Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ?

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:13   #151
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
Huge Swaro fan here. Predicting that the well-healed and "gotta have the latest and greatest" guy/gal will probably get one. I find the price and the head rest contraption to be a joke. I've used one on the BTX spotting scope system. Looks good upon first glance, but a great way to introduce unsteadiness to your glass.
JG if it is 'a great way to introduce unsteadiness to your glass', I suggest you take your bourbon straight from the bottle.

Lee
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:15   #152
henry link

A few details buried in text and the downloadable PDF spec sheet stood out to me.

Firstly, SWAROCLEAN is conspicuously absent from the list of NL Pure coatings. Could that explain the 1% increase in light transmission compared to the SV? The number of optical elements (12 per side) hasn't changed, but we will need to see a cutaway to determine how different the optical design might be from the SV.

The 8x42 spec for AFOV (presumably measured) is about 5% lower than the simple calculation of true angular FOV multiplied by magnification, which is nearly identical to the difference seen in the 8.5x42 SV AFOV spec. While that could be explained simply by low pincushion distortion it seems more likely that it means there is a mustache distortion profile in the NL similar to the SV with a similar amount of angular magnification distortion near the field edge.

Finally, there is a discrepancy between the eye relief spec of 18mm given in the spec sheet and 20mm given in the text description. I expect 18mm is more likely correct.

As always there is plenty more to know about the performance of the NL Pure beyond its specs, such as chromatic aberration (longitudinal and lateral) and spherical aberration levels, glare resistance, etc. before it can be said to be an improvement over the SV.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:16   #153
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Swarovski is saying the headrest pad is as efficient as the IS system on the Canon's! Wow!
Some confusion here as the headrest pad is for when you get bored and nod off to sleep: IS stands for Instant Snooze you know.

Lee
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:22   #154
The BulbMogul
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmans66 View Post
Two things...

I too find it interesting that soap and brush are included as an accessory.

Second....the cost. Yes, a bit prohibitive for many. But look at the scope line they came out with. They kept the ATS line for us 'poor folks' at only $3000 US dollars w/o the $1500 tripod :-) .... but also have the ATX line that runs up to $4500 US dollars w/o that same $1500 Tripod.

Now...I have seen plenty of those set-ups in the field so know someone has the $....and can assume someone will have the $'s for this very minimal cost of a binocular.
I have that ATX 95MM Combo with the tripod so this will blend right in with the new BINS..:)

Click image for larger version

Name:	02AEAA09-9D59-48C0-A3B4-FE02DD75AE69.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	731140
Nikon 800MM FLED, Nikon 600MM FLED, Nikon 500MM FLED,Nikon 400MM 2.8 FLED Swarovski EL 12X50 ,Swarovski 10x42 EL Rangefinder, Swarovski ATX95 Spotting Scope, Nikon D6,D5 D850 Camera, Nikon 200MM F/2G ED VR2 ,Nikon AF-S FX 300MM F/2.8 G ED VR2,Nikon 120-300MM F/2.8 , Nikon 500 F/5.6 PF

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:23   #155
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBird View Post
Perhaps they quietly moved production to the land of windmills during the pandemic

The forehead-rest appears to be an optional extra. How much does it weigh? And how much will it cost?
129 Euro's or $145.00. More than some MIC binocular's. But you GOT to have it!

https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/birdin...-pure-p5598802
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:28   #156
binomaniac

Does it have the new NL PURE flat field?
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:29   #157
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymh View Post
Someone at Swarovski must be a fan of old Ross binoculars.

In the 1950s and 60s they marketed the 8x40 Spectaross with a very similar brow pad designed to allow the binocular to be used while wearing spectacles.

Gary
That is very interesting.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:33   #158
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyberboreus View Post
I do not believe that the forehead rest will solve the issue of shaking hands in the prolonged watching periods (e.g. seabird migration). The only way to cope with this issue is to use a finnstick / monopod. I hope that the new NL Pure has a threaded insert in the front of the focusing knob where you can attach a tripod mount securely (to use with a monopod) as you can in the SLC series.
It will help though especially on the 12x. The 12x42 seem's really interesting.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:40   #159
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmans66 View Post
Two things...

