Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Status of Great Grey Shrike

Old Sunday 28th June 2020, 15:07   #1
Gonçalo Elias

Status of Great Grey Shrike

Does anyone know what is the status of Gret Grey Shrike in mainland Spain?

(I mean excubitor, not meridionalis)
Old Monday 29th June 2020, 12:23   #2
Graham Moffat

Lanius excubitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonçalo Elias View Post
Does anyone know what is the status of Great Grey Shrike in mainland Spain?

(I mean excubitor, not meridionalis)
Hi Gonçalo
You have probably have seen the entry on Lanius excubitor in Birds of the Iberian Peninsula (2015) de Juana and Garcia pp 551-552 and are looking for more recent information?
Best wishes
Graham
Old Monday 29th June 2020, 16:00   #3
honeym

Where it states "Apparently a very scarce winter visitor to northernmost Spain".
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 11:26   #4
Gonçalo Elias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Moffat View Post
Hi Gonçalo
You have probably have seen the entry on Lanius excubitor in Birds of the Iberian Peninsula (2015) de Juana and Garcia pp 551-552 and are looking for more recent information?
Best wishes
Graham
Hi Graham,

I don't have that book you mention.

As far I know there there is a valid record in Navarra from 2010, is that the same one?

The purpose of my question is because I am trying to understand the likelyhood of some individuals reaching my home country, Portugal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Where it states "Apparently a very scarce winter visitor to northernmost Spain".
Is that from the same book? If yes, I wonder how many records were used to reach the conclusion that it is "scarce winter visitor".
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 11:53   #5
John Cantelo

Helm's 'Birds of Spain' (3rd edition 2016) states under Great Grey Shrike that "Status uncertain but probably a scarce winter visitor to the N(orth)". As you will be aware the species was poorly covered in field guides into the 1990s and even then until Iberian Grey Shrike was 'split' few people bothered to be precise about which "Great Grey Shrike" they saw. I imagine past records are too muddied by these considerations to draw any conclusion from them whilst that the status still remains 'uncertain' suggests they're very scarce or even rare. It's probably worth checking the Rare Birds in Spain website for confirmed records.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 16:01   #6
Graham Moffat

Lanius excubitor in Spain

Hi Goncalo
Yes, the first accepted record (after the split) seems to be 9 December 2010 in Navarra as you say, but there have been quite a few others from August through to April but with most birds [92%] seen Oct - Feb: October c16 records; November c11; December c12; January c19; February c10 and March c4. The records range from Galicia, Asturias, Catalonia, Comunidad Valenciana and the Balearics (Cabrera). Most records are from the Biscay coastal areas. I think some of these records must be from before the split though, since some extend back to the 1990s when presumably they were identified as northern race birds. No records given for Portugal - yet!
Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Graham
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 16:03   #7
Graham Moffat

Lanius excubitor in Spain

...sorry, meant to say yes, the book summarises status as "Apparently a very scarce winter visitor to northernmost Spain"

BW Graham
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 12:38   #8
Gonçalo Elias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
As you will be aware the species was poorly covered in field guides into the 1990s and even then until Iberian Grey Shrike was 'split' few people bothered to be precise about which "Great Grey Shrike" they saw.
True. Same with Iberian Chiffchaff, btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Moffat View Post
Hi Goncalo
Yes, the first accepted record (after the split) seems to be 9 December 2010 in Navarra as you say, but there have been quite a few others from August through to April but with most birds [92%] seen Oct - Feb: October c16 records; November c11; December c12; January c19; February c10 and March c4. The records range from Galicia, Asturias, Catalonia, Comunidad Valenciana and the Balearics (Cabrera). Most records are from the Biscay coastal areas. I think some of these records must be from before the split though, since some extend back to the 1990s when presumably they were identified as northern race birds. No records given for Portugal - yet!
Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Graham
Yes, for those older records I'd say it's impossible to know which (sub)species was involved. Indeed no records for Portugal so far, maybe one day.

Thanks all for your help.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: