• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Needed Identifying 'Goldfinch' Shrub like Tree (1 Viewer)

Hornchurch

'

As per title folks, I need some help please, identifying this Tree/Shrub/Tree whatever it is !

As you can prob' tell, am clueless regarding these smaller 'weaker' looking things.

Reason I'm asking is - My Goldfinch have been going 'mental' over this, all day !

Sat out the balcony this morning, for about 45mins, watching them fliting about.

They kept on, kept on going BACK to this Tree/Shrub thingy....

Pulling on these elongated 'white-feather' like things, that look to me like 'Catkins'

(I fired a wild guess, having heard the name before, went indoors & checked)

So, it appears that these 'white-feathery' things ARE 'Catkins'

Trouble is, I just haven't the faintest clue, upon which these things are growing !

I was even considering cutting it down this summer, but after today, I seriously doubt I will.

As you guys can see, it's about half (or more), tall as our house & comes up to the mid-roof.

It seems to be the complete opposite end of the spectrum, when compared to our Ash & Sycamore trees...

(As in they're strong as an Ox, tall & tough as old boots !)

Whereas THIS 'unnamed thing', seems rather weedy & straggly - Like comparing Alpha & Omega.

Baffled, so I took some pix, to help you guys give me some form of positive I.D for this "reprieved" Tree.

Also, as well as I.D, (Tree, please),

I'd like to know "why" those Goldfinch ARE pulling the 'Fluff' from the catkins ?

Please excuse my photography here, as my Canon SX.500 (Bridge), has NO viewfinder !

I've tried to 'ring-around' the catkins in Red (in only one shot), with a close-up elsewhere.

Cheers in advance, 'H.C'

Attachments

• IMG_2332 _798pixels.jpg
    IMG_2332 _798pixels.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2339 - rang in Red 798pixels.jpg
    IMG_2339 - rang in Red 798pixels.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2340 _798pixels.jpg
    IMG_2340 _798pixels.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 16
Looks like a Goat Willow, Salix caprea. The fluff is the seeds of the tree and the Goldfinch mat be either eating the seeds or using it to line nests they may be building.

Dave

Last edited:
Looks like a Goat Willow, Salix caprea.

The fluff is the seeds of the tree and the Goldfinch mat be either eating the seeds or using it to line nests they may be building.

Dave
'

Cheers Dave, many thanks mate, it's very much appreciated !

I did actually wonder as to the 'nest-building' possibility, however.....

The rather jaded-cynic in me considered that it MIGHT be a li'l "late" (?), in building a nest ?

By that, I mean to say....

I hear of birds laying-eggs AND hatching by now, May.

To both the side AND front of our balcony, we have nesting baby starlings AND Blue Tits.

Both already have their first 2020 "litters" (broods, whatever), here, prob' due to recent good-weather.

Mind you, I know bugger-all about 'Goldfinch' (other than they DON'T use my plush expensive Ritz/Astoria/Hilton boxes )

I gather they are 'open-air' nest builders ?

Just seemed a bit late to me, that's all, "if" they're only just NOW (3rd/4th May starting to build-up their nest(s) ?

Perhaps someone who's clued-in on 'Goldfinches' can chime-in, regarding their current 'MAY 2020' timing ?

Last edited:
Goldfinches nest somewhat later than a lot of other resident species, generally hatching their first brood around June and potentially having other broods until September.

Agree on Goat Willow.

Looks like a Goat Willow, Salix caprea.

Fluff is the seeds of the tree and the Goldfinch may be either eating the seeds or using it to line nests they may be building.

Dave

Goldfinches nest somewhat later than a lot of other resident species, generally hatching their first brood around June and potentially having other broods until September.

Agree on Goat Willow.
'

Many many thanks Pete/FTW, for your fine explanation regarding the later breeding of the Goldfinch variety/birds.

We DO get plenty of them around here & most thankfully, they ARE a common sight.

They were going MAD around that particular Goat-Willow tree.... and now I know why.

Between my first post & that of today, I've noticed the cold-wind caught the remnants...

That is, what was left on the G.W tree seemed to molt quite rapidly, caught on the cold East-wind.

Seems that their timing (the Goldfinch pair in question), timed it 'just right' to line their nest.

Thanks for ALL the advice given on this thread & for educating me on both tree & birds in question (it's much appreciated)

Cheers.

P.S, I've only just 'dusted-down' & gotten my 300mm VR Nikon lens ready, albeit too late |>| to catch the action.

(P.P.S ; I'd used my smaller/quicker to access Canon SX.500 bridge-camera, to take quick snaps of THAT G.W.tree)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back