I too find it interesting that soap and brush are included as an accessory.

Second....the cost. Yes, a bit prohibitive for many. But look at the scope line they came out with. They kept the ATS line for us 'poor folks' at only $3000 US dollars w/o the $1500 tripod :-) .... but also have the ATX line that runs up to $4500 US dollars w/o that same $1500 Tripod.

Now...I have seen plenty of those set-ups in the field so know someone has the $....and can assume someone will have the $'s for this very minimal cost of a binocular.
When I go up to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming EVERYBODY has Swaro spotter's. You don't see one that isn't. It is amazing at their cost.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:56   #160
The BulbMogul
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
When I go up to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming EVERYBODY has Swaro spotter's. You don't see one that isn't. It is amazing at their cost.

STATUS QUO with their rose gold rolex daytona watch to boot I bet...:)
Nikon 800MM FLED, Nikon 600MM FLED, Nikon 500MM FLED,Nikon 400MM 2.8 FLED Swarovski EL 12X50 ,Swarovski 10x42 EL Rangefinder, Swarovski ATX95 Spotting Scope, Nikon D6,D5 D850 Camera, Nikon 200MM F/2G ED VR2 ,Nikon AF-S FX 300MM F/2.8 G ED VR2,Nikon 120-300MM F/2.8 , Nikon 500 F/5.6 PF

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 15:09   #161
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BulbMogul View Post
STATUS QUO with their rose gold rolex daytona watch to boot I bet...:)
It is just normal people really. A lot of people rent them and the sporting good's store's just rent Swaro's. You don't see ONE Nikon or Kowa.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 15:10   #162
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
JG if it is 'a great way to introduce unsteadiness to your glass', I suggest you take your bourbon straight from the bottle.

Lee
Ha! Good idea, but I don't drink.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 15:12   #163
ceasar

In Swarovski's new advertising it is the "N L Pure."

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birdi...10x42-p5598773

It looks, to me anyway, like a large version of the CL Companion B.

I wonder if its eyepieces have "optical box" construction like the CL Companion B?

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 1st July 2020 at 15:21.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 15:22   #164
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by temmie View Post
don't be so rude!

Suppose you are a very enthusiastic young (or old) birder having saved enough money to finally buy that Swarovision / Noctivid / SF you know you'll be using for the next 10-15 years, and this one comes out...
First of all you'll need to save some more but anyone shopping for the very best has one more contender to consider, and I think that's a good thing!
I suppose so, but I'd argue that if you are that keen c. 2000 euros would be better spent getting some field experience with a c. 500 euro pair of binoculars. Personal preference I suppose!

Quote:
I actually have been thinking about buying a new pair of binoculars for some time, not because the 7x42 T*FL is letting me down, but because the longer I have them, the less I would be willing to risk them getting lost / broken / stolen during one of my travels. At least if I have another pair, I have 50% less chance (but 50% of having a very expensive SF or NL stollen / lost or broken ).
Yeah I also thought about that, and there is a balance between getting good enough view on a once in a lifetime trip, and not wanting to risk damage/loss/theft to your top pair. A decent used 8x32 was the right balance for me.

Quote:
Happily, I can also just not buy any binocular at the moment as I have better ways of spending / investing my money! And my 7x42 T*FL cost me around 1100 euro back in the days... You can buy 2.5 of those for one of the new Swaro NLs! Expensive views so they'll better be good!
You and I both (purchasing our first house at present!), perhaps I'll just buy a second pair of FL's - if I ever have any spare money again!

@axbridge_birder
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 15:28   #165
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerdiner View Post
Have you used an EL SV for ten years so you know what it's all about?

Guessing not.
You are correct. I had an SLC for over a decade, and enjoyed over 1500 species across all four continents with it. I've not had chance to put my newly acquired FL through its paces yet (local birding only) but haven't found the edges to be an issue yet... hopefully I won't. A friend uses the SV, and I will admit it offers a stunning view for its size, but personally I just can't see such a minor improvement being worth the financial outlay, though others may disagree.

@axbridge_birder
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 15:39   #166
Binastro

For many years I have been asking for EWA binoculars to deaf ears.
Finally, something approaching EWA has arrived.
I think that now cheaper competitors will produce EWA binoculars.

I have also been asking for 12x45. I suppose a high quality 12x42 might suit.
So long as the eye relief is not excessive.
I also don't want rolling ball.

The question is whether with Covid 19 quality manufacture can be achieved together with quality back up.

I would be suspicious of any binocular made at the present time, and would prefer one year old production.

And have the technicians lost part of their skill with time at home.

If I am still around I might consider the 12x42 at a later date.
The headrest might work if fully adjustable.
And does it all work when wearing a mask.

Posting myself in a large envelope for fitting might be a problem.

Regards,
B.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 15:55   #167
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
For many years I have been asking for EWA binoculars to deaf ears.
Finally, something approaching EWA has arrived.
I think that now cheaper competitors will produce EWA binoculars.

I have also been asking for 12x45. I suppose a high quality 12x42 might suit.
So long as the eye relief is not excessive.
I also don't want rolling ball.

The question is whether with Covid 19 quality manufacture can be achieved together with quality back up.

I would be suspicious of any binocular made at the present time, and would prefer one year old production.

And have the technicians lost part of their skill with time at home.

If I am still around I might consider the 12x42 at a later date.
The headrest might work if fully adjustable.
And does it all work when wearing a mask.

Posting myself in a large envelope for fitting might be a problem.

Regards,
B.
You can't get Rolling Ball if you are in a large envelope and wearing a headrest.

Lee
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 15:59   #168
[email protected]

I have never seen a thread with this many post's in such a short period of time on Bird Forum. When Swarovski introduce's a new product it attract's a lot of attention from the birder's. You have to give it too Swarovski they are probably the leader's in optical innovation.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 16:01   #169
lmans66
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
In Swarovski's new advertising it is the "N L Pure."

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birdi...10x42-p5598773

It looks, to me anyway, like a large version of the CL Companion B.

I wonder if its eyepieces have "optical box" construction like the CL Companion B?

Bob
I see the soap and brush are not what immediately comes to mind as in a bar of 'bath soap and a wire brush :-) '.... perhaps they need to rename them

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 16:11   #170
Hermann

Quote:
Swarovski is saying the headrest pad is as efficient as the IS system on the Canon's! Wow!
They'd say that, wouldn't they? And if you believe that you'll believe anything.

Hermann
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 16:38   #171
Taxboy

From those in the know roughly when are sample copies likely to be made available to reviewers ? Trying to judge when we might see some "objective" reviews rather than press releases

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 16:40   #172
temmie

Quote:
I have never seen a thread with this many post's in such a short period of time on Bird Forum. When Swarovski introduce's a new product it attract's a lot of attention from the birder's. You have to give it too Swarovski they are probably the leader's in optical innovation.
Try the Zeiss SF topics, and count the number of posts before anyone but a few testers got to see the binocular in real life... .

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 16:42   #173
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBird View Post
Talking about cost may be a little vulgar, but 2781 is a rather shocking price.

...one shop in the UK was discounting some EL bins by hundreds of pounds yesterday ...coincidence?

... my small collection could instead be enhanced with a Kowa Highlander 32x82 for 2999
(only219 more)

Hmmm, still thinking my next aquisition will be the 7x42 Habicht
Not vulgar but realistic. How can Swarovski justify such an astronomical price? Given you can get a top-notch instrument for half the price (and a exceptional one for a quarter) I really do wonder whether they've priced themselves out of the market (or rather into a market so small it makes little economic sense). A sub-1000 instrument would have made more sense.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 17:22   #174
The BulbMogul
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:

Yes usually these is so little excitement about anything but this has everyone all fired up. This is as bad as the release and sale of the new Nikon D6 with Nikon 120-300MM F/2.8 FL ED VR SR Zoom lens.. It is and was just as fired up as this is with a heck of a lot more in cost too. People who are going to buy things like this usually just do... SWAR is a great promoter of there product for sure like Nikon..

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 17:48   #175
Kammerdiner

I just got an ad (Cornell Lab of Ornithology) for a BTX spotter with a peep sight and a forehead rest.

Could a forehead rest work at 60x??
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: