• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peru - Masked Trogon? (1 Viewer)

Nickk

Male and female photos taken 3 days apart in an area about 20km west of Cock-of-the-rock lodge

Attachments

• aCapture2.JPG
    aCapture2.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 13
  • aCapture1.JPG
    aCapture1.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 25
  • aCapture4.JPG
    aCapture4.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 17
  • aCapture3.JPG
    aCapture3.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 14
I wouldn't assume this was a pair of same species if the male and female were photographed seperately on different days. However, I do agree with Masked Trogons for the following reasons:

Female - obvous facial mask that Collared wouldn't have and also all yellow bill where Collared would have a black culmen.

Male - the red eyering would eliminate the Collared. The only thing I don't like is the undertail pattern on the male. It is not a real good match with the Masked but I am going to chalk that up to the amount of wear and tear on those fethers.

I wouldn't assume this was a pair of same species if the male and female were photographed seperately on different days. However, I do agree with Masked Trogons for the following reasons:

Female - obvous facial mask that Collared wouldn't have and also all yellow bill where Collared would have a black culmen.

Male - the red eyering would eliminate the Collared. The only thing I don't like is the undertail pattern on the male. It is not a real good match with the Masked but I am going to chalk that up to the amount of wear and tear on those fethers.

Entirely agree with all of this. The linked Macauley library photo is showing a black culmen for female collared which is diagnostic of that species. The OP photo shows a clear yellow bill instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back