• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5000 Shutter vs Aperture Priority Modes (1 Viewer)

Skean

To All,
I do not like full manual mode after messing around a bit with it and I have seen that some folks like aperture priority mode on the camera. My question would be is it not better to use shutter priority to get the proper exposure? That would be the case on an "old style" 35mm camera. The thought being adjusting the f-stop gives you finer exposure control. So set the min speed you are comfortable with and let the camera adjust f-stop to get the best exposure. I tried it this morning and was very happy with the results (will upload a coulple of pics when I get home). I would like to know others thoughts.
skean

See image from early morning light. First no edit 2nd cropped and sharpened.

Attachments

• No Edit.jpg
    No Edit.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Edited.jpg
    Edited.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
My feeling is that generally the cameras have a much wider range of shutter speeds than they do apertures, so unless you set an extremely high shutter speed you could full well overexpose images in too much light. My preference is to set aperture at f/5.6 - f/8 and let the camera set shutter speed.
Great image BTW. Good luck!

Jerry
http://jerryjourdan.blogspot.com

I use Aperture Priority as for any given aperture the camera will find the fastest shutter speed. I usually start off with using the widest aperture taking a few shots and then gradually increase aperture - bird and light permitting.

Correct exposure is a balance of shutter speed and aperture - so it doesn't matter whether you set the shutter speed yourself (S) or aperture yourself (A). Personally I prefer to let the camera find the fastest shutter speed as in our dull climate it's sledom that having a too high shutter speed matters - even at widest aperture shutter speed is seldom above 1/125 when digiscoping with the CP4500 and 20-60x zoom..

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back