• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just curiousity - feral pigeons - Edinburgh (1 Viewer)

sandy wilson

tacketyboots
Over the last 5/6 days have seen throughout every day at very regular intervals flocks of 10-20 pigeons heading roughly North West coming out of the South - I live on the Southside of Edinburgh. My question is where are they going? It, on the surface, seems like a migrating pattern, but does it represent that or is it some other behaviour pattern (like an overturned seed lorry on the Forth Bridge, say :0) )

Over the last 5/6 days have seen throughout every day at very regular intervals flocks of 10-20 pigeons heading roughly North West coming out of the South - I live on the Southside of Edinburgh. My question is where are they going? It, on the surface, seems like a migrating pattern, but does it represent that or is it some other behaviour pattern (like an overturned seed lorry on the Forth Bridge, say :0) )

There could be something like a spilled load. I think, however, it's just the usual habit of going to the fields on the outskirts of town to feed, and then returning to roost at night. Feral pigeons do the same here in Aberdeen, and the Peregrines know that they use a mainly E-W route out and W-E back. So the Peregrines often hang around at the edge of town to catch them on the way out or in. Wood Pigeons on the other hand usually go NE-SW, when they are moving in numbers, which they haven't been so far this year.

Cheers,

Feral Pigeons

Thanks Phil,

Makes sense to me what you are saying - I didn't think it could be a migratory pattern as why head North.....

regards

Sandy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back