• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Tailed Hawk? Chile (1 Viewer)

DGRW

This relates to a bird that I saw in Chile two years ago and that I've never been able to identify despite having spoken to several "world birders" about it already.

I know that it isn't ideal to try to ID this two years down the line but here goes and who knows.

Location - Chile - Just outside Santiago - on Cerro Plomo at around 15,000ft.

Habitat - High arid mountain dessert.

Description - Very much like a Red Tailed Hawk in size and colouration, mainly brown/buff mottled, slightly streaked body but it appeared to have distinctly very dark brown to almost slate grey head and wing coverts with a quite vivid russet (almost red) rump and tail as well as notably rich russet inner underwings (close to body).

No notable banding remembered on either tail or wings.

No notable head features remembered other than very dark crown down to eye level, smallish hawk-like beak (Dark Grey/black) no noticeable coloured Lores.

The bird flew past us at approx. 20 yds range several times in the space of an hour, often slightly below us on the mountainside but was only seen on one day throughout ten days in that area. Local guides could not identify it beyond "Eagle" but I've found many local guides for whom all large raptors are "Eagle".

The closet that I've found to it in two years of looking is Red Tailed Hawk but unless I'm mistaken this bird was very far from the Red Tailed Hawks usual North American Range.

Whilst this range discrepency does not rule out Red Tailed Hawk, and whilst this particular bird certainly seemed very "bright" for a Red Tailed Hawk, especially the very vivid russet/red areas (not least the vivid russet underwing) and the contrast between dark head and wing coverts against much paler buff underside; I would be very interested to know if anyone has other suggestions based on their knowledge of Red Tailed Hawks, other South American Hawks or other experience.

Thanks.

Never been to Chile and never seen one myself and not sure whether they occur in the area you were, but have you considered Rufous-tailed Hawk (Buteo ventralis)

Thanks for that Mark -

Yes, Rufous Tailed Hawk is a strong probability and the distribution fits the scenario much better than Red Tailed.

It's the clearly visible Russet underwing that doesn't seem to fit and that was one of the birds more distinguishing and outstanding features.

Also: the colour definition seemed to be more contrasting between upper body, back and underside; more like a peregrin in colour definition but obviously a completely different shape (Hawk/small Eagle - not Falcon).

It was a very brightly and distinctly "fancy" coloured bird for a hawk.

Maybe the altitude was getting to me.

Thanks again.

I don't think you should rule out your first ID. I have visited Chile, Argentina and the Falklands and have puzzled on any number of red-tailed hawks The red-tailed hawk is also known as variable hawk and Enrico Cuve's photo in his excellent Birds of Patagonia etc shows russet colours in the areas mentioned. I have also posted two very distant shots of birds in the Falklands if it might help you

Attachments

• Variable Hawk2.jpg
    Variable Hawk2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Variable Hawk1.jpg
    Variable Hawk1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 80
The red-tailed hawk is also known as variable hawk

Are you confusing Red-backed Hawk, which is sometimes lumped with Puna Hawk and called Variable Hawk? As far as I am aware adult Variable Hawks always have a white tail with a black subterminal bar and immatures have a grey barred tail, but never red tails.

Yes, Rufous Tailed Hawk is a strong probability and the distribution fits the scenario much better than Red Tailed.

DGRW - Just one thing to note, Rufous-tailed Hawk is probably the most rarely seen of the "Southern Cone" endemics and although they must be around somewhere they are VERY rarely seen. I haven't done a Google search but can't recall ever even seeing a photo of one! Now off to check...

Good birding, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back