• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (3 Viewers)

Scratch the Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Larry. I was out birding with friends today on the coast when I heard a noise I didn't recognise, so I looked down from the seawall and saw a Spotted Sandpiper on the rocks, the fifth record for Iceland. Two American lifers in two days! A great day's birding was rounded off by a Gyr Falcon flying just by my house as I was dropped off.

E

Chinese Song Thrush

two weeks back at Laoshan, near Xining, in China

me n Dave Showler spent 4 days looking for one at Xiaolongmen not far from Beijing and didn't get a sniff... then mid morning while watching Kessler's, Chestnut and Eye-browed Thrushes one sat right out in the open for a good few minutes. They actually look very much like a Zoothera and you can see why they were recently split. Cracking bird.

Tim

My last life bird was Baird's Sandpiper today at Saltholme Pools, Cleveland, had my first Sooty Shearwater yesterday too, but that was quickly over taken!!

Dan

Blue Grosbeak. August 22nd, Patuxent Wildlife Research Sanctuary Maryland.
Watched at least 2 pairs of them for 15 minutes or so. Went back there today and saw a blue bird that I still don't know if it was a Grosbeak or a Bunting.

On a recent trip to western Washington (8/23, 8/24/05), I saw a couple new birds to go on my life list, the latest one being the Heermann's Gull. I also saw Sanderlings, a Western Sandpiper a Pelagic Cormorant, and a Greater Yellowlegs. I'll put the pictures I took of the Heerman's Gull and the Pelagic Cormorant in my gallery.

Last edited:
Virginia Rail at the Muck

Virginia Rail (an adult and two youngsters) last month at the "Muck" which is one of Pennsylvania's Important Bird Areas. Although they were reputed to be there, I was surprised to actually see one so easily.

:girl:
Three in past 48 hours.
The advantage of having a small one - lifers appearing on my list every other day.

Water Rail and 3 Green Sanpiper at Barons Haugh (Sunday) & 1st Kingfisher(2) this year.
Today`s lifer - at Eden Estuary (Guardbridge) with beautiful views for nearly an hour watched an adult female Merlin switching between 2 fence posts. :D
Unfortunatelty dipped on 2 lifers -Grey Plover and Curlew Sandpiper as i had to leave before the tide rose. :-C

Got 2 lifers yesterday. Black and White Warbler and Black-throated Green Warbler. Patuxent Research Refuge, Maryland.

Actually had 2 other lifers yesterday too - neither of which I could positively ID. One was an Empid. Flycatcher (good luck IDing those without a mist net or a 80x scope!), the other was either a Sedge Wren or a Winter Wren (99% sure Winter Wren).

Last edited:
Like Tammie, a Golden-crowned Kinglet Saturday. We saw a flock of about 20 on Mt Revelstoke, then saw two juveniles today in Banff. Earlier Saturday we also had Golden Eagle (brief views but up close) and Red Crossbills (a family feeding together).

White Stork near Northiam in Sussex on 8/8/05. On perusing a copy of Bird Watching magazine I dicovered that a Stork had also been seen near Rolvenden (3 miles [5km]) away almost exactly a month earlier. Now what are the chances of this being the same bird?

Pete :gn:

Hi all,
Greenish Warbler on Dursey Island last Thursday (8th). Got good views on and off for two hours, really enjoyed the bird (my 26th warbler species in Ireland, and have only seen a handful more elsewhere for now).
Regards,
Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back