• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High Atlas; Imlil or Oukaimden (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Hello,

Does anybody have any suggestions to which area would be more suitable for the "classic" high Atlas species please? I will be heading there in 6 weeks and debating between the two. The route I'm planning on is Marrakech > Imlil > Oukaimden > Ouarzazate > Marrakech to maximize species and also to keep my non-birding partner happy!

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Oukamaiden is certainly easier as all the species are around the village and ski area.

Imlil I think you have to hike around a bit more as it is more in a valley.

Steve

Although the hotels aren't the best and are a bit pricey by rural Moroccan standards it is worth staying overnight at Oukaimaiden to be there for dawn as the birds are more numerous, closer and basically easier. There could be a lot of snow in 6 weeks time and the resort will get very busy in the daytime if so.

Levaillant's Woodpecker breed in village and worth checking out. PM for directions if interested.

One of the most reliable places for Lammergeier too.

If you are visiting Ouarzazate I thoroughly recommend the river valley area.
When I was last there I walked towards the Kasbah keeping the river area on my right.
Just before the road bends to the left you can access the area.
There are many paths leading to the river which was just a trickle when I was there.
As I was staying just behind the area I went most days.
A very impressive migration hotspot.Any birds travelling north often stop over here because there is water and plenty of inscects because of the vegetation.
Waders,Hirundines,Egrets and al sorts of othere birds were spotted during my stay.
The resevoir is not that far away.Drive east out of the town past the Kasbah.There are several roads on your right leading to it.

Hello,

Does anybody have any suggestions to which area would be more suitable for the "classic" high Atlas species please? I will be heading there in 6 weeks and debating between the two. The route I'm planning on is Marrakech > Imlil > Oukaimden > Ouarzazate > Marrakech to maximize species and also to keep my non-birding partner happy!

Thanks in advance,

Dan

I'd go for Oukaïmeden every time. There is nothing you can see at Imlil that you can't see at Oukaïmeden, and because of the coverage (and easy vehicular access to higher altitude) species such as Crimson-winged Finch are much more straightforward at Oukaïmeden. I'd go as far to say that my experience of birding at Imlil has been disappointing, and as Steve says it's more of a valley birding site (where you find yourself staring up to the higher altitudes) - whereas with Oukaïmeden you park your car at the high altitude and find Crimson-winged Finches, Horned Larks etc by the car.

Accommodation wise, Brian's spot on. It's dear at the top (Hotel Chez Juju and Hotel Courchevel) - you could try a really early morning from Marrakech? I've done that before, as well as sleeping in the car at the top (can be rather cold!).
Cheers
Rich
http://rothandb.blogspot.co.uk/

I've seen 'Maghreb' Tawny Owl in the middle of Imlil (from the hotel window); otherwise agree with the above.

Thanks very much for the replies everybody, Oukaïmeden is now high on my hit list. More of a general question, but will we be able to access petrol along this route or will we need to take a petrol canister?
Cheers!

Petrol should be fine in Ourzazate - and given that this is only 200km from Marrakech, can't see any reason why you'd have problems.

Also, regarding accommodation at Oukaimeden - the Club Alpin Francais has basic dormitory rooms, but comfortable enough. It's MUCH cheaper than the hotels at 250 Dirham, including dinner and breakfast

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back