Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your most anticipated futures books

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 08:51   #451
Nicola Main

Hmmm well this looks interesting!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	250323.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	729009  
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 08:58   #452
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Lord View Post
I am curious on this book in particular how comprehensive they will treat the superfamilies.
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 10:34   #453
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I am curious on this book in particular how comprehensive they will treat the superfamilies.
That is surely going to depend on how identifiable they are in flight isn't it?
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 12:16   #454
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola Main View Post
Hmmm well this looks interesting!
As I noted when I posted about it on this thread earlier (see post 401) some of Cofta's artwork (perhaps including plates from this work) can be seen at https://www.coroflot.com/TCofta/portfolio.

Here's the blurb for it - "A richly illustrated, state-of-the-art field guide for identifying European passerines in flight--the first of its kind Opening up new frontiers in birdwatching, this is the first field guide for identifying European passerines in flight, featuring more than 830 stunning color illustrations from acclaimed bird artist Tomasz Cofta, who creates remarkably lifelike images using the latest digital technology. With detailed coverage of 206 passerines and 32 near-passerine landbirds, this cutting-edge book features a seamlessly integrated approach. It combines Cofta's precise illustrations, which depict key shape and coloration features, with a range of photos for each species that show how they appear in flight. The species accounts are short, sharp, and authoritative, and essential information on individual flight manner and flock structure and behavior are represented concisely. In addition, flight calls are transliterated, briefly described, shown as sonograms, and backed up with a unique collection of more than a hundred online audio recordings. While the book is written in a style that will appeal to all birders, it also contains new knowledge on flight identification, making it a must-have for professional ornithologists and scientists as well. The first field guide to flight identification of European passerines Covers 206 passerines and 32 near-passerine landbirds Features more than 830 stunning color illustrations Includes a range of photos showing each species in flight Provides extensive information on flight calls

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 20:11   #455
John Cantelo

Lynx have started promoting a 960 pp book called "All the Birds of the World" due out in August. Anyone have any more details?

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 21:09   #456
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
Lynx have started promoting a 960 pp book called "All the Birds of the World" due out in August. Anyone have any more details?
The question is how comprehensive will it be. 960 pages are not much in comparison to the 1900 pages of the two volume HBW and BirdLife lllustrated Checklist. Maybe it is a follow-up to the Checklist.
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 09:35   #457
andyadcock

Quote:
Probably just something they've devised to wring out the last of HBW's income potential. Can't find any reference to it on their site John and it returns no search results?

This is new on me too and by my pal Des

https://www.lynxeds.com/product/bird...e-philippines/

I've got a very OCD dillema now, do I put these books together as a set or arrange them regionally like I usally do!

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 6th June 2020 at 09:52.
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 11:15   #458
Melanie

The announcement for All the Birds of the World is on the Facebook page of Lynx Edicions. But there is still no information besides the book title.
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 12:46   #459
James Jobling

Andy, I sympathise. I arrange my books regionally (e.g. fieldguides, handbooks, etc, in the various faunal regions), then by categories (etymologies, catalogues, check-lists, type species, art and artists, biographies, extinct birds, and so on), and finally by series/publisher, either in classification order (e.g. Oxford, Helm/Pica, Lynx) or number order (e.g. New Nats). My major headache is finding shelf space. I am already encroaching onto my wife's bookshelves (removing her 'stuff' to the grandchildren's bookshelves!)
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 13:35   #460
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jobling View Post
Andy, I sympathise. I arrange my books regionally (e.g. fieldguides, handbooks, etc, in the various faunal regions), then by categories (etymologies, catalogues, check-lists, type species, art and artists, biographies, extinct birds, and so on), and finally by series/publisher, either in classification order (e.g. Oxford, Helm/Pica, Lynx) or number order (e.g. New Nats). My major headache is finding shelf space. I am already encroaching onto my wife's bookshelves (removing her 'stuff' to the grandchildren's bookshelves!)
I do pretty much the same,
all Poysers together but Helms are all over the place in regions, obvioulsy Mammals, reptiles, insects etc are all in ther own groups. It's ease of finding as much as anything else.

The Lynx books will probably end up together as a set when there are more of them which won't be long at the rate they're going.

Another minor OCD niggle is that they're not using the same colour for all the covers

As regards space, the eternal foe, we've decided that the only answer is to move house which we hope to do in the near future, the downside to that is lumping quite literally, a ton of books from one house to the other!

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 6th June 2020 at 13:38.
Old Monday 8th June 2020, 09:06   #461
John Cantelo

Another interesting book is on the horizon and due to be published in August - Restoring the Wild: 60 Years of Rewilding our Skies, Woods and Waterways by Roy Dennis. Should be worth a read.

