Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Baltic States in August

Old Monday 24th April 2017, 19:17   #1
stefano t63

Baltic States in August

Hi all,

I will spend a couple of weeks in mid August in Baltic States, possibly visiting all the three states (and capitals).
It will be a family holiday and admittedly not the best period for BW, however some suggestions about where to go to find some migration would be very welcome. Aming the residents, Hazel Grouse would be great but I think hard in August.

Thank you in advance
Stefano
Old Monday 24th April 2017, 19:22   #2
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

August can still be very good for general birding in the Baltic States and, as you mention, some return migration is already underway, especially at fish pools, etc, where waders can be abundant if water levels are right, plus Black Storks, egrets, etc.

Hazel Grouse is probably no harder in August than in any other season, bar perhaps winter when tracks inthe snow can help identify areas where they are active.

If you get in touch with me when you have an approximate itinerary, I can point you to localities that are of interest, especially so in Lithuania, but also pointers for the other two Baltic States too.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 26th April 2017, 20:13   #3
stefano t63

Many thanks Jos for your reply,

the itinerary is still vague but we certainly are going to pass from Vilnius, Tallin and Riga.
Any birdwatching place with good chances along this approximated itinerary will be therefore welcome! I have got the Gorman's book but it is not easy to understand which spot is better than the others (and I certainly will have not enough time to visit all of them)
regards
Stefano

PS: I have sent a PM to you
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: