunday 11th August 1996 (1 Viewer)

It's a long shot but was anyone on the Scillonian Pelagic on Sunday 11th August 1996?

I've been going through my notebooks and I have a completely blank page except the date and heading 'Scillonian Pelagic'! It was a little rough with some good swells as I remember which is why I probably didn't take any notes.

If you were on and would mind sharing your highlights that would be great. Thanks, Alan

Off the top of my head, I can remember one distant Great Shearwater, an adult Sabines flew over the ship, and there were at least three Wilsons including one very close that we could look down on. When I get home I'll dig out my notes.

Right, found my log book. Highlights for me-
Shearwaters. 2 Sooty. 2 Cory's, first one very distant. 1 Great close in at the stern. Some Manx and Balearic late in the day.
Petrels. 100s of Storm around the trawlers. Minimum of two Wilson's, first was close in on the starboard side, another with flock of 30+ Storm off the stern. One may have stuck around for a bit as I remember picking one up a little while later.The Sabine's was seen around this time and lingered for a while.
One Turnstone and one Sanderling were a bit different I suppose, and we also heard Concorde's double sonic boom. Apparently there were also two Sunfish and a cetacean of some sort, but I never got onto them.
We drove down overnight so I slept for the first few hours and while I recall birds being announced at times I didn't really get started until mid morning.

Three Wilson's the highlight if my notes are correct, very little else apart from distant stuff.

I remember Concord very well of course and I still need Great Shearwater so not everyone saw that but I did see at least one Sunfish.

The Cetaceans were ID'd by those in the know as Long-finned Pilot Whales.

Last edited:
Phil, that is brilliant I remember the Sabs Gull and at least two Wilsons one very close as you said. We stayed overnight in Penzance so were wide awake from the start. I remember feeling sorry for those laid up down below with sea sickness missing just about all of it. And the double sonic boom from Concorde. Thanks again Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back