• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Test Conquest HD 8x32, 10x32, 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Thanks for posting that link, George. So it seems Jan Willem likes the Conquest HD quite a lot - that's a really good test result for a medium-priced binocular.

Hermann

BTW: I also had to use Google Translate - even though I understand Plattdeutsch no problem, Dutch is a different matter ... :) Oh well, it's a long time since the two languages split.

I was in the US Army in the same barracks with 2 men who came to the USA from Holland when they were children. One was from Rotterdam and the other from Friesland. They couldn't understand each other when they spoke their home dialects. In fact, if the guy from Friesland spoke simple sentences slowly in his own dialect we English speakers could understand much of what he said.

Bob

:-O:-O:-O:-O

We also had a guy in our barracks from Bogalusa, Louisiana. Nobody could understand him!

Bob

Well Bob he was probably a bit ashamed of the name of his home town.

In England a 'bog' is a toilet, and if you feeling a bit 'loose' it means you have been eating something that is acting like a laxative. So Bogalusa sounds like a pretty uncomfortable place to come from.

Thats probably why he left and joined the army :)

Lee

. It took me awhile to understand one of my customers in Glasgow, and another in Sunderland and a third in Swansea. in Swansea they were all having a good laugh at my expense in Welsh.
In Sunderland initially when asking directions all I could make out was the name of the pubs.
But eventually I got the hang of it.
This was quite a long time ago and I think that accents have merged in the UK.
Although if Scotland becomes independent they may well have their own language again.
they were the only place to have £100 notes issued by their own banks. In England £50 is the largest although I think there were several £1 million notes issued for interbank use.
at least if you tried to pay for something with a £1 million note nobody would have any change so you would get everything for nothing.

When translation was mentioned above I was amazed to find that there is a Klingon translator as well as even more obscure tongues.
I haven't seen many binocular tests in Klingon but you never know.

Well Bob he was probably a bit ashamed of the name of his home town.

In England a 'bog' is a toilet, and if you feeling a bit 'loose' it means you have been eating something that is acting like a laxative. So Bogalusa sounds like a pretty uncomfortable place to come from.

Thats probably why he left and joined the army :)

Lee

You will never find anyone from Bogalusa who is ashamed of being from Bogalusa, same is true for Ponchatoula or any place in southern Louisiana. A rich culture and heritage, pretty women, ice cold beer and some damn good food.

You only have to spend a little time in the boonies south of New Iberia or Chauvin to realize it is another world and they would get along fine without the rest of us.

Last edited:
You will never find anyone from Bogalusa who is ashamed of being from Bogalusa, same is true for Ponchatoula or any place in southern Louisiana. A rich culture and heritage, pretty women, ice cold beer and some damn good food.

You only have to spend a little time in the boonies south of New Iberia or Chauvin to realize it is another world and they would get along fine without the rest of us.

Put like that Perterra, sounds like a pretty darn fine place.

Lee

Put like that Perterra, sounds like a pretty darn fine place.

Lee

It is a pretty cool place, a little rough around the edges but fine people. I mean heck, any place that has drive-through daiquiri stands is prone to having a good time. Dont be thinking you gonna drink that daiquiri though, theres a piece of tape over the straw hole. 3:)

They know the fais do-do better than anyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back