• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod backpack from KITE OPTICS (1 Viewer)

Still wondering if this solution would work, and not being able to go to a store (not nearby) to test it myself due to the confinement, I’m giving this thread a small bump :)
Any experience with trying to fit a scope inside this backback is welcome! (If e.g. someone has a 80-85mm scope that fits inside, my 65 will probably too.)

I've got the bag but I don'have that scope. The side pockets are approx 35cm top to bottom. Given the angled eyepiece you might just get it in non-vertical with the objective lens at the top. If you were prepared to split the body and the eyepiece then I'd guess it would fit OK. FWIW a Nikon P1000 camera fits comfortably.

Lockdown is easing so a shop visit should be possible. Given the cost of the bag and your requirements I think you really have to try before you buy.

Other comments for anyone considering this backpack:

+ve
Very well made
Well designed and thought out
Comfortable (have walked 15Km without issue)
Good space (P1000 one side, cag, drink and lunch the other)
Probably waterproof

-ve
Cost

Neutral (be aware of)
Scope is head height or above - not stealthy
Velcro leg fixing only just goes round top clamp on 4-section tripod
Antisocial if carrying with legs fully extended (but easy enough to raise/lower L&R legs whilst carrying.

Given the price and idiosyncracies . . Try before you buy!

Still wondering if this solution would work, and not being able to go to a store (not nearby) to test it myself due to the confinement, I’m giving this thread a small bump :)
Any experience with trying to fit a scope inside this backback is welcome! (If e.g. someone has a 80-85mm scope that fits inside, my 65 will probably too.)

As with other threads I haven't that bag but have 2 which are much cheaper (bought from e.bay - £35.. for a new Olivon & £30 used Lowepro) that fit the bill perfectly.

The Lowepro Flipsde 300 takes a large 85 straight scope in the bag ( along with coat, binoculars, drink etc) , with heavy duty aluminium tripod attached with dedicated straps or there is the Olivon Podtrek which takes my large scope and CF tripod (set up to use) along with drink, sandwiches and waterproof.

Here are couple pics.....
imgonline-com-ua-resize-I58OiZ0PLO.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-tKptfWQkNZF0y6.jpg

Hope that can save you £200.

However good it might be I'd have thought it'd be hard to justify getting one at such a high price given several other similar options are out there for 25-30% of the cost. Long before these devices came onto the market I made one using an old 'frame' rucksack that I used for years until the leather straps gave way. By adjusting it I made it so my weighty 'scope sat just below my shoulders which made it comfortable to us. I gave up using the replacement because (as in the photos of this version) the scope sat so high above my shoulders that the balance was all wrong making it uncomfortable. In both I also found that the bag element acted as a 'sail' in high winds so in an ideal version should be detachable (as some are). The other thing my self-made version had that I missed was a "quick release" on one of the shoulder straps which made it quick and easy to swing it off my back & into use.

Thank you for the additional info!
I will measure my scope to have already an idea whether or not it might fit, but indeed, I won’t buy it before trying.
Actually, I saw one just today in a store, but hadn’t thought about it in advance (I was there for my binoculars) and therefore didn’t have my scope with me to check |>| Stupid of me. It really looked well made, but bulky and it does weigh a bit. Of course, you cannot have top quality and large content as well as light weight...
I’m still wondering about the best solution on the bike. I might revive such a thread about that in the forum.

As with other threads I haven't that bag but have 2 which are much cheaper (bought from e.bay - £35.. for a new Olivon & £30 used Lowepro) that fit the bill perfectly.

The Lowepro Flipsde 300 takes a large 85 straight scope in the bag ( along with coat, binoculars, drink etc) , with heavy duty aluminium tripod attached with dedicated straps or there is the Olivon Podtrek which takes my large scope and CF tripod (set up to use) along with drink, sandwiches and waterproof.

View attachment 731805 View attachment 731804

Thank you for the info!
The Olivon looks a like a Scopac alternative, but with more content space. Interesting!
The Lowepro certainly seems big enough, but less handy to quickly take off the shoulders and setup, and than back on the shoulders, while I really like how simple and fast it is to use my Scopac.

View attachment 731805 View attachment 731804

I cant seem to find either of these bags in North America. Are they still available in Europe?

For those of you with experience with the Kite a few questions:

- Can you carry a tripod and scope without spreading the legs?
- Can you carry a full size scope, in my case a Pentax 85, in the pack section?
- has anyone posted a video or photos of this pack in action?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back