• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake of the Woods, MN birding areas? (1 Viewer)

SDB777

This years trip has been planned for some fishing and some bird watching/photography in northern Minnesota at the "Lake of the Woods". The trip will take place in the June 14th-June 19th time period....

What special birds should I be on the watch for?
I have many CF cards for my Sony a350!! Just not sure if I should take the Sigma 50-500mm on this trip since I'll be spending quite a large amount of time fishing......

Any help about this area would be greatly appreciated!

Scott (can't wait to go) B

Hi Scott

I haven't been that far north in Minnesota but you should try to get hold of a copy of Kim Eckert's superb "A Birder's Guide to Minnesota". Eckert describes Lake of the Woods county as one of the best in the state. He mentions the area around Arnesen as a good place on the lake and also recommends the tamarack bogs east and west of Norris Camp game refuge headquarters in the Beltrami Island State Forest, where Connecticut Warblers (great birds) are common and reliable birds include Black-backed Woodpecker, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Boreal Chickadee and Cape May Warbler. I guess you'll see plenty of Common Loons in that area and I suspect that you'll also become very familiar with Minnesota's stae 'bird', the ravenous blood-sucking mosquito!

E

Ready for those blood suckers.....ThermaCell!

Thanks for the information, and I'll try to find that book you mentioned. No matter what, I'll be a great fishing/birding trip.....I'll be away from work.

Scott (can a mosquito be on the bird list?) B

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back