• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orchid ID Chile please (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

this orchid I saw in Cayon de Maipo in east of Santiago.
Altitude was about 1.900 m.

Any idea ?

Best regards
Dieter

Attachments

• Orchid 1.jpg
    Orchid 1.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 94
Hello albatross02,
although I must admit my ignorance in regards to bothanics, I will check my literature to see if I find something like this. My wife is also fond of native plants, so she could give me some hint.

You may also check following page yourself: http://www.chilebosque.cl/ It has a very comprehensive database of native species, most of them with photos and detailed description.

I will risk one more suggestion (sorry if mistaken): could this be an Alstroemeria instead of an orchid?

Hello,
according to a botanist friend of mine, it is a Chloraea disoides Lindl. var. picta (Kraenzl.).

Regards.

Hello Erik,

thank You for the help.

How is Valdivia, there should be nice forests there ?
I like forest with lots of big ferns, is it possible to find them in Chile too ?

Best regards
Dieter

Hello,
in fact, Valdivia is not only a very nice place to visit, but it gives the name to one of our most typical and worldwide known Chilean landscapes, the "Valdivian rainforest", which was once spread all over the South of the country and today, although seriously diminished, reaches up to the Chiloé region. While extremely varied both in flora and fauna, its most characteristic species belong to the "Nothofagus" genus, the so called southern beeches.
There are some areas to the North of the land where such kind of forest can also be seen. As far as I know, the "Fray Jorge" National Park, roughly 300 km Northwest of Santiago, represents the northernmost patch of Valdivian rainforest. But if you want to know the real thing with all its rich biodiversity, Valdivia is certainly the right choice.

Hi Dieter,
Thanks Willito for the information. Here just a few kilometers out of Valdivia we have amazing patches of valdivian forest with trees covered in Hymenophyllums (small ferns used as bioindicators) andbryophytes (mosses and liver worts). But not only small ferns can be found, also big Blechnum chilense and Lophosoria quadripinnata, truely magnificent. It feels like you are in a tropical rain forest, except that its a lot colder. The amount of biodiversity in these forests is amazing.

Here is a link with photos of mostly species found in the valdivian forest http://www.flickr.com/photos/huenchecal/

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back