• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another walkabout the lanes! (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
As the weather was fine I decided to go for a good long walk today, didn't really have a set route so decided to follow my nose and see where I ended up!!

After about two miles out of the village and still not seen anything of note I noticed I was heading towards part of the local area that is quite heavily wooded, in the past there has been buzzards regularly sighted around the larger woody areas so tried to find a good vantage point where I could see
as much of the horizon as possible - and stop for a much needed current bun break ;)

Surprisingly, only after a short while I noticed a large bird circling above a farm.I continued to watch the bird but could not confirm a positive ID as it was very high and far off.A quick look at the map to find somewhere a bit more promising and a small black and orange beetle lands on my rucksack!
I managed to get the pic by pointing the camera down the objective end of my binoculars! As I place the little fella in the hedge I decide to make my way back across some unexplored footpaths - and promptly get lost!, well not 'really' lost but a bit further away from my intended direction than anticipated LOL.

Soon find my way back to familiar territory and after stoping for yet another current bun and a drink I start to make my way home.As I walk across a field
I hear a familiar chattering sound? I look up and see a lone house martin hunting over a farmyard, the highlight of the day!!

My last notable sighting of the day was seen while passing through a small wood, as I bend down to take a picture of some early bluebells (genuine bluebells ;) ) I realize the batteries have ran out in the camera :-C

And thats about it!, my walk of eight hours and ten miles produced plenty of common farmland birds, a surprising amount of roe deer and hare's and one pipistrelle..oh and one house martin!

Matt

Attachments

• mattspics 149 (Custom).jpg
    mattspics 149 (Custom).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 32
  • mattspics 156 (Custom).jpg
    mattspics 156 (Custom).jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 25
  • mattspics 141 (Custom).jpg
    mattspics 141 (Custom).jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 21
  • mattspics 140 (Custom).jpg
    mattspics 140 (Custom).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 21
  • mattspics 138 (Custom).jpg
    mattspics 138 (Custom).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 28
Lovely Matt, like the 'views' of your patch and what a clever photo that first one is. You had much clearer skies there today than we did here, there was variable cloud from mid morning on and when the sun disappeared, it felt quite chilly.

Glad that you had a great day.

Lovely pics Matt. I really like the first one two ~ unusual, and the cowslips are always a favourite of mine. Sounds as if you had a nice walk and well done on the house martin.

Best wishes

Sounds like you had a good walk Matt, and got some lovely photos too. I love the Cowslips, shame you didn't get the Bluebells, you'll have to carry some spare batteries Matt!!
All the Best,

Sounds good! That House Martin could be one of ours on the way up here! (fingers crossed.) Do you know what that little beetle is? That picture of it is really interesting.

A lovely report of a nice walk Matt and some lovely pics too! :t:
Your patch is as flat as mine!! ;)
Hope you've saved some hot X buns for today? lol!
Best wishes,

Sounds like you had a great day out Matt :t: I must try it sometime.

Could that beetle be a Sexton (or sextant?) Beetle? I think I have the name right...you know, those ones that bury dead animals and stuff.

My mate once had one of those beetles land on him during a bike ride. Completely freaked out as it was crawling with mites. It was quite a big one and it made a strange chirping sound.
On the subject of bike rides, today's local ride produced 3 red kites and 2 buzzards all at the same time. Had to stop and watch them for a while.

Hi Matt,
A Lovely set of pics, they capture a lovely veiw of the area.
Well done with the House Martin, what a great Easter treat!

An enjoyable read there Matt, but how can you walk for 8 hours and 10 miles on 2 Hot X buns and a drink! :eek!: ...I would be passing out :-O

Sounds and looks a great place to walk Matt, thanks for sharing :clap:

Gill Osborne said:
Sounds like you had a great day out Matt :t: I must try it sometime.

Could that beetle be a Sexton (or sextant?) Beetle? I think I have the name right...you know, those ones that bury dead animals and stuff.

Thanks for the comments all

Regarding the bug, I have seen these once before (mostly among nettles) but can't seem to find it in the book.Not a very big critter, only about 1 1/2 cm in length!

Matt

chris3871 said:
Sounds good! That House Martin could be one of ours on the way up here! (fingers crossed.) Do you know what that little beetle is? That picture of it is really interesting.

Hi Chris

I've just learnt that the beetle is a 'sap beetle', apparently a bit of a rogue as far as gardeners are concerned ;)

The photo does demonstrate a rather usefull secondry fuction of binoculars, if ever you are out and about and want to take a close look at in insect or flower, simply place the occular lense close to your object of interest and look down the objective end.Your fellow birders might think you've finally gone nutts but it does work LOL

Matt

Hi Matt,

I've just come to this thread and I must say that I'm exhausted just reading about it! Sounds as though it was worth the effort but all the same.......

Wouldn't have known what the Beetle was. As far as I can see nobody's mentioned the final photo, what is it?

Bill.

bill moss said:
Hi Matt,

I've just come to this thread and I must say that I'm exhausted just reading about it! Sounds as though it was worth the effort but all the same.......

Wouldn't have known what the Beetle was. As far as I can see nobody's mentioned the final photo, what is it?

Bill.

Hello Bill, hope you've got your breath back LOL

The small flower in the last pic I believe is whats known as a 'horsetail', not a
flower of extreme beauty but interesting none the less.My example seems to be in flower?

http://www.flowerpower.net/horsetail/

Matt

Last edited:
Hi Matt,

Thanks, I would never have found that one as it isn't in Keeble Martin nor in my other Wildflower book.

Strange looking thing ain't it. From the website it sounds typical of the stuff that was used in olden times as folk cures, makes you wonder why some of the modern drug companies don't investigate.

Bill.

Sounds like you had a good, if exhausting time, Matt, and I enjoyed the pics too.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back