• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

whose hanging woven nest is this? (1 Viewer)

nhawlman

This hanging woven nest resembles a Baltimore Oriole
but it is much smaller. Found in a Lilac Bush
6' off the ground.

Health and Happiness,

Nevin Hawlman
http://www.gardengrapevine.com/MysteryHangingBirdNest.html

Hello nhawlman and a warm welcome to BirdForum from those of us on staff here.

With a nest that size, I would have to think hummingbird?

hanging nest

KCFoggin said:
Hello nhawlman and a warm welcome to BirdForum from those of us on staff here.

With a nest that size, I would have to think hummingbird?

=========================
I think it's too big for a Hummer
We only have 1 species; Ruby throat
their nest looks like a knot on a limb
made with Lichens, moss, spider webs.

thanks
Nevin

I'll take a look at a book I have on N. American bird nests tonight and see if I can't figure it out. Wild guess is some variety of vireo. Barbara

I would also agree. Plant fibres and bits of bark decorating a pendant cup hanging from a forked twig are quite typical for verio. I have found a few of these only a few feet off the ground, and close to well used paths. Red-eyed verio in the one's I have been able to confirm.

Scott

Hi Nevin - turns out my book is on Western bird nests but the image that started the thread does look like a weathered version of the Verio nests in the book and also of the image you posted. Keep an out for new nests this year! Barbara

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back