• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (2 Viewers)

This is my Nikon picture style on my Canon 5d Mk2 . I also put it in my canon Eos M, just because I like the color and saturation it generates for my jpeg. View attachment 498781

View attachment 498782
I do know about the user defined picture styles but never really use as I always shoot in RAW. I prefer to tweak the colours/contrast/sharpening ... in photoshop.
I have used a user defined picture style but just to make sure that the in-camera jpeg histogram best represents the actual RAW file with regards to highlight clipping.

I got a bear with mine (70D 375 mm F5.6 1/640 iso-2000). I know it's not bird or much of a test of the lens. But I was glad the lens in my trunk when I saw him feeding next to the road in Sequoia National Park last week. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't used auto iso and taken it at 400 instead. I also should have used single point AF as well. Birds or bears it's never easy.

Attachments

• IMG_3915-resized.jpg
    IMG_3915-resized.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Thanks for posting the shots sgdefender72. Did you use a lens hood for these shots? There seems to be a lot of vignetting on the un-cropped versions.

BW

Steve

Thanks for posting the shots sgdefender72. Did you use a lens hood for these shots? There seems to be a lot of vignetting on the un-cropped versions.

BW

Steve
Steve, if you look on 'the digital picture' lens comparison section you will see that the corners are very poor on the Tammy 150-600. This shows up on a Full Frame whereas on a crop camera it does not matter as much of course. Mid frame and centre where it counts most it is very good according to TDP.
I will be using the Tammy on a FF Camera (5D3) for bird shots knowing all about the corner problem but I will always be cropping for composition so will be losing the corners in most cases.

EDIT: just looked again at sgdefender72 FF shots and the vignetting is very bad.

Last edited:
sgdefender72, I notice you use spot metering for everything - while spot has its uses it can be very unpredictable at times, especially when the the spot circle does not wholly cover the section that you want to spot off of. Several of these shots you have posted are well underexposed which means that you are not getting the full dynamic range of the Camera. Have you ever looked at Exposing to the right (ETTR), this is where you exposure as far to the right as you dare without blowing the highlights of your target. Typically 80% of the tones a Camera captures is contained in the brightest 20% of the histogram - if you underexpose you are missing out big time. No amount of processing will recover what you have missed by not exposing correctly in the first place. If you want to know more then just do a web search on ETTR.
P.S. Not only are you spot metering all the time but you are also dialing in Ev -2/3 every time as well which is adding to the under exposure problem. As far as EV comp goes each image should be treated on its own merit IMHO.

I do not feel you are getting the best out of the lens but at the end of the day if you are happy with the results you are getting with the lens then that's all that really matters so the very best of luck and enjoy it

Last edited:
Thank you Steve, i used lens hood all the time
Thank you Roy C, for your input again, I'm all ears since I was a newbie in birding. So any comments and advice are welcome. GBU

Sgdefender72.

I think that Roy has covered some points here for you to consider.

It would seem to me that you are new to bird photography or photography generally and before getting the best out of your equipment you are going to need to understand the basic elements of exposure, f stops, metering and the nature of light. When you have got to grips with the basics you will then (hopefully) learn what shots to take and which ones to walk away from. I can only suggest that you obtain a good book or view some of the internet sites in order to master these basics. However it does not end there because once the images are made they need to be processed and therein lies another steep learning curve. A good image can easily be ruined by bad processing. You will make many mistakes along the way and I still do. The secret is to learn from them. I wish you luck with your journey.

On FredMiranda people are saying that Tamron finally acknowledge that there is a firmware update to fix the AF related issues. So if you suspect that your copy is affected, send it back to Tamron to get the update.

On FredMiranda people are saying that Tamron finally acknowledge that there is a firmware update to fix the AF related issues. So if you suspect that your copy is affected, send it back to Tamron to get the update.

I heard back from Tamron service in NY today. They said there is a firmware update that will help with the all around focusing. I'll let you know when I get it back if it hunts less at 600 mm.

I heard back from Tamron service in NY today. They said there is a firmware update that will help with the all around focusing. I'll let you know when I get it back if it hunts less at 600 mm.
Yep, although in some area's Tamron are still denying there is a problem others are certainly saying there is a fix, will be interested in your findings when you get the lens back Chris.

Re the firmware update for the Canon fit lenses Tamron seem to be saying: This firmware update is intended for all those buyers of this lens that had them shipped before the February 8th . Any lenses that shipped after April 20th should already have the update installed
Not sure where this leaves the lenses shipped between those two dates though :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back