• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Approaching Hides on RSPB Reserves (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I've been to a few RSPB reserves over the years. But has anyone been to alot of the reserves with hides and the approaches to them. How do they manage the approaches so you don't disturb the birds before you get into the hides and do they have screens before you enter the hides and are the screens there well before you get into the hides.
Ian.

Yes, the hides' approaches are usually screened, one way or another. Same is generally true for hides on other, non-RSPB reserves, though I'm sure we can all think of exceptions.

Why?

Yes, the hides' approaches are usually screened, one way or another. Same is generally true for hides on other, non-RSPB reserves, though I'm sure we can all think of exceptions.

Why?

I can think of at least one wildlife trust reserve in my area,from quite a few years ago that wasn't screened. I don't whether its still like that.
The reason I asked was ive been to reserves such as Minsmere and Leighton Moss many years ago and there hides where screened and I was just wondering whether other RSPB reserves are the same. I can remember one RSPB reserve back in 1969 other than the ones I have mentioned and that one had a number of hides that where not screened.
Ian.

Last edited:
In my limited experience, most hides now seem to have screens leading up to them, but I am continually amazed how many have gravel paths. Might as well shout out "woohoo, birdies, here I come, get yourselves hidden in the reeds" as you approach!

On a similar note, but not in the UK, this photo shows the approach to one of the public hides at a site in Spain, and although it's an impressive reserve, and balancing along a boardwalk out into the water has some entertainment value (especially with two 5-year-olds!), the feeble effort to screen the boardwalk for the last 10m before the hide is almost pointless. Peeking over the reeds, you can usually see a whole host of exotic birds right in front of the hide (it's great for flamingos), but by the time you actually get to the hide itself, they are long gone!

Attachments

• ElHondo.jpg
    ElHondo.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 83
my local RSPB reserve has gaps in the walls, ostensibly so you can see if anyone is in it as you approach, but in reality the movement against the backlit walls is guaranteed to spook anything with feathers.

My local Scottish Wildlife Trust reserve did have substantial willow walls/ hedges as screens, until this winter when they decided on a programme of 'aggressive habitat management' (ie deforestation)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back