• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lausanne/Geneva in june (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

Hello all,
I may have a couple of days in western Switzerland in late June this year. I wonder if anyone has any good spots accessible by public transport in the general area. Sites for Pygmy owl, wallcreeper, alpine accentor particularly welcome. I have the helm where to watch birds book but it’s pretty old now. But rochers de naye above Montreux looks pretty good.
I have the feeling those targets will be pretty hard but at least the scenery ought to be good.
Thanks
James

Hi James,

I think you have chances for the Accentor at Rochers de Naye.

For Wallcreeper better go a little higher up. Tour d'Ai/Leysin is not far and should be a good spot. Alpine Accenter should also be there of course

Pygmy Owl are calling until into June, so you could have some chances looking for them. I think better look for them in the Jura, they have quite some high density there and its easy to access. I don't know any specific locations there, but you could try either driving the roads going up there (e.g. Col de Marchairuz) and have some stops for listening at dusk or dawn, or do a hike in the upper ranges.

thanks for the advice again Florian,
I think i will head up into the mountains with some hope but no expectations of my targets, and hopefully will at least see some good butterflies etc.
cheers,
James

In case anyone is interested, I visited Rochers de Naye in June. It is a truly spectacular location. Get the first train up to beat the crowds and take plenty of water as the restaurant/shop at the summit is ludicrously expensive. Alpine chough, Citril finch, ring ouzel, water pipit all easy, alpine accentor also present but more difficult. Also saw honey buzzard soaring over the peaks and firecrest, crested and willow tit in the woods below. Good range of butterflies and a chamois seen from the rack railway on the way up.
I also visited the les grangettes reserve on the lakeside by villeneuve. Most interesting bird great reed warbler.
Cheers
James

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back