• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teleconverter question. (1 Viewer)

stevo

Hi all.

I`ve just bought a sigma 300mm 2.8 lens(prime)& am wondering which tc will give me the best images?I ask because I used a Kenko 1.4 pro dgx tc & found the contrast went right down.

Cheers.

Steve.:t:

Steve

I have never used a Kenko 1.4X dgx tc on my Sigma 300f2.8 EX. However, if I did, I would not expect the contrast to go down significantly as you describe. Art Morris has used this converter on his 800mm lens and he was very pleased with its performance using a full frame camera, as I recall.

If there is a significant drop in contrast then I suggest there are other factors at play that will need investigating.

It may help if you show us an image preferably leaving the Exif data in tact and a detailed description of the conditions under which the image/s were taken.

Attached is an image of a collared Dove using Sigma 1.4X EG converter. I shoot in jpeg with the contrast setting set on low. I have not increased contrast or adjusted levels in photoshop. I have cropped the image by 50% by sideways cropping and flipping over to landscape mode.
The image of the Blackcap is taken using a Canon 2X MkIII converter. The image is full frame...again I have made no contrast or levels adjustments.

Attachments

• Peterborough birds Aug-September 2013 A.Dancy CR 136a.jpg
    Peterborough birds Aug-September 2013 A.Dancy CR 136a.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Peterborough birds May 2013 . A.Dancy CR No2 057a.jpg
    Peterborough birds May 2013 . A.Dancy CR No2 057a.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 118
Thanks for posting on this its appreciated,tomorrow i`m hoping to go out again & have another play.I did consider getting a sigma 1.4tc but have decided for the time being to spend more time with kenko tc.Great images btw.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back