Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cookies and 'found Tracking cookie' What are these?

Old Saturday 31st January 2009, 17:30   #1
Peewit
Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover

Cookies and 'found Tracking cookie' What are these?

Hi there

Could someone put my mind at ease here with this strange thing going on with my PC at the moment.

I have been having an assortment of problems on my PC. our PC is split into two areas myself and my other half using our e-mails. We have Vista, and Firefox.

We had a few issues with e-mails (sending and receiving) Now it has got a bit more technical with lose of 'iespeller' and 'Adobe flash 'not working at all. Now I cannot play arcade games at the moment.

I ran the AVG checker, and I had a list of warnings stating that there is a problems. I am assuming a problem like a warning is not so serious as a straight upfront Virus.
All the information has been moved into the virus Vault at the moment.

All of the files noted have 'found Tracking cookie' with a name after that does not make sense.
could someone please tell me what is a 'found Tracking Cookie' is? How do I stop this malious warning from carrying on the way it is at the moment.

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Peewit : Saturday 31st January 2009 at 17:35.

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 31st January 2009, 19:22   #2
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Here you go Kathy, C&P from wiki
'HTTP cookies', more commonly referred to as Web cookies, tracking cookies or just cookies, are parcels of text sent by a server to a Web client (usually a browser) and then sent back unchanged by the client each time it accesses that server. HTTP cookies are used for authenticating, session tracking (state maintenance), and maintaining specific information about users, such as site preferences or the contents of their electronic shopping carts. The term "cookie" is derived from "magic cookie," a well-known concept in UNIX computing which inspired both the idea and the name of HTTP cookies.
Because they can be used for tracking browsing behavior, cookies have been of concern for Internet privacy. As a result, they have been subject to legislation in various countries such as the United States, as well as the European Union. Cookies have also been criticized because the identification of users they provide is not always accurate and because they could potentially be a target of network attackers. Some alternatives to cookies exist, but each has its own uses, advantages, and drawbacks.
Cookies are also subject to a number of misconceptions, mostly based on the erroneous notion that they are computer programs. In fact, cookies are simple pieces of data unable to perform any operation by themselves. In particular, they are neither spyware nor viruses, although cookies from certain sites are described as spyware by many anti-spyware products because they allow users to be tracked when they visit various sites.
Most modern browsers allow users to decide whether to accept cookies, but rejection makes some websites unusable. For example, shopping carts implemented using cookies do not work if cookies are rejected.
Hope this helps

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 31st January 2009, 20:04   #3
Peewit

Smile

hi Keith

Thankyou for your help, Keith. It is greatly appreciated.

That places a better preceptive on what I am dealing with. My AVG does not like the mentioned 'tracking' so that was why I was concerned about it.

One thing mentioned from the Wiki site is the thought of being tracked down by anyone, so I hope this is not the case.
How secure is someones private life, on any sites that they visit? Love to know if we are safe in what we do on the internet at all anymore.

I have often wondered how easy it is for people to track you down on your PC, if they manage to get some details on you, that allow this to happen.

I will sweep this thought aside and I hope that it goes away into oblivion.

All I know is I delete all my internet cookies when I log off so that should be good enough to get rid of them I think.
Have cleared some more out with the defrag program too on a regular basis.

Last edited by Peewit : Saturday 31st January 2009 at 20:15.

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 31st January 2009, 20:14   #4
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

I too dump all cookies at the end of each session.
You are doing it right by using Firefox rather than Internet Explorer as your browser...it's much more secure.
My antivirus comes up with the same cookies on every scan.... one for Birdforum, and the other two for Optical sites I use for my job.... I keep telling the AV that they are okay sites but it doesn't believe me. Sometimes software is so stupid!
Stay safe

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 1st February 2009, 11:33   #5
Peewit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson View Post
I too dump all cookies at the end of each session.
You are doing it right by using Firefox rather than Internet Explorer as your browser...it's much more secure.
My antivirus comes up with the same cookies on every scan.... one for Birdforum, and the other two for Optical sites I use for my job.... I keep telling the AV that they are okay sites but it doesn't believe me. Sometimes software is so stupid!
Stay safe
Hi Keith

I know what you mean about the Cookies, and using Firefox. It is safer.
I delete cookies using 'delete temp interent files' as it saves the bother of logging off the Forum. I never remember what forums I am logged on so it saves the bother of doing them individually.
Like you say, Keith, we try to keep our PC's happy and sometimes they always seen to create unwanted hassle for us - whether it be the PC or people problems. Being safe on the internet is of prime importance.

