• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar 8x32 focus wheel issue (1 Viewer)

devans1

Hi all

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used the Meostar over a prolonged period of time as to whether the focus wheel loosened up at all with use.

I looked through a pair recently and loved the view they gave. I really wanted to like them but there were a couple of issues that have put me off a bit.

Firstly the focus wheel was really stiff, with a lot of excess lubricant around it. I don't mind a slowish focus wheel (I have a pair of Hawke Frontier ED) but it just felt wrong, not what I was expecting at all after reading various reviews.

I also struggled a bit to find a comfortable position with them that didn't cause black spots when scanning etc. This is less of an issue as I feel that after using them for a bit I would find a position that works for me.

I could have just handled a dud pair but would be interested in hearing any views on the focus wheel issue.

Dave

I have that bino (Cabelas euro HD, but it's the same thing), and the focus did loosen up some and is now very smooth. I was having some eye relief/blackout issues too, but I monkeyed around with them enough to where I don't anymore. Needless to say, it's a world class view IMO, ergonomically fantastic, and very well made.

I have that bino (Cabelas euro HD, but it's the same thing), and the focus did loosen up some and is now very smooth. I was having some eye relief/blackout issues too, but I monkeyed around with them enough to where I don't anymore. Needless to say, it's a world class view IMO, ergonomically fantastic, and very well made.

That's good to know, I'm hoping to try another pair at some point and spend a bit of time with them. I can't fault the view through them and they felt great in my hands. I find that I don't get on with a lot of 8x30 bins due to struggling with hand position but the Meoptas were perfect.

Dave,

Unfortunately the HD/ED version of the Meopta Meostar 8x32 isn't sold in Europe currently. That HD status probably makes no difference at all to the focus at all of course but thy do sell the the 10x42 HD and that really sharpened up the view. Versions of the bigger aperture models were promised for this year but don't seem to have materialised. It looks like Meopta have ditched their previous UK distributor as well so I don't know what's going on over here, however it looks like they have booked their usual stand at BirdFair so we might learn more then.

David

It looks like Meopta have ditched their previous UK distributor as well so I don't know what's going on over here, however it looks like they have booked their usual stand at BirdFair so we might learn more then.

David

I was curious as to why Meopta haven't rolled out the HD versions over here, seeing as they've made them for Cabelas. Maybe the HD 8x32 offers very little improvement over the standard 8x32? Like I mentioned in my original post, the View through them is fantastic IMO.

If they do bring them out over here I wonder if the non-HD models would drop in price, or whether the HD versions would be much more expensive?

Out of interest, How did you find the focus wheel on the HD 10x42 model you tried?

Dave

I've tried the 8x32, 7, 8 and 10x42 and the HD and I found the focus fine as I recall. Perhaps a little firm on one or two but well within what I would call normal range. I have to say the 8x32 is an ergonomic favourite of mine.

If you like the Meopta view, you might want to check out the Vortex Viper HD if you haven't seen it already.

David

I managed to spend some time comparing the Meopta and Viper HD 8x32 at BirdFair one year. The Viper HD has an ED element and possibly slightly better CA control and on the samples I tried perhaps a little more neutral on colour but these are marginal differences and my overriding impression was the view was the same. The level of sharpness also seemed the the same, good but perhaps just behind the very best. The field curvature appeared the same. The main distinction was that they do differ in FOV. My impression is that Vortex had just reduced the field a bit to hide the fuzzy edges which are evident on Meopta. The story was one of optical similarity to my eyes.

What I liked about about the 10x42 HD was the jump in apparent resolution to the top tier. It would be nice to think something similar might potentially happen with 8x32 and make the difference in price more persuasive. I still like the Meopta ergonomics better , but the Viper HD focus was pretty good as I recall.

David

Thanks for the info David, I'm looking forward to trying them out. The warranty that Vortex offer is also very appealing.

Hopefully Meopta will shed some light on their plans for any further Meostar HD models at Birdfair, hopefully the news is positive.

Dave

Meopta Meostar focussing

Just to throw in my tuppence worth - I have the Meostar 7x50s and the focussing is fine. It is not overly stiff and is pricise.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back