• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors. Castilla, Northern Spain. (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Could you please confirm/ refute the id of these birds for me? Pics taken yesterday
Thank you in advance!

1. Soria 2.jpg

2. 1-DSC02165.jpg

3. Mystery raptor.jpg

1- Eleonora's falcon
2- Hobby? Although there are many EFs in the area at the moment.
3- Booted eagle?

I agree with your identifications, the contrasting underwing is obvious on the Eleanora's, I think that there is the suggestion of red vent on the second for Hobby, and the overall shape and colouration looks good for a dark phase Booted eagle.

3 looks like a Marsh Harrier to me (I see only a 5 fingered hand and long tail) but I’ve had several glasses of wine :gh: (it’s probably a booted if Daniel says so!)

3 looks like a Marsh Harrier to me (I see only a 5 fingered hand and long tail) but I’ve had several glasses of wine :gh: (it’s probably a booted if Daniel says so!)

I'm as often wrong as I am right Deb, particularly when it comes to raptors!

The image isn't that clear, but I think the contrast between the paler remiges and the darker underwing coverts, with the mid-brown forewing is fairly distinctive, and the "landing lights" are just about visible at the base of the left hand wing. I suspect the 5 visible primaries are just down to moult, a bit like plate 529 in Forsman. Hopefully somebody who (unlike me!) actually knows about raptors (like Tom) can confirm.

You may have had wine, but I'm awaiting new glasses - my last eye test was 6 years ago and my optician was staggered that I was still able to see with my current prescription!

Booted...even the (mostly) diagnostic landing lights are visible

Marsh Harrier and Red Kite amongst others have ‘landing lights’ so I wouldn’t see that as ‘diagnostic. See here https://ebird.org/species/wemhar1?siteLanguage=en_GB It also, I note it seems to boast a pale patch on the chest... fwiw MH can be very variable - I love the field work of this guy https://wrightswanderings.blogspot.com/2018/02/marsh-harrier.html

Anyway, I’d already given way to the honorable gentleman ;)

Last edited:
Yes, thanks Testoduro - Booted it is - apologies to all for the doubt - agreed with the other 2 being Eleanora’s btw)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back