I use quite a few Forums, and I have had no problems at all with my virusware/Firefox until recently. For some reason I am not able to delete the cookies at the moment, except by using the clean disk program (has a box I can tick to do this one thing only) A bit of a guddle but it does work as an alternative function.

We have decided to get our local PC man (stays 5 mins from where we stay) in first thing tomorrow, to have a look into a couple of things mentioned on this thread, and see if we can sort them all out.
There is quite a list at the moment so all will be sorted tomorrow. Better killing off all the problems before they get any worse. I will take note of what is done so it is a learning curb too. OH relies on me to all the administration work on the PC as he trusts me enough to do it.

I have kept my 'Tracking Cookies' on lists in the Virus Vault on AVG so PC man can see what they are.

The 'Tracking cookies' as they stand, they are still appearing today in our AVG Virus Vault. Will be so glad when all is sorted.

Last edited by Peewit : Sunday 1st February 2009 at 12:45.

Old Sunday 1st February 2009, 13:10   #6
Howard_Hopkinso
Malware Removal

So called tracking cookies are in no way dangerous and are nothing more than small text file that are stored on your computer when you visit a site.

One of the biggest reasons for AV and AS programmes to find and display tracking cookies, is merely to make the user think the programme is doing a good job, when in reality, it is doing no such thing.

You can block any cookies you so wish in your browser very easily.

http://www.addedbytes.com/blog/are-cookies-dangerous/
Old Sunday 1st February 2009, 14:12   #7
Kentbloke
Ah, yes, well

If you're using Firefox then you can choose which cookies get in and which get blocked. Go to: tools>options>privacy> then in the 'cookies' box click on the 'keep until' drop down menu and select 'ask me every time', you'll then get a prompt on each site you visit. When the prompt appears click on either: 'accept', 'accept for this session' or 'deny' and tick the box in the top left hand corner so that the next time you visit the site you wont have to repeat these steps.

If you accidentally click 'deny' on a site that requires cookies (banks, forums etc) then go into the 'Exceptions' menu and either highlight the cookie from the list and click 'remove' or if you cant find it in the list simply click 'remove all'. If you use the last step you'll have start over again!

ps* If you use the 'ask me' option then you should start a fresh and empty the cookie cache with the 'remove all' option mentioned above

Last edited by Kentbloke : Sunday 1st February 2009 at 22:07.
Old Monday 9th February 2009, 12:05   #8
Peewit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard_Hopkinso View Post
So called tracking cookies are in no way dangerous and are nothing more than small text file that are stored on your computer when you visit a site.

One of the biggest reasons for AV and AS programmes to find and display tracking cookies, is merely to make the user think the programme is doing a good job, when in reality, it is doing no such thing.

You can block any cookies you so wish in your browser very easily.

http://www.addedbytes.com/blog/are-cookies-dangerous/
Hi Howard

Thank you very much for your assistance on my thread. I am glad that the 'Tracking Cookies' are no problems so that has heped matters no end.
I have started to block my cookies already so it helps keep things a bit tidier in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentbloke View Post
If you're using Firefox then you can choose which cookies get in and which get blocked. Go to: tools>options>privacy> then in the 'cookies' box click on the 'keep until' drop down menu and select 'ask me every time', you'll then get a prompt on each site you visit. When the prompt appears click on either: 'accept', 'accept for this session' or 'deny' and tick the box in the top left hand corner so that the next time you visit the site you wont have to repeat these steps.

If you accidentally click 'deny' on a site that requires cookies (banks, forums etc) then go into the 'Exceptions' menu and either highlight the cookie from the list and click 'remove' or if you cant find it in the list simply click 'remove all'. If you use the last step you'll have start over again!

ps* If you use the 'ask me' option then you should start a fresh and empty the cookie cache with the 'remove all' option mentioned above

Hi Kentbloke

Again, thank for your reply to my post. The list of instructions for the cookies where the needed application, and now they are in my control once more.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: