• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-winged kite Lourdes Airport? (1 Viewer)

Jhanlon

I thought I had one today at Lourdes-Tarbes Airport as the plane was taking off but obviously not seen too well from aboard the accelerating aircraft! Is anyone aware of previous sightings at this airport? It’s not so far from Pau where I’ve heard they’ve been seen. Distinctive bird and plenty of tourists (& birders?) must pass through here.

Here's the Aquitaine distribution map for 2018

http://www.faune-aquitaine.org/index.php?m_id=30264

They are certainly well distributed in that area, but still not easy to find (I've failed up to now). One day ....

One poster on Gallery had one above his garden in the Lot, but ID'd it as a Kestrel.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=596867

Seems he did not read my pm or comment (nor anyone else) and I had to get a moderator to change the ID.

P.S. I commend the faune-aquitaine website to any birder visiting the area. Good source of info and a great place to log your sightings.

Mick

Last edited:
I thought I had one today at Lourdes-Tarbes Airport as the plane was taking off but obviously not seen too well from aboard the accelerating aircraft! Is anyone aware of previous sightings at this airport? It’s not so far from Pau where I’ve heard they’ve been seen. Distinctive bird and plenty of tourists (& birders?) must pass through here.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised, their stronghold in France is in the SW and they are spreading slowly north and seemingly increasing at a steady rate as you can probably imagine from all the records in the netherlands etc etc. I've even found one where I live near Verdun in November 2009 so they're a species very much on the up.

It’s pretty difficult not to see them at Pau airport, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if they were at Lourdes too.

Just back from the area and there's a pair nesting within clear view of the southern end of the runway. Also seen at Pau to the south of that runway.

They have been regular winter visitors to lourdes airport for about 8/9 years. This years pair were my first breeding here although they have got closer recently...

Rain has got worse Dragnil!

Here's the Aquitaine distribution map for 2018

http://www.faune-aquitaine.org/index.php?m_id=30264

They are certainly well distributed in that area, but still not easy to find (I've failed up to now). One day ....

One poster on Gallery had one above his garden in the Lot, but ID'd it as a Kestrel.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=596867

Seems he did not read my pm or comment (nor anyone else) and I had to get a moderator to change the ID.

P.S. I commend the faune-aquitaine website to any birder visiting the area. Good source of info and a great place to log your sightings.

Mick

We drop into a bit of a black hole here for observations - funnily enough the airport at Lourdes is the current limit of the LPO Aquitaine site. It doesn't cover Lourdes, my valley or Bagneres. I was told that a new faune-france site was being constructed where we would exist!

As for the distribution of BS Kites - Pau is our best nearest site (just because its signposted) but the northern end (record for me 12 birds around and over airport). The traditional stronghold is Pau north to Aire sur Adour and east to Vic. Birds are no longer counted or monitored here as numbers of pairs have passed 200....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back