• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Watching Magazine - new layout (1 Viewer)

robhope

I am very impressed with the new layout of Bird Watching magazine. I always look forward to getting my copy at the end of the month but the October issue has some new sections, better maps and a generally fresher feel.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few.

I also like the new layout. I had considered stopping subscribing as the magazine was becoming quite boring, but the new style is great.
Jyothi

I liked the changes the previous editor, David Cromack made a year or two ago. When there was a new editor, I was nervous that he would make too many changes, remove parts that I really enjoyed, but neither of these things. He's kept all the good bits, and added others that I'm going to enjoy just as much. I agree with you both, it's got a good fresh feel to it.

robhope said:
I am very impressed with the new layout of Bird Watching magazine. I always look forward to getting my copy at the end of the month but the October issue has some new sections, better maps and a generally fresher feel.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few.
Could not agee with you more rob, just recieved my October issue & it's a super read.

Rod.

You lot all on a back-hander or what? ;) Excuse my cynicism while I nip out and buy one!

Actually, I have bought the last three issues and I was already reasonably impressed given how it has to cater to such a broad range of ages, experience etc.

Graham

robhope said:

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few.

I agree that the new layout looks great and I like a lot of the new features - they seem to have made an effort to become a bit more personal which I like and to express more opinions. Liked your column, Mike, if you're reading this!

My only (small) gripe is some of the little tips in boxes - always carry water with you, remember to wear layers at this variable time of year - am I the only one who thought these sounded like we were a bunch of Y7s being talked at by the teacher?

Helen

The magazine is trying to cater for kids as well, though the 'tips' would do better at the back in the begginer's section.

robhope said:

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few.
the fresher feel comes from spacing articals/photos out, any fresher and the pages will be blank. sadly its going the way of most magazines today and has little real content, i will not be renewing my sub next year. its not for me.

Hi all,

Thanks for your kind words about the October issue of Bird watching magazine. I'm really happy that most of you seem to like it.

Making any changes to what is already a very popular magazine is never easy so I was keen to keep the core values of the mag - inspiration and information - while also making it look better and increasing the interaction between the mag and our readers. The result is something the editorial team are very proud of.

I appreciate that not everyone will be happy with it, and I'll take any criticisms on the chin. Tide tables - hmmm - that's three complaints about the lack of them now; I'll have to take a look at that one.

'Beginners'' tips. I'm really keen to broaden the spectrum of the magazine and there will be beginners'/improvers' tips throughout the magazine, in panels and boxes which you can choose to read or not. The aim is that they won't be too intrusive for those people who don't want that type of information.

And Stewart, I would love a more detailed version of your post about 'spacing articles/photos out' (whatever that means)! What exactly do you mean by 'little real content'?

Please carry on posting here with your comments (good or bad!), or you can always email me at the address in the magazine. I promise I'll reply!

Best regards.

Kevin Wilmot
Editor, Bird Watching

Kevin W said:
Hi all,

..... Tide tables - hmmm - that's three complaints about the lack of them now; I'll have to take a look at that one.

Best regards.

Kevin Wilmot
Editor, Bird Watching

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback....

As one of the tide-table moaners, I'm pleased to hear that you might take a look at that.

Sure, I could (and do) look up the tables on the 'net, but your mag is always right next to my computer and it's a lot quicker and easier to just quickly flick to the mag, particularly if you are trying to look up time tables for different coastal areas involving lots of googling etc.

A few column inches well spent in my opinion.....

Rgds... Ruby

Kevin W said:
'Beginners'' tips. I'm really keen to broaden the spectrum of the magazine and there will be beginners'/improvers' tips throughout the magazine, in panels and boxes which you can choose to read or not. The aim is that they won't be too intrusive for those people who don't want that type of information.
Editor, Bird Watching

Hi, Kevin. Nice to see you reacting to your users. My comment about the tips, which was fairly flippant I admit, wasn't so much about the existence of them. I'm a relative beginner and glad to receive advice - just that some of the advice was a little bit 'Institute of the Bleeding Obvious'. For example, 'taking water with you' and 'dressing appropriately for the weather'. Maybe it's just me but I found those two a teeny bit patronising. Sorry.

Overall, tho, as I said, it's already a great magazine and I think your improvements have made it better. I really like the more personal approach and hope you'll go on trying to generate a bit of debate on subjects like twitching etc. And as a superficial Marketing type I love the layout and pics - the layout of your main competitor is v old-fashioned-looking and hard to read and it puts me off their content. Congratulations on a really professional magazine.

Helen

Kevin W said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your kind words about the October issue of Bird watching magazine. I'm really happy that most of you seem to like it.

Making any changes to what is already a very popular magazine is never easy so I was keen to keep the core values of the mag - inspiration and information - while also making it look better and increasing the interaction between the mag and our readers. The result is something the editorial team are very proud of.

I appreciate that not everyone will be happy with it, and I'll take any criticisms on the chin. Tide tables - hmmm - that's three complaints about the lack of them now; I'll have to take a look at that one.

And Stewart, I would love a more detailed version of your post about 'spacing articles/photos out' (whatever that means)! What exactly do you mean by 'little real content'?

Please carry on posting here with your comments (good or bad!), or you can always email me at the address in the magazine. I promise I'll reply!

Best regards.

Kevin Wilmot
Editor, Bird Watching
hi kevin. with regards to spacing out. thumbing through this months copy of [birdwatching] there are large areas of white unprinted page/oversize margins etc, far to much, page after page even pointlessly oversize photos. it smacks of padding out,also i do not need to know what the birdwatching team would spend £5000 pounds on , nor do i need 70 mini photos on page 89, i could go on and on. the whole magazine could be printed on half the pages. its title suggests its a birdwatching magazine ? as to little real content. there are to many small articals, again spaced out, nothing to get your teeth into, for me sadly it is now a 5 minute read hardly worth picking up again. time i think to move to birdwatch, as i said. its not now for me , a few years ago maybe. i will not be renewing the sub. p.s. can you ask the printers not to cut the mag at an angle please [last months]. regards stuart.

have to confess,the only reason why i choose birdwatching over that other one is regular sightings reports from breydon.

that whole area fascinates me,suprising as i hardly ever go there!

the go birding walks section is a major plus as well :t:

having a pair of free leica ultravids hermetically sealed to the front cover of the october edition would sure result in some encouraging comments here ;)

just an idea?

matt

Thank you for elucidating on your first post Stuart. I fear you are a lost reader - always a danger when you change a magazine. Thankfully, there seem to be many more who prefer the new layout and content.

Best regards.

Kevin

I'm sitting on the fence regarding new magazine format - some good some bad - definitely that £5000 waste of a page was dreadful! Good to have some longer articles.
Re; tide tables - the BBC web, and most other tide tables on the net, only do 7 days in advance so the "full month" tide times published well in advance of the month is much more use for planning where to go and which weekend! especially in conjunction with birdwatching's "where to go" section.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back