• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski slc 10x56 (1 Viewer)

This may be overly simplistic, but a 56mm vs. 50mm objective will be about 25% brighter, so that difference seems not entirely unsurprising. SLCs also have higher light transmission percentage, adding another 3%.

SLCs are also 20% heavier.

In my experience (mostly with camera lenses), the correlation between weight and quality in optics is pretty strong. Takes some serious material science and engineering to fight against that tendency.

Well Batvenci, I hope you get some more input from users, as also am interested.

Have had one of the updated models (2017 production) for a few months primarily to compare to a Zeiss HT 10x54. Most of what I use them for happens in low light. Unfortunately, I don't have a 10x50SV on hand to compare, but do have other Swaro exposure, including an updated 15x56 SLC.

I don't mind holding a large bino and most often use a harness if some time is involved--such as the Cabela's "hybrid," which I think was originally a product of Crooked Horn. When climbing and using one's hands, these will keep a large bino from knocking you out.

So far, am thinking the updated 10x56 SLC is the finest low light bino I have ever used both for contrast and sharpness. No doubt an 8x56 would appear brighter, but am no longer a pup. I would give it the same nod for daytime views, if I hadn't looked through a stabilized Canon 10x42.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back