• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOP ID, N. Sweden (1 Viewer)

tarzzz

Sweden
Hello.

I think one of the two birds is a Hooded Crow, but the other one ???

They were together with an adult White-tailed Eagle, but it got too long tail to be a juvenile WTE ?

Thanks

surfan

Attachments

• janåke1_200619.jpg
    janåke1_200619.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 174
  • janåke2_200619.jpg
    janåke2_200619.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 153
  • janåke3_200619.jpg
    janåke3_200619.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 86
Agree it is a harrier species, wing shape and primaries are not consistent with a large eagle even with the evident moult. Also the size comparison to the Hoodie.

A Bonelli's Eagle in N. Sweden would be a bit special wouldn't it? ;)
I suspect he was thinking of the two satellite-tagged French individuals that took a tour through Europe, at least one of them made it to Denmark.

Of course, as already pointed out, Bonelli's Eagle is a much heftier bird, and a WTE makes any harassing crow look like a sparrow. Even buzzards look puny when they chase after a WTE.

Do you think it's likely that they were the same bird/s Surfan?

Yes, it's likely. The bird above was seen by a friend.

"My" bird looked like these photos.

Attachments

• brunhök_200619_1.jpg
    brunhök_200619_1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 20
  • brunhök_200619_2.jpg
    brunhök_200619_2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 19
  • brunhök_200619_5.jpg
    brunhök_200619_5.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 12
  • brunhök_200619_7.jpg
    brunhök_200619_7.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 6
  • brunhök_200619_9.jpg
    brunhök_200619_9.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 11
I suspect he was thinking of the two satellite-tagged French individuals that took a tour through Europe, at least one of them made it to Denmark.

Of course, as already pointed out, Bonelli's Eagle is a much heftier bird, and a WTE makes any harassing crow look like a sparrow. Even buzzards look puny when they chase after a WTE.

I was somewhat blinded by the cosmetics, ie no contrasting black primaries and what appears to be a darkish tail band in two of the shots, which overruled the structure which is quite obviously harrier. Interestingly I had on two separate dates in March (grdn.1st), overflying male Marsh Harriers which were ID’d on size and shape (also both having the requisite black primaries)...a lot easier in the field and imaged to boot! According to Collins, they show males as having a slightly darker tail band with females being without, thus I’m unsure of the sex of this bird?
Quite right Sangahyando....I was thinking of the Danish Bonelli’s. :t:

I was somewhat blinded by the cosmetics, ie no contrasting black primaries and what appears to be a darkish tail band in two of the shots, which overruled the structure which is quite obviously harrier. Interestingly I had on two separate dates in March (grdn.1st), overflying male Marsh Harriers which were ID’d on size and shape (also both having the requisite black primaries)...a lot easier in the field and imaged to boot! According to Collins, they show males as having a slightly darker tail band with females being without, thus I’m unsure of the sex of this bird?
Quite right Sangahyando....I was thinking of the Danish Bonelli’s. :t:

But "my" bird is a Marsh Harrier ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back