Old Monday 8th June 2020, 10:33   #462
Nicola Main

Quote:
Another interesting book is on the horizon and due to be published in August - Restoring the Wild: 60 Years of Rewilding our Skies, Woods and Waterways by Roy Dennis. Should be worth a read.
Yeah this is on my wishlist
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 20:01   #463
andreadawn
BF Supporter 2020

New book about the human and natural history of Skomer by Mike Alexander, one of the previous wardens. Sounds interesting. Due November 2020.

https://www.nhbs.com/skomer-island-book

BF Supporter 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 20:47   #464
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Cheers Andrea. That’s the Christmas present off my mother in law sorted.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 10:22   #465
Murray Lord

More info on All the Birds of the World is out at https://www.lynxeds.com/all-the-bird...ld-highlights/

Makes me wonder whether I should hold off buying their two volume illustrated checklist of mammals and just wait for the one volume version.
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 10:35   #466
Ries

Nice! Good for an overview for a dreamer that never will make it around the world but still wants to dwell in the world's ornithological beauty :)
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 14:22   #467
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Lord View Post
More info on All the Birds of the World is out at https://www.lynxeds.com/all-the-bird...ld-highlights/

Makes me wonder whether I should hold off buying their two volume illustrated checklist of mammals and just wait for the one volume version.
Just when you think that Lynx have run out of ways to make money out of the main set, they come up with this and really, what's the point of it?
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 15:36   #468
Ries

More affordable and concise? Will probably serve another market/audience, like me. I can't and won't spend a small fortune on books that give me too much info I'll never use. An overview like this to leave through suits me fine.
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 19:07   #469
CerambyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ries View Post
More affordable and concise? Will probably serve another market/audience, like me. I can't and won't spend a small fortune on books that give me too much info I'll never use. An overview like this to leave through suits me fine.
Completely agree! As much as I wanted to get the two-volume set, I just couldn't justify the price tag as for the same money I could get 7-10 other books that just would be more useful/valuable for me (mainly different insect books). But I do still want something like that on my bookshelf - just to see on paper all different birds species that I will never ever get to see in my life So this single-volume, concise edition for that price is a no-brainer for me. I believe this book will definitely have wider audience - especially among non-birders and just casual nature lovers who just do not need all that extra information that is presented in two-volumes.
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 20:29   #470
John Cantelo

Lynx now have details of 'All the Birds of the World' on their website - see https://www.lynxeds.com/all-the-bird...ld-highlights/ Tempting at 65.00€ pre-publication offer. Also good to see 'European Breeding Bird Atlas 2' listed for 'late 2020'. The 3rd Spanish Breeding Birds Atlas should also appear around then too.

Old Monday 6th July 2020, 18:14   #471
aegithalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerambyX View Post
Completely agree! As much as I wanted to get the two-volume set, I just couldn't justify the price tag as for the same money I could get 7-10 other books that just would be more useful/valuable for me (mainly different insect books). But I do still want something like that on my bookshelf - just to see on paper all different birds species that I will never ever get to see in my life So this single-volume, concise edition for that price is a no-brainer for me. I believe this book will definitely have wider audience - especially among non-birders and just casual nature lovers who just do not need all that extra information that is presented in two-volumes.
Agree completely. I even have the HBW full set, and am still looking forward to this single volume to leaf through.

Price, as mentioned, is €65, but add €10 postage (or more if you want it quicker / better tracked).

Keith

Last edited by aegithalos : Monday 6th July 2020 at 18:15. Reason: typo
Old Wednesday 8th July 2020, 07:29   #472
Melanie

Just published and just ordered

Palace of Palms by Kate Teltscher

a new book on the Kew Botanical Gardens and the world famous palm house
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 13:08   #473
Mysticete

Well...looking at the taxonomy in Oceanic Birds of the World just makes me more and more intrigued by the long in development Howell guide to Birds of North America.

I mean seriously, that book has become the "Winds of Winter" of the field guide world.
Mammal: 233 Herp: 174
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 15:30   #474
NY_Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegithalos View Post
Agree completely. I even have the HBW full set, and am still looking forward to this single volume to leaf through.

Price, as mentioned, is €65, but add €10 postage (or more if you want it quicker / better tracked).

Keith
I wonder if it is worth it. Shipping to the US still makes it fairly expensive.

I feel like it will be outdated as complete book in no time.
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 18:01   #475
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Birder View Post
I wonder if it is worth it. Shipping to the US still makes it fairly expensive.

I feel like it will be outdated as complete book in no time.
That's true of almost every fieldguide, monograph or handbook